Team of the tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team of the tournament

This day after is too quiet for me... Where are the rows between fans concerning the players, the coach, the game optioins and so on?..
    Let us put some oil on a too peaceful fire.
    Who could play in YOUR personal team of the 6N 2018?
    I begin. But it's only a personal appreciation

15: Rob Kearney (Ire): Disastrous first game in Paris, impressive rebirth after that as he nearly went back to his past performances
    14: Keith Earls (Ire): Not only a unidimensional winger as could be the rivals on the post. A permanent threat everywhere on the pitch, terrific pace, and if you refuse to give the occasion to him to score more (Hein, RK and JL?..), he becomes a beast in defense and a creator in the midfield. With Keith, everything can happen everywhere in offense AND defense.
    13: Huw Jones (Sco): Huw Jones played both at 12 and at 13 in the tournament. Began at 12 in Wales with the defeat we saw, and then had a really good competition at 13, especially against England and France, and even against Ireland even if he butchered a winning 2-on-1 which could have put us in great trouble. Garry Ringrose was not so "flashy", but concerning a young lad coming back from an injury, he was much more than satisfying, and the promisses he let discover in the last years will surely be confirmed in the near future.
    12: Mathieu Bastareaud (Fra): I have to conceed, I do not appreciate this kind of player. I was brought up with the images of Jo Maso, Jean Trillo, Mike Gibson, Ian McGeechan, John Dawes, Jean-Pierre Lux, Didier Codorniou, Denis Charvet, Philipe Sella, Tim Horan, BOD, Gordon d'arcy and I am more interrested in players like Anton-Lienert Brown, Conrad Smith, Ryan Crotty, Huw Jones or Gary Ringrose, but rugby changed with the time, and I have to conceed that the place taken by a defenseman like the RCT player seems to be inevitable. And the debate is there: What would I pick in the midfield 12, a rock, or a playmaker? A playmaker like Andy Farrell failed this season. A rock like Bundee Aki, much more interresting in attack as the french player should have been my choice. Or a spectacular torpedo like Huw Jones. But the influence taken by the juggernaut from Créteil in the french catenaccio is so impressive, that I had to resolve myself to pick him C'est la vie.
    11: Jacob Stockdale (Ire): Who else. The young lad is a beast in attack, is fast, skilled and opportunistic. Some progress in defense needed, but a spectacular 6N record scorer.
    10: Johnny Sexton (Ire)/9:Connor Murray (Ire): Excepted, maybe, the pair Aaron Smith/Beauden Barrett, there is no halfbacks who can compete with the irish pair. How both manage and controle the game is simply amazing. In defense, they are terrific. Johnny offered the Grand Slam in Paris as he scored his drop-goal, but if you watch the action again, in an impressive collective action with 41 steps, both showed nearly extraordinary abilities to manage the event, sang-froid, and top skills.
    1: Cian Healy (Ire): The beast is definitively back: Top in scrum, destructive in attack, the archetype of the modern prop.
    2: Stuart McInally (Sco): I hesitated a long time between him and Capt'ain Rory. But the terrific activity of the Scot in defense, in the rucks and in attact make him in my opinion the most complete hooker of the tournament. After all, Rory will be forever the leader of the group that gained the European Graal in England on a Paddy's day, and that's already the highest reward (Much more important than my opinion anyway... )
    3: Tadgh Furlong: What I wrote about Cian Healy is even more true for the man from Wexford. A juggernaut in attack, a monster in scrum. Not far to be the best 3 in the world.
    4: James Ryan (Ire): Sincerely, Ryan's performances impressed me for such a young player in a position where the height of lock's power comes later. He was strong, dynamic, took his part in line-outs and contributed to the good performances of the scrum. What a baptism of fire for the young!
    5: Alun Win Jones (Wal): The reference in Europe for me because of his leadership, his influence on the welsh game, his performances in the mauls, in the line-outs, in the welsh defense. But with young ambitious players like James Ryan, Ian Henderson, Scott Cummins, Maro Itoje the challenge for the future best lock in Europe will be tough.
    6: Peter O'Mahony (Ire): Aie aie aie... Peter O', John Barclay, Aaron Shingler... One Munsterman, two Scarlets. The Ironman of Cork is a master piece in the irish pack. His productions in the set pieces and the contests, in defense are unbelievable. All that make him in my opinion, and far away from any chauvinism, the best of the three named players. But I really like John Barclay for his bravery, his dynamism, his constancy, maybe too because he is more to be seen in attack than POM. Aaron Shingler would deserve much more gametime than Gatland allows to him.
    8: CJ Stander (Ire): CJ looked a bit tired and underpowered at the beginning of the tournament. But as time went, the tank from Western-Cape improved like a good Elgin wine. This man is so threatening as he carries the ball that he magnetizes two or three defenders. And the fantastic try he scored in Twicks is the deserved reward for the impact he produces in the game when he is in form.
    7: Dan Leavy (Ire): THE revelation for me. Among a terrific irish and most of all Leinster backrowers nursery, it's hard to get a place. And the young Dubliner had a great screen presence. Terrific in the contests, very good dynamic ball carrier, permanent support, tough, relentless, the lad has a bright future . Not far to be the best irish player of the tournament imho, but it's so hard to put ONE player from the team... This said, let's keep an eye on the french young lad from Aubervilliers Yacouba Camara who was imho the best and most constant french player in the whole tournament.

Voilà, here is my opinion, i am ok and I share it with myself, but it is only a personal vision.
    Fact is anyway that England, the great favorite lacked of fuel and really disappointed, and that Ireland is getting a new dynasty that will give us great pleasure under Joe's direction. Scotland is still an exciting team with a lot of spectacular intentions, but lazy leaders like Russell, Metland or Laidlaw can spoil them. In the wake of the Scarlets, Wales is still a top nation, and France produced indeed much more than expected, leaned back on terrific defensive qualities. This was a compact tournament, after all we had a good competition where all could happen, where most of the games were tough and uncertain, where the scales could have tipped in an other (wrong concerning us in Paris, or against Scotland and Wales) way. But all that makes the pleasure even greater, don't you think?
    Last edited by JN.Allezdax.com; 18th-March-2018, 20:28.
    "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Guirado was the best hooker by a long distance.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Could easily put the Italian fullback in also

Comment

Agreed on Guilhelm Guirado and on Huw Jones and young Camara too.
        Gwan Dan Leavy!
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

1. Kearney
          2. Kearney
          3. Kearney
          4. Kearney
          5. Kearney
          6. Kearney
          7. Kearney
          8. Kearney
          9. Kearney
          10. Kearney
          11. Kearney
          12. Kearney
          13. Kearney
          14. The other Kearney
          15. Zebo
          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
            7: Dan Leavy (Ire): THE revelation for me. Among a terrific irish and most of all Leinster backrowers nursery, it's hard to get a place. And the young Dubliner had a great screen presence. Terrific in the contests, very good dynamic ball carrier, permanent support, tough, relentless, the lad has a bright future . Not far to be the best irish player of the tournament imho, but it's so hard to put ONE player from the team... This said, let's keep an eye on the french young lad from Aubervilliers Yacouba Camara who was imho the best and most constant french player in the whole tournament.
            'Quinnie's gonna ge, sorry sorry...
            Outlaw's gonna get ya, Outlaw's gonna get ya'

I'd pick the Italian fullback also, his first championship and he looks like a great little player. Guirardo was a total warrior for France, he gave them believe where they may have faltered.

Comment

Indeed Negri was really strong in a a terribly weak team. Their Fullback Minozzi was strong too.
              But, par pitié!, Guirado defends and that's all. And he spend most of the time on the WRONG side of the rucks. McInally, Best, Hartley are miles ahead of him. And what Pélissié, who played in the ProD2 last year under Jeremy Davidson's direction showed yesterday was much more promissing than the french "captain" showed. And wait to see Pierre Bourgarit, the torpedo hooker from la Rochelle... Spectacular player.
              But stop with this, you will think I appreciate the french rugby, and that's not the case at all, oh non!!!!
              "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

The Italian fullback has to be in there he is lightening...No english players is crazy but accurate

Jonny Gray over AWJ also
                Last edited by Thorns; 18th-March-2018, 17:53.

Comment

Official Player of the Tournament - vote here.

Nominees:
                  Keith Earls
                  Guilhem Guirado
                  Matteo Minozzi
                  Conor Murray
                  Johnny Sexton
                  Jacob Stockdale

2 Munster players. Not bad. I voted for Earls.

"I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Would have voted for Murton or Sexray for my part...

Comment

I voted for Murray
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Murray but I think Guirado has been fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I voted Earls

Comment

Earls..unsung hero

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
                            Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. (Marcus Aurelius, 121-189 AD)

Comment

Earls, although no complaints if one of the other Irish players on the shortlist got it

Comment

Working...
                              X