Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schmidts record the best of recent Irish managers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmidts record the best of recent Irish managers.

Win ratio of 70%, O'Sullivan next and Kidney after that, check stats on article below. Best record against southern hemisphere teams also including standout NZ victory.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/joe-schmidt-probably-isn-t-the-worst-coach-in-irish-rugby-history-1.3309864

He has flaws, who doesn't, but he has been the best manager we have had.

Statistics, Statistics and damn lies.

You can't review a win rate until he's gone. Naturally it'll be better while he's still there, as all rugby coaches careers end in failure (sacking) it's natural a sequence of losses will precede that departure, thus lower the final win/loss ratio, happened with all previous coaches.

and he's still got a worse win rate against the old enemy, England than both Cooder and Deccie
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

We had all this rubbish back in the day of Eddie O'Sullivan and then came RWC 2007.

Comment

Some post for a first post. Its clear from the language that it is not a new poster.

Its all a bit obvious imo. Fishing needs to be a bit more subtle!!!

Comment

Schmidt is not and has never been the "Irish Manager". He is, therefore, incapable of being the best (or indeed the worst) "Irish Manager"

Comment

The timing of this compilation after playing three tier 2 teams in the summer and an incredibly soft set of November fixtures but before the more challenging Six Nations and Australian series certainly seems like the intent was to present him in a favourable light. Reality is he's within 5% of EOS's margin, a coach that won nothing.
            Schmidt's actual achievements of two Six Nations on points difference and a first victory over New Zealand in a test are fair although if he's really the sort of legendary coach some bill him to be then he would surely need a grand slam at some point and a world cup semi final to justify that.

Comment

For me the acid test is winning a grand slam. So Kidney wins that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Joe rocks. End of.
                I find the relentless demonization of the finest import yet into Irish rugby to be, frankly, an embarrassment.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                  Joe rocks. End of.
                  I find the relentless demonization of the finest import yet into Irish rugby to be, frankly, an embarrassment.
                  It's just he seems stuck on the M50

Comment

Yerra he'll get there eventually
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                      For me the acid test is winning a grand slam. So Kidney wins that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Declan did it with far less trength in depth- and that was a real achievement. However, this autumn we saw an injury (and absentee) list that would have previously devastated the team- and yet we had more than enough in hand. Winning a grand slam with a small squad will always take a lot of luck, with injuries, citing a etc, conistetentky being in position to do so (which is what I want to see), depends on a squad with plenty of others not selected pressing for places. It’s not all down to Joe, but His role has beet crucial, but the wider management, IRFU and provinces have been critical to its delivery.

Comment

Up until the past year I wouldn’t have held him in higher esteem than Eddie or Deccie TBH. Selection and his slavish devotion to process over creativity was his Achilles heel, causing us to collapse at the RWC and fail to win a couple of Grand Slams that were there for the taking.

However, I think he’s finally learned that we need both more depth and, crucially, more flair in the backs and bite in the forwards.

Bar his continuing crush on the Kearney boys, his recent selections have been encouraging, and the performances have been both good and more varied.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                          Declan did it with far less trength in depth- and that was a real achievement. However, this autumn we saw an injury (and absentee) list that would have previously devastated the team- and yet we had more than enough in hand. Winning a grand slam with a small squad will always take a lot of luck, with injuries, citing a etc, conistetentky being in position to do so (which is what I want to see), depends on a squad with plenty of others not selected pressing for places. It’s not all down to Joe, but His role has beet crucial, but the wider management, IRFU and provinces have been critical to its delivery.
                          That GS team may have had limited depth but it had stars that we've not quite replaced and may never.. POC, ROG, BOD, Wally and more.

Some men.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                            The timing of this compilation after playing three tier 2 teams in the summer and an incredibly soft set of November fixtures but before the more challenging Six Nations and Australian series certainly seems like the intent was to present him in a favourable light. Reality is he's within 5% of EOS's margin, a coach that won nothing.
                            Schmidt's actual achievements of two Six Nations on points difference and a first victory over New Zealand in a test are fair although if he's really the sort of legendary coach some bill him to be then he would surely need a grand slam at some point and a world cup semi final to justify that.
                            To be fair I'd say Schmidt would agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

Reality is he's within 5% of EOS's margin, a coach that won nothing.
                              Huh?, now i know most folks here never had time for Eddie, but i do remember 3 Triple Crowns, back when they actually meant something, to us and the players.
                              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Working...
                              X