X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three year eligibility rule changed to five year from 2020

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/245382

WR announcement:

An historic programme of reform of rugby’s international eligibility regulation has been approved by the World Rugby Council today at its special meeting in Kyoto, Japan.
    • Regulation 8 change follows detailed review and union consultation and is designed to create a framework that protects the integrity and credibility of international rugby
    • Residency period extended from 36 consecutive months to 60 consecutive months
    • Council approves expanded voting rights for Argentina and Japan

Designed to promote and protect the integrity and sanctity of international rugby in the modern elite environment, reform of Regulation 8 follows a root-and-branch review with Council members unanimously approving the recommended increase in the required residency period to be eligible for international rugby from 36 to 60 months.

The reformed Regulation 8 ensures that a player has a genuine, close, credible and established link with the nation of representation, and the key amendments are:
    • The 36-month residency requirement is increased to 60 months with effect from 31 December, 2020 (unanimously approved)
    • The addition of a residency criteria which permits players who have 10 years of cumulative residency to be eligible (effective May 10, 2017) (unanimously approved)
    • Unions may no longer nominate their U20s team as their next senior national representative team (effective 1 January, 2018) (majority)
    • Sevens players will only be captured for the purposes of Regulation 8 where the player has represented either of (i) the senior national representative sevens team of a union where the player has reached the age of 20 on or before the date of participation; or (ii) the national representative sevens team of a union in the Olympic Games or Rugby World Cup Sevens, having reached the age of majority on or before the date of participation in such tournament (effective 1 July, 2017) (majority)
    Last edited by Late try; 10th-May-2017, 06:47.

Originally posted by Late try View Post
    http://www.worldrugby.org/news/245382

WR announcement:

An historic programme of reform of rugby’s international eligibility regulation has been approved by the World Rugby Council today at its special meeting in Kyoto, Japan.
    • Regulation 8 change follows detailed review and union consultation and is designed to create a framework that protects the integrity and credibility of international rugby
    • Residency period extended from 36 consecutive months to 60 consecutive months
    • Council approves expanded voting rights for Argentina and Japan

Designed to promote and protect the integrity and sanctity of international rugby in the modern elite environment, reform of Regulation 8 follows a root-and-branch review with Council members unanimously approving the recommended increase in the required residency period to be eligible for international rugby from 36 to 60 months.

The reformed Regulation 8 ensures that a player has a genuine, close, credible and established link with the nation of representation, and the key amendments are:
    • The 36-month residency requirement is increased to 60 months with effect from 31 December, 2020 (unanimously approved)
    • The addition of a residency criteria which permits players who have 10 years of cumulative residency to be eligible (effective May 10, 2017) (unanimously approved)
    • Unions may no longer nominate their U20s team as their next senior national representative team (effective 1 January, 2018) (majority)
    • Sevens players will only be captured for the purposes of Regulation 8 where the player has represented either of (i) the senior national representative sevens team of a union where the player has reached the age of 20 on or before the date of participation; or (ii) the national representative sevens team of a union in the Olympic Games or Rugby World Cup Sevens, having reached the age of majority on or before the date of participation in such tournament (effective 1 July, 2017) (majority)
    That's pretty fair

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

So basically any project signed between now and 31 December, 2017 will be eligible under current rules on 30 December, 2020.
      Any project signed after 31st December 2017 would have to wait till 2022 to be eligible?

Am I understanding it right or does it mean that it will only apply to project players who sign after 31 December, 2020
      Life is good

Comment

i would imagine that as of 31 dec 2020 you would need to have been resident in the country for 5 years so anyone signed before 31/12/17 would be three
        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

My take on it..

A project can be signed up to Dec 31st 2019 and will become eligible for qualification under the current rule, ie. 36 month's..

A project signed on Jan 1st 2020 , will be doing so under 6p month rule.

Therefore, it's as it was until 2020.

Could be wrong of course.

Comment

There were also changes instituted to prevent countries from capping players who are eligible to play for more than one national team as youngsters in order to prevent them from playing for another nation.

From July, Sevens players will only be "captured", or identified as having represented a country and therefore forced to go through the residency period before switching, under two criteria.

They must be 20 years old when they play for the senior sevens team of a country or represent a country at the Sevens World Cup or Olympics having reached the "age of majority".

From next year, countries will also be banned from nominating their under-20 side as their "next senior national representative team".
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
              There were also changes instituted to prevent countries from capping players who are eligible to play for more than one national team as youngsters in order to prevent them from playing for another nation.

From July, Sevens players will only be "captured", or identified as having represented a country and therefore forced to go through the residency period before switching, under two criteria.

They must be 20 years old when they play for the senior sevens team of a country or represent a country at the Sevens World Cup or Olympics having reached the "age of majority".

From next year, countries will also be banned from nominating their under-20 side as their "next senior national representative team".
              Does this mean that Lifeimi Mafi now qualifies for Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
                So basically any project signed between now and 31 December, 2017 will be eligible under current rules on 30 December, 2020.
                Any project signed after 31st December 2017 would have to wait till 2022 to be eligible?

Am I understanding it right or does it mean that it will only apply to project players who sign after 31 December, 2020
                If that's true than a lot of single flight tickets will be booked from South-Africa going northwards in November / December this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post
                  My take on it..

A project can be signed up to Dec 31st 2019 and will become eligible for qualification under the current rule, ie. 36 month's..

A project signed on Jan 1st 2020 , will be doing so under 6p month rule.

Therefore, it's as it was until 2020.

Could be wrong of course.

Don't think so. Pretty sure that if you want to qualify under the 3-year rule you need to sign before the end of 2017. That's presumably to cover players who've already agreed to move this year. Anyone signing in 2018 or later will come under the 5 year rule

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                    Don't think so. Pretty sure that if you want to qualify under the 3-year rule you need to sign before the end of 2017. That's presumably to cover players who've already agreed to move this year. Anyone signing in 2018 or later will come under the 5 year rule
                    Sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
                      FFS NO!!!!!!!!!

It means Warwick does.

Comment

I think they misses a good opportunty to help developing nations here, teams outside of the top tier should have the opportunuity to sign players with only 1-3 years of residency.

A second choice club playing BOK clearly not good enough for SA could then be tempted to Portugal, Germany, Namiba, Georgia etc etc.

This just gives another advantage to French and English Leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzzie View Post
                          and if so, is the ownership of Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney affected?

Comment

So no real change until the end of this year
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                              and if so, is the ownership of Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney affected?
                              Not under the current laws but he is obliged to reside within a stone's throw of the ground.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X