X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike Gibson wins damages

The player, for those who remember..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37055675.html

ONE of Ireland's greatest ever rugby players is to receive "substantial" damages over false allegations that he manipulated team selection to ensure his position for the British and Irish Lions.
    The publishers of a book on the legendary 1971 tour to New Zealand also issued an apology to Mike Gibson as part of a settlement announced at the High Court in Belfast.
    Mr Gibson sued for libel over comments in 'When Lions Roared', which chronicled the Lions only ever series victory against the All Blacks.
    His barrister, Hugh MacMahon, confirmed today that defamation proceedings against Polaris Publishing Ltd and the book's authors are to be stayed.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

"The first edition of 'When Lions Roared' included a quote from John Spencer which stated, in effect, that Mike Gibson manipulated team selection to guarantee his own position as a test centre, which had caused John Spencer and other centres to miss out on test selection".

Spencer was not fit to lace his boots not to mind take his place but somehow this seems screwball after all this time and Spencer was the manager of the Lions last tour in NZ, hard to believe he would hold such an allegation for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      "The first edition of 'When Lions Roared' included a quote from John Spencer which stated, in effect, that Mike Gibson manipulated team selection to guarantee his own position as a test centre, which had caused John Spencer and other centres to miss out on test selection".

Spencer was not fit to lace his boots not to mind take his place but somehow this seems screwball after all this time and Spencer was the manager of the Lions last tour in NZ, hard to believe he would hold such an allegation for so long.
      Well said. Spencer and Duckham were the darlings of the English media at the time but Spencer was nowhere near as good as Duckham and a long way further back in class from Gibson. Mike Gibson was a 10/12 of world class ability and stature, every bit as good or better than BOD and was seen as the Lions’ best back by New Zealand critics at the time.

Comment

They must have great memories.
        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
          Less concussions back then

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
            I never forget.

Comment

My memory of Duckham was of a winger rather than a centre. Still, wasn't in the same class as Gibson.
              Its deja vu all over again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent boy 2 View Post
                My memory of Duckham was of a winger rather than a centre. Still, wasn't in the same class as Gibson.
                Duckham was a winger and a centre, he and Spencer played side by side in the English backline. They were invariably mentioned in the same sentence in newspaper reports. I’d love to know how he thought Gibson manipulated selection. Dawes was Captain of the Lions and played outside centre; initially he was fortunate to be a test selection, probably because he was the captain, but he dovetailed in very well with Gibson and a mostly Welsh backfield.
                Last edited by RichardP; 30th-June-2018, 14:09.

Comment

My first memory of Duckham was him being turfed into the front row at Twickenham by an Irish wing, either Tom Grace or Alan Duggan AFAIR.

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent boy 2 View Post

Mainly they played a left/right system, depending how Barry John called moves, they played very much off the cuff from play to play, defensively Dawes went to an IC position, the King was not noted for his tackling, neither did he think he should.

Willie John came and spoke at my present club a few years ago, I am a life member of yours, collected him from the airport, was amazed when he said, Duckham and himself + wives head off to Barbados area for a couple of weeks every Feb/Mar for the last 30 years, the roots of solving the NI problem about Scots etc., not turning up to play, was their backdoor friendship, has stood the test of time.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
                      Duckham was a winger and a centre, he and Spencer played side by side in the English backline. They were invariably mentioned in the same sentence in newspaper reports. I’d love to know how he thought Gibson manipulated selection. Dawes was Captain of the Lions and played outside centre; initially he was fortunate to be a test selection, probably because he was the captain, but he dovetailed in very well with Gibson and a mostly Welsh backfield.
                      I think Dawes has been underrated in the history of the game, possibly because he was not a flashy player. He was a great distributor, game reader, defender and leader who was solid as a rock and more than adequate in attack too. Agree that his partnership with Gibson was one of the best ever Lions pairings.
                      Duckham (discussed above) started as a good centre and developed into an outstanding wing with a fantastic step and gas to burn.
                      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                      X