Ireland’s Churchill Cup squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t-quin

Speaking from a quins perspective Ross should be a challenger for the full Irish team.He's been a consistent performer this year.From what i can gather Tony Buckley is a second/third choiceprop for Munster. Is the GP so underrated in Ireland?

It is by some. But the argument they would put forward as to why it's not up to thehype would beto do with the words bash and bosh. In terms of front five play there would be a lot of respect for it, the intensity can't be questioned.I've seen Ross play twice this year and he did well inboth games - very solid scrummager. But the Irish management are loathe to give off the impression thatas soon asyou make first XV in the GP you're in with a shout - you generally have to put down at least 2 good seasons there before you'll be considered and even then it'll be a case of being quite a bit stronger than your Ireland-based competitor. To be honest I agree with the policy for the most part - there'd be a flood of young players leaving if the policy wasn't in place. Ross was beaten to a spot on the Argentinian tour by another GP based player anyway - Bracken, who's had an average season but he has had the English captain keeping him off the team. He was outstanding this time last season and deserves a shot I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by curmudgeon

He is2 or3 years (edited - thought it was more) older Joey and tbh Cronin from what I hear is already as good as him.

So, Sewa,your argument is just based on hearsay?

BTW rave reviews across the pond dont always add up to much. I'd rather see what a guy is like myself b/4 deciding he is good enough. Some of those saying he should be up there havent even seen him play.

Obviously, only when it suits you.

I've seen both Varley and Cronin but not that much as AIL games in Limerick are a bit awkward when your based in Cork and have a young family. A lot of thepeople commenting on Ross (with obvious exceptions) havent seen him at all.
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

It's good to see Hurley and McGovern in the not considered list - which like the rest I'm taking as not available. If it hadn't been for Cardiff injury I think Hurley would have been pushing for full squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn Run

Hard to believe that Donnacha Ryan and James Coughlan have been left out, streets ahead of some of the above forwards.

Good to see Cronin and Earls being picked.
          AFAIK Donnacha Ryan is sitting his finals in May. This may also be the reason for a couple of other absentees ?

Comment

Originally posted by Corker
            Originally posted by Dawn Run

Hard to believe that Donnacha Ryan and James Coughlan have been left out, streets ahead of some of the above forwards.

Good to see Cronin and Earls being picked.

AFAIK Donnacha Ryan is sitting his finals in May. This may also be the reason for a couple of other absentees ?

Thought it was injury too

Comment

Working...
            X