Next Irish Full Back- Larmour?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Irish Full Back- Larmour?

Impressive cameo from him today. Looked better than Bobert everywhere. Conway's in the mix too...

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
    Impressive cameo from him today. Looked better than Bobert everywhere. Conway's in the mix too...
    With Haley coming I’m not sure if Conway will be playing much at 15. Larmour looked the business today but with Rob at Leinster he may not play 15 much either.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
      With Haley coming I’m not sure if Conway will be playing much at 15. Larmour looked the business today but with Rob at Leinster he may not play 15 much either.
      Leo Cullen is less devoted to the undroppable Bobbert than is Schmidt. He gave Larmour a few starts this season. I think that next year Larmour will play his way on to at least the Leinster (if not the national-) team by sheer talent that will be hard for any coach to ignore. He is improving with every opportunity had seems to have the big game temperament.
      Ireland's best four back three players are Larmour, Conway, Earls and Stockdale. I'd be happy with any three starting and the other on the bench (that includes any consideration of Carbery as a possible 15.)
      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

It's been a great series for him and I'd certainly be putting my money on him being at 15 for the world cup. He's gone from looking pretty unsure of himself in his 6 nations cameos and even the first test, to a great showing the final test where he clearly improved the team.

Not wishing to continue the Kearney bashing, but a comparison of the 2 going into contact is world's apart. Larmour got us multiple meters on a few occasions, and that's after making good ground by avoiding contact in the first place. Kearney on the other hand after we conceded the try ran straight into contact, went backwards, and got turned over. That was a key moment that if Australia capitalised on would have cost us the game and a more dynamic full back like Larmour would have got us out of that trouble.
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

With Piutau gone we might see a bit of Stockdale at 15 for Ulster too. Another option in the mix.

Comment

That was impressive from Larmour. That was a big pressure game and he took to it like a duck to water. You'd feel a lot more confident about him after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              With Piutau gone we might see a bit of Stockdale at 15 for Ulster too. Another option in the mix.
              Stockdale was a pretty good FB for the Ireland U20s. He can be very effective galloping through the midfield at pace as we saw in a couple of his early games for Ireland. Decent enough boot on him too.
              Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                Stockdale was a pretty good FB for the Ireland U20s. He can be very effective galloping through the midfield at pace as we saw in a couple of his early games for Ireland. Decent enough boot on him too.
                And he’s a big unit, which would help in the air against the likes of Folau.

Comment

I think Larmour looks like a smarter player than Stockdale. Intelligence is important at full back. Stockdale is fine on the wing. I think he'd struggle at full back at the highest level.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                    I think Larmour looks like a smarter player than Stockdale. Intelligence is important at full back. Stockdale is fine on the wing. I think he'd struggle at full back at the highest level.
                    Not sure he is smarter.. Would like to see more of Stockdale at 15 with Ulster.

Comment

Either Conway, Lamour or TOH. Outside bet for Haley if he hits fire early. Plenty of options of which Kearney should not be one heading into next season, his series v oz was simply awful. Another year older and he just won't be at the level, he simply can't tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                        Either Conway, Lamour or TOH. Outside bet for Haley if he hits fire early. Plenty of options of which Kearney should not be one heading into next season, his series v oz was simply awful. Another year older and he just won't be at the level, he simply can't tackle.
                        I dont think TOH is anywhere in the mix not sure why but must assume he has not taken direction from Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by maxer View Post
                          I dont think TOH is anywhere in the mix not sure why but must assume he has not taken direction from Joe.
                          Odd one, Joe doesn't seem to like him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                            They are still both kids and have plenty of time to develop. Each has the advantage of real pace, pretty good basic skills, physicality and a competitive attitude. Plenty of back three players are equally comfortable at wing or FB. The current classic example is NZ's Ben Smith who is outstanding in either slot. It does a young player no harm at all to gain experience in both positions, and round out his game.
                            Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                              They are still both kids and have plenty of time to develop. Each has the advantage of real pace, pretty good basic skills, physicality and a competitive attitude. Plenty of back three players are equally comfortable at wing or FB. The current classic example is NZ's Ben Smith who is outstanding in either slot. It does a young player no harm at all to gain experience in both positions, and round out his game.
                              Absolutely. I hope Ulster play Stockdale at 15. If he goes well there then I'd be happy for him to play 15 for Ireland. It may be that he is being more targetted after a great season and Larmour is the unknown who is therefore given a little more space and time to exploit but I felt Larmour's decision making over the test series was better than Stockdale's.

Comment

Working...
                              X