Should Reddan or Boss be 2nd Irish 9?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Reddan or Boss be 2nd Irish 9?

Just looking at semi of HC over weekend and also in light of Reddan's superb form of late I wonder what people think. As against this Boss has been solid all season, he has acquired a fair bit of top test time and he is probably more physical around the fringes versus Reddan's speed and eye for a gap.
    Eoin Reddan
    0%
    Isaac Boss
    0%
    An Other
    0%

alas they are just north munster now.......

Missed wasp's game at the weekend but the last few times I've seen Reddan he has been excellent. A big HEC final performance should have him ahead of Boss, though Reddan playing that gamewill mean that Boss is a cert to start the first game against the Argies.

Comment

Reddan, Boss isn't good enough or actually Irish. If we were hard
      pressed or Boss was much better than Reddan than sure we should play
      him, but he isn't. He was a journeyman in NZ and he's only slightly
      better than that here.

Reddan on the other hand, well, ok, he's not much better than Boss but
      he's playing at a higher level and like I said, all other tihngs being
      equal, we should play someone who's actually Irish.
      It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

If EOS is picking on form then there is only one choice, Mr Reddan!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic

better than that here.

Define Irish

On form, it would have to be Reddan, possibly as the starter at that.
          Comment

better than that here.

Bit harsh on Boss Joey, he's a bit young to be labelled a journeyman and I was also impressed that unlike his Ulster team-mates he sings Amhran na bhfiann!

Comment

Personally speaking, I'd limit it to someone born or substantially reared
              in Ireland, for example, I'd much rather see Sexton play for Ireland
              ahead of Manning if both were equally good, or even if Sexton was only
              marginally worse. If Manning starts playing like Dan Carter then I'd find
              a way to get over myself.

I'm not massively against non-Irish people who's parents are Irish
              playing for Ireland but I'm not a huge fan of it either, obviously I'm
              happy out to have guys like O'kelly and Easterby knocking around but
              they were both better than other Irish qualified players, imo, Boss isn't.
              It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Personally speaking, I'd limit it to someone born or substantially reared
                in Ireland, for example, I'd much rather see Sexton play for Ireland
                ahead of Manning if both were equally good, or even if Sexton was only
                marginally worse. If Manning starts playing like Dan Carter then I'd find
                a way to get over myself.

I'm not massively against non-Irish people who's parents are Irish
                playing for Ireland but I'm not a huge fan of it either, obviously I'm
                happy out to have guys like O'kelly and Easterby knocking around but
                they were both better than other Irish qualified players, imo, Boss isn't.

Good Grief what a pathetic post, cope yourself on

Comment

Well argued, I have copped myself on now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill
                    better than that here.

Define Irish

i would agree with that his passing looks good enough not nearly as fast as stringers but still everything else is going for him, youth, speed, breaking ability but we were saying the same thing about isaac boss a few months ago...

Comment

On form Reddan but it's just down to form, form should also apply to Stringer, if he isn't playing well then he should be dropped.

Joey thank you for proving my point that much of the criticism that i read about is nothing to do with his pass but more to do with the fact he wasn't born in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Drahcir

Originally posted by Dave Cahill
                        better than that here.

Define Irish

i would agree with that his passing looks good enough not nearly as fast as stringers but still everything else is going for him, youth, speed, breaking ability but we were saying the same thing about isaac boss a few months ago...

We were indeed and since then has Boss been proved to be not up to the job? He played well against France and very well against Australia. I agree that Reddan should be ahead of Boss on form but i don't think we should be writing Hugo off either...

Comment

Actually Blackadder, my point is that I still rate both of them well below
                          Stringer, as, imo, neither have great passes. But between them it's
                          close so why go with the guy that spent most of his life wanting to play
                          for New Zealand? Is an Irish jersey still that cheap or did we learn
                          nothing from the Brian Smith saga?

On Boss playing well against France? You're surely only saying that to
                          rise me?

Comment

Actually Blackadder, my point is that I still rate both of them well below
                            Stringer, as, imo, neither have great passes. But between them it's
                            close so why go with the guy that spent most of his life wanting to play
                            for New Zealand? Is an Irish jersey still that cheap or did we learn
                            nothing from the Brian Smith saga?

On Boss playing well against France? You're surely only saying that to
                            rise me?

Nope not at all, this gets me, you see there were times in the past when we had the old ROG v Humph debate and even when i knew ROG was the best man for the job i'd still argue the toss for Humph due to provincial bias, however hand on heart i really do not understand the criticism of Boss after the French game, no he wasn't outstanding but to say he was poor or didn't play well is just wrong. so i do wonder whether the criticism of Boss was due to the fact he was born in New Zealand, i suppose at least with Stringer at scrum half at least one of our half backs is irish...

Comment

Never had you pegged as a blood and soil mystic Joe.[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]Personally a player's original nationality wouldn't be of any importance to me as long as they are willing to give their all for the 80 minutes.

In the interest of preserving the direction of the thread I think Reddan has developed into an excellent player in the last season, the accuracy and speedof his passingputs him ahead of Boss already.If he keeps going as he is I don't see why he couldn't challenge Stringer's place, he seems like he could bea much more rounded player.
                              "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Working...
                              X