Is it time for Tier 2, 5 nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it time for Tier 2, 5 nations

Watching Italy get another hammering, is it feasible for a new Tier 2 competition of 5 nations with Italy dropping out of the 6 N
    Italy
    Spain
    Georgia
    Romania
    Portugal
    etc
    Italy’s record in 6 N
    86 or so games played. 11 wins
    Would also shorten the season for the players
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
    Watching Italy get another hammering, is it feasible for a new Tier 2 competition of 5 nations with Italy dropping out of the 6 N
    Italy
    Spain
    Georgia
    Romania
    Portugal
    etc
    Italy’s record in 6 N
    No. We already have a tier 2 competition and there is a 6 nations B in the form of the european nations cup which has a championship, trophy then conference 1 and 2 which are split north and south. We cant afford to lose Italy and nobody wants the Italians to go for any reason.

Comment

Why not? If Italy aren't stepping up the the mark, then why not Georgia or other countries? I've been a big advocate of giving the Italians time to get competitive, but its nearly 20 years and they are still pretty awful.

As per the RWC decision, at the end of the day the rugby hierarchy aren't interested in broading the appeal of the game, but rather with advertising and marketing.

Italy is very attractive that way. Georgia, Romania not so much.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        Why not? If Italy aren't stepping up the the mark, then why not Georgia or other countries? I've been a big advocate of giving the Italians time to get competitive, but its nearly 20 years and they are still pretty awful.

As per the RWC decision, at the end of the day the rugby hierarchy aren't interested in broading the appeal of the game, but rather with advertising and marketing.

Italy is very attractive that way. Georgia, Romania not so much.
        But we have a second tier and third/fourth/fifth in europe but the top level is closed off. I dont think we necessarily should introduce promotion and relegation yearly but a proper european championship once every 4 years would be great.
        Yes Italy are not totally competitive nearly 20 years on but how many others would be in less time/similar?

Comment

It was time for a route for the tier 2 nations into the 6N about a decade ago. Sadly that doesn't appeal to the old boys club financially. Nothing will change unless the tier two nation making the strongest case happens to be a wealthy one like Germany or Russia.

Comment

If there was promotion and relegation introduced would the other 5 teams adhere to it without throwing the toys out of the pram if they somehow end up with the wooden spoon?

Comment

Maybe following the PRL model we could have no relegation/promotion, or only in seasons when Wales or Scotland come last...more seriously, if it comes to SA wanting to pitch in, I suspect PRL would move heaven and earth to incorporate them (inc having 2 divisions)

Comment

I'd be a bit cautious myself as I well remember serial wooden spoons for Irish teams. We've had a fantastic crop of players for 10-15 years now, but we have 'won' plenty of wooden spoons- thank you. It is quite a change to be in a position where we are criticizing wins. We'd have taken any type of victory fado fado.
                "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  But we have a second tier and third/fourth/fifth in europe but the top level is closed off. I dont think we necessarily should introduce promotion and relegation yearly but a proper european championship once every 4 years would be great.
                  Yes Italy are not totally competitive nearly 20 years on but how many others would be in less time/similar?
                  I think Georgia, and to a lesser extent Romania, would be far more competitive in a few years.

It's all a bit moot though, as there is virtually no chance of it happening.
                  Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                    I think Georgia, and to a lesser extent Romania, would be far more competitive in a few years.

It's all a bit moot though, as there is virtually no chance of it happening.
                    Im not sure Georgia would be far more competitive but all the 6 nations countries need to play the Georgians/Romanians especially in Georgia/Romania to see how good they are.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                      Italy
                      Spain
                      Georgia
                      Romania
                      Portugal
                      etc
                      Italy’s record in 6 N
                      Did you watch what happened to the Scots?
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Six nations unions won't share the money with anyone.

And anyway how much TV revenue are Georgia and Romania going to bring to the table?

Russia would be a different proposition if they brought Gazprom along as a sponsor. But would you want Gazprom involved?
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                          Would be great to play a Euro championship when the Lions tour is on. Something like 4 pools of 3 with semi-final and final. Would be huge for the likes of Georgia and Romania.

Comment

Can't see them putting in relegation into the 6 Nations. Too much money at stake. The unions depend on it.

Could maybe see them expanding it alright. Especially the way things are going with Super Rugby and South Africa at the moment. And there plans of entering Pumas & Griquas as well into the PRO14.

Georgia & Romania could piggy back on it as well. Not sure how it would work though. 9 Nations? Would hate to see group/conferences. 8 games would be too much.

Plus the English clubs would go nuts...
                            "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                              Would be great to play a Euro championship when the Lions tour is on. Something like 4 pools of 3 with semi-final and final. Would be huge for the likes of Georgia and Romania.
                              It would be interesting. But Georgians, Romanians really need more games in November and June then they get. Like when we go south to Australia/New Zealand it would be great if we played one test on the way against a romania or georgia. Same with Aussies etc in November.

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                              Can't see them putting in relegation into the 6 Nations. Too much money at stake. The unions depend on it.

Could maybe see them expanding it alright. Especially the way things are going with Super Rugby and South Africa at the moment. And there plans of entering Pumas & Griquas as well into the PRO14.

Georgia & Romania could piggy back on it as well. Not sure how it would work though. 9 Nations? Would hate to see group/conferences. 8 games would be too much.

Plus the English clubs would go nuts...
                              Yeah nothing will ever change when 80% of IRFUs annual income comes from international game and same for other unions.

Comment

Working...
                              X