Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lawrence
    replied
    The last few pages have been about Joe's Selections, the lack of trust in younger players and the impossibility of some players to get out of the team, while others that are doing well dont get a chance.

But if there is one selection that Joe should get hammered for its the selection of Tommy Bowe, he is well past it, has no form this season, very little game time and has done nothing to be included, this story about him "training the house down" is no justification for a part of the match day 23 but then when he is included, and you need some impact he gets no game time.

There is at least one winger in each province better than him, and two in some.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin77
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Agree with the rest of your post , and Doc also to be fair. POC & DOC were the Lions test 2nd row in 2005, and we (Ireland &Munster) had them available for circa 10years. That was some luxury. The English currently have great locks available to them, and it makes your pack really. None of our locks now woulld get near a Lions test for instance, with Ryan being the best lucky to tour.
    Agreed.

We're blessed at prop and in the back row. But I think we've got good without being brilliant players at hooker and second row. They are all very good Heineken Cup level players but they do are not players that would be in the reckoning when we are talking about World XV's or the like.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin77 View Post
    I

And of course we were spoilt for so long with O'Connell.
    Agree with the rest of your post , and Doc also to be fair. POC & DOC were the Lions test 2nd row in 2005, and we (Ireland &Munster) had them available for circa 10years. That was some luxury. The English currently have great locks available to them, and it makes your pack really. None of our locks now woulld get near a Lions test for instance, with Ryan being the best lucky to tour.

Leave a comment:

• The Word Is Born
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    So we have comments about not picking players that won't be around for the RWC, pick younger players to give them experience etc (picking Henderson/Dillane ahead of Ryan being an example) an when it happens to favoured player it's bad thing. Henderson had a really poor game against Scotland where people wanted him dropped and suddenly he is the saviour against Eng.
    Give us a few 'stats'.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin77
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    So we have comments about not picking players that won't be around for the RWC, pick younger players to give them experience etc (picking Henderson/Dillane ahead of Ryan being an example) an when it happens to favoured player it's bad thing. Henderson had a really poor game against Scotland where people wanted him dropped and suddenly he is the saviour against Eng.
    I think the issue with our locks at the moment is that we currently have players that are excellent at a few things and not so good at others. We have no real top drawer international locks that would walk into most teams in the world. Ryan is probably the best all rounder. Toner is very good at certain things but lacks in others. Henderson is inconsistent and not playing lock for Ulster often enough. Dillane is still young and not really a top lineout operator yet. It's likely that Dillane and Henderson will be very good in the near future, but they're not quite there (and in top form) as of now.

And of course we were spoilt for so long with O'Connell.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied
    Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
    Donnacha Ryan aswell for me. Showed yet again what a mockery it was to drop him from the 23 for Scottish game. On form Irish lock at the moment. Joe even took off Toner instead of him for the first time ever!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin77
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
    He is, Gilroy is their equal, Payne is a mile ahead of Kearney.

Sad we can play a back 3 at a province that is better than the international 3 on the same weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Are you suggesting the IRFU should terminate the contracts of your NIQ back three players to give more Irish qualified players game time?

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    During the anthems (apart from Kevin of course) the most emotional player was the Welsh Hooker Ken Owens (a west Walian Welsh speaker) - he had a great game.
    He is a quality player!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    Are you OK? Is there something else going on?
    During the anthems (apart from Kevin of course) the most emotional player was the Welsh Hooker Ken Owens (a west Walian Welsh speaker) - he had a great game.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by kevin10 View Post
    I just watched the Welsh anthem again on the telly and I needed a box of tissues ( due to crying nothing else) to deal with the enhanced emotion of noise created by the roof.
    Are you OK? Is there something else going on?

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    I really dont buy the blue bias malarkey - but Joe is slow to change unless he is certain. But Ringrose was given a chance and has been a bit of damp squib. He probably should switch Zebo to full back and bring in someone new on the wing. I really rate Sweetnam and Byrne with Byrne's size (and colour - white men cant dance or sidestep and all that) maybe gives him an edge.

But he will probably stick with Kearney - I dont have a real problem with it as it a very difficult game to make an international debut in and equally would like to see Hendo start instead of Toner with POM in for Heaslip and CJ at 8, but he might just drop SOB and put POM at 7.

But it may well be same again.

Leave a comment:

• MunsterTel
    replied
    Originally posted by untilyouhearthatbell View Post
    Brian ODriscoll himself tweeted saying he was a huge fan of Sweetnam and should be capped. The Japan test team this summer will tell us a lot. If Sweetnam, Byrne, O'Loughlin etc aren't capped we can expect more back three's of Kearney, Trimble, Bowe.

It's a chance to start new and develop a team to carry us to the net RWC. Between the Japan tests and Autumn Internationals they'll have enough exposure to play in next year's 6N.

Or else Joe will revert to giving them 1 or 2 caps and then leaving them out in the cold like he has done before. Maybe another cap due to injury but then straight back out to the cold when someone like Kearney or O'Brien return with minimal game time under their belts.
    That's EXACTLY the pattern again and again.

Leave a comment:

• Brenny
    replied
    Originally posted by untilyouhearthatbell View Post
    Brian ODriscoll himself tweeted saying he was a huge fan of Sweetnam and should be capped. The Japan test team this summer will tell us a lot. If Sweetnam, Byrne, O'Loughlin etc aren't capped we can expect more back three's of Kearney, Trimble, Bowe.

It's a chance to start new and develop a team to carry us to the net RWC. Between the Japan tests and Autumn Internationals they'll have enough exposure to play in next year's 6N.

Or else Joe will revert to giving them 1 or 2 caps and then leaving them out in the cold like he has done before. Maybe another cap due to injury but then straight back out to the cold when someone like Kearney or O'Brien return with minimal game time under their belts.
    Let's just hope that we get we play the sort of game that can put those wingers in space, I'm hoping for a Farrell type 1st centre and/or a Hogg type Fullback. Otherwise myself and yourself could be playing on the wing and it'd be no great odds. My 9 year old young fella was playing this morning, he isn't that good a player but he scored two tries by staying on the shoulder of good players with fantastic hands.

Leave a comment:

• Waterfordlad
    replied
    Originally posted by Keyop View Post
    He didn't
    I think he grounded it, barely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	North try.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2492516

Leave a comment:

• untilyouhearthatbell
    replied
    Originally posted by bazzyg View Post
    Conway is a fine Rugby player and plays Joeball to a tee, Sweetnam is a fine athlete but should be nowhere near a cap yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X