Willie Duggan RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willie Duggan RIP

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/267332/breaking-kilkenny-and-ireland-rugby-legend-willie-duggan-dies.html
    A sad loss. Genuine legend.

Last edited by Leargas; 28-August-2017, 10:53.

Sad news.
    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Sad news. Sounded like one of the the game's characters.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

The man who ran out for Ireland smoking a cigarette. A very hard man. Pleased to say I saw him play.

Comment

Duggan loathed training so much that McBride used to wonder how the Blackrock man ever won an international cap. Once when McBride was Ireland coach, Duggan arrived late for a training session and promptly lit up a cigarette in the dressing-room. When McBride suggested a warm-up Duggan waved him away. "Sure I've had the heater on in the car," Duggan replied solemnly. "I'm warm enough."

A REAL legend.

Comment

Originally posted by zeno View Post
            The man who ran out for Ireland smoking a cigarette.* A very hard man. Pleased to say I saw him play.
            * and allegedly, on one occasion handed the butt to the Touch Judge as he took to the pitch.

EDIT: According to yesterday's Irish Times, he handed the butt to Alan Hosie, the Ref from Scotland before an England game at Lansdowne.

RIP
            Last edited by Piquet; 30-August-2017, 21:01.

Comment

A sad loss and only 67.

Only caught the very end of his career but some cracking tales and anecdotes about him in that recent Tom English book on Irish rugby.

https://twitter.com/BBCTomEnglish/status/902131568394850304

Comment

Duggan, Fergus Slattery and John ODriscoll.......my introduction to rugby.
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                  Duggan, Fergus Slattery and John ODriscoll.......my introduction to rugby.
                  Bit earlier for me, Terry Moore was the No8 to look up (literally) to in my underage days. Duggan seemed a far tougher character when he came along- and was, with slattery, a great breakaway forward. 67 now seems a young age to lose someone.

Comment

Was it Willie or John ODriscoll who got gouged by Garuet ? Either way one or the other went looking for retribution .......
                    "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                      Bit earlier for me, Terry Moore was the No8 to look up (literally) to in my underage days. Duggan seemed a far tougher character when he came along- and was, with slattery, a great breakaway forward. 67 now seems a young age to lose someone.
                      Yeah I remember Terry Moore taking a lineout and falling over the line for a try in Landsdown Road, couldn't tell you who against........ Lineouts were taken on the goal line then not brought out 5 mtrs. Duggan was hard and smart.......that was some backrow trio.
                      Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

A true hard man but gifted, RIP willie
                        psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Was it Duggan or Anderson
                          "our willie is bigger than yere condom"
                          clowns

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                            Was it Duggan or Anderson
                            "our willie is bigger than yere condom"
                            Anderson (1987 Ireland v France)

Comment

RIP and condolences to his family. One of the great figures of Irish rugby.
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Working...
                              X