Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time for Tier 2, 5 nations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
    Watching Italy get another hammering, is it feasible for a new Tier 2 competition of 5 nations with Italy dropping out of the 6 N
    Italy
    Spain
    Georgia
    Romania
    Portugal
    etc
    Italy’s record in 6 N
    86 or so games played. 11 wins
    Would also shorten the season for the players
    Sport is made up of has beens everywhere . Expecting all teams to be at the same level is silly.

    Italy played better rugby today then we did yesterday. At least the game was watchable. It's a 10 year job for them and even they'll still be average. You're hardly expecting Burnley to win the Premership?
    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by KerryRed View Post

      Plus the English clubs would go nuts...
      That's the reason we should go for it.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
        Sport is made up of has beens everywhere . Expecting all teams to be at the same level is silly.

        Italy played better rugby today then we did yesterday. At least the game was watchable. It's a 10 year job for them and even they'll still be average. You're hardly expecting Burnley to win the Premership?
        Ah get up the yard. I know I shouldn't rise to it but I fear that if you don't get a reaction soon you'll go to ever more extremes to get the attention you crave.

        Ireland beat France in Paris for the third time since 1972. They dominated possession (crucial part of rugby union) and had a very low error count in terrible conditions. Italy got spanked at home against a very good but injury depleted English team. They rolled over and had their bellies tickled in the second half.

        If that's what you want I have a bag full of videos and DVDs of Ireland from 1985-1999 in the attic that I can sell you so you can watch glorious defeat 'till the cows come home.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Piquet View Post
          That's the reason we should go for it.
          It would be amusing until they throw a tantrum and threaten to go on strike. Then it would be like the Heineken Cup all over again.
          "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

          Comment


            #20
            The future for "minor nations" is in the club game, I'm convinced.

            The revenues from the 6 nations won't divide by 7, and relegation would require parachute payments.

            It works ok in cricket. Break the notionally mutually exclusive definitions, and allow them to compete as clubs.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

            "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


            "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by FinnoFC View Post
              If there was promotion and relegation introduced would the other 5 teams adhere to it without throwing the toys out of the pram if they somehow end up with the wooden spoon?
              This will never happen, too much chance France wont turn up one year and be relegated taking a lot of revenue with them

              Comment


                #22
                It's only week 1 of 5 guys. The only time to judge where teams are at is after week 5.

                Both Treviso and Zebre have improved this season. Personally I'm against it. In recent years both France and Scotland have finished last. I can't imagine a 6 Nations with Italy and Georgia/Romania in it. Would completely dilute the value of the tournament.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post
                  Ah get up the yard. I know I shouldn't rise to it but I fear that if you don't get a reaction soon you'll go to ever more extremes to get the attention you crave.

                  Ireland beat France in Paris for the third time since 1972. They dominated possession (crucial part of rugby union) and had a very low error count in terrible conditions. Italy got spanked at home against a very good but injury depleted English team. They rolled over and had their bellies tickled in the second half.

                  If that's what you want I have a bag full of videos and DVDs of Ireland from 1985-1999 in the attic that I can sell you so you can watch glorious defeat 'till the cows come home.
                  I’d like to see us go to a World Cup and do something . So why don’t you get up the yard my ould mucker

                  This low risk rubbish to watch will get us 6 nations success and a customary quarter final 2019 exit

                  I look forward to reading your nonsense explanation of why it went wrong
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                    It's only week 1 of 5 guys. The only time to judge where teams are at is after week 5.

                    Both Treviso and Zebre have improved this season. Personally I'm against it. In recent years both France and Scotland have finished last. I can't imagine a 6 Nations with Italy and Georgia/Romania in it. Would completely dilute the value of the tournament.
                    This . They are improving . And they played some good rugby at times yesterday . Finally getting their structures right

                    This is why rugby will always be a minority sport . The preserve of the elite
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                      This . They are improving . And they played some good rugby at times yesterday . Finally getting their structures right

                      This is why rugby will always be a minority sport . The preserve of the elite
                      If Italy improved there accuracy, especially in tackling they could of pushed England close Sunday. Dropping Italy achieves nothing. Just a loss in TV revenue & gate receipts. Plus highly damages the Italian clubs sides who finally look as though there on the up.

                      Won't pretend I know the solution as to Romania/Georgia. Relegation/promotion would be determental to the unions. However Romania/Georgia deserve to play bigger sides, but money dictates all. Maybe who could add them in, agree to some proportionate profit sharing scheme with them. Not sure if that would be right either. Plus more games would also add to a congestive schedule. I won't worry too much about "devaluing" the 6 Nations though.

                      Think the PRO14 should invite them into the league though. Think if there really going to progress, competitive clubs are a must.
                      "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        The future for "minor nations" is in the club game, I'm convinced.

                        The revenues from the 6 nations won't divide by 7, and relegation would require parachute payments.

                        It works ok in cricket. Break the notionally mutually exclusive definitions, and allow them to compete as clubs.
                        Possibly but how would that work. How do you break mutually exclusive definitions in europe. It works in Southern Hemisphere with Argentinians but where do Georgians fit in? Argentinians got some funding for their side in super rugby but had support from their union to have pro side. Would Georgians/Romanians be able to do it?

                        Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                        If Italy improved there accuracy, especially in tackling they could of pushed England close Sunday. Dropping Italy achieves nothing. Just a loss in TV revenue & gate receipts. Plus highly damages the Italian clubs sides who finally look as though there on the up.

                        Won't pretend I know the solution as to Romania/Georgia. Relegation/promotion would be determental to the unions. However Romania/Georgia deserve to play bigger sides, but money dictates all. Maybe who could add them in, agree to some proportionate profit sharing scheme with them. Not sure if that would be right either. Plus more games would also add to a congestive schedule. I won't worry too much about "devaluing" the 6 Nations though.

                        Think the PRO14 should invite them into the league though. Think if there really going to progress, competitive clubs are a must.
                        We need to start by all countries from 4Nations/6Nations playing them in November and June but up to world rugby to organise that. world tours schedule is in place until 2023 so would have to be after that for any change

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X