Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    True.
    So where do people think we can win this?
    I reckon our scrum should be dominant and probably a better option than the lineout if we get penalties in their 22.
    They will be looking to come up hard on our ball carriers as Scotland did so Murray and Sexton should look to play over them a bit with kicks.
    I think earls should have a good cut off north who is not in great form.
    Our ball carriers should possibly look to set up midfield mauls rather than rucks as Wales have good jacklers.
    Overall I think if we play possession and territory to weather the first 30 minutes they will fall away but if it stays tight I'd be worried as they have some potential game changers on the bench

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Agreed on the scrum. We also need to be ready to pick and go hard around the fringes to get them to commit numbers in the ruck. Their jacklers will pick us off if we leave them off with only committing a couple of bodies, and we'll give fewer turnovers if we keep our runners and support tight.

I'd like to see us bringing wingers into the centre to take pops off 12 and 13, which could cause some confusion in their rush defence if we can thread players through.

I hope our line out performs - we need to be making yards on first phase before their back row are snarling things up.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

We will target their scrum but i don't think our lineout is any worse than theirs. i'd suggest more on par. Ball doesn't jump but Tupric is a great defensive jumper. If we are struggling we have other options like POM on the bench.

Agree with previous comments where the leather will probably be kicked off the ball with trust placed in the defense (i'd suggest that's why Bowe is selected for his inches (easy ladies, in height).

Hope we don't get sucked into too much manic headless chicken stuff. It would suit them better. Think we are in for watching us grind them down taking our points and maybe a CJ, SOB or Heaslip try at some stage. They have a strong midfield so doubt we'll get much change from them running at them but as defensive lines break up i think our one out ball carriers are a bit better. They have threat out wide though as we've seen what Williams can do.

Finding this very close to call! We certainly have the capability to win if we are up for it!

EDIT: GWAN IRELAND!!
      Hi sham, gimme 2 pints of carling, a bottle of bud, and a vodka and orange for the burd

Comment

Just on Bowe call. Is Schmidt after piling pressure on him by saying he's been tearing house down in training?

Comment

Wales would love us to have 65% possession and for them to sit back and soak it up like they have done in previous years. Its their defense that seems to determine their confidence levels and they will have massive linespeed tomorrow. We should kick the leather off the ball and dont give them a chance to implement the above.

Comment

Apparently we've agreed to a closed roof.

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Why?
              Because 60 to 70,000 Welsh taffies with drink on board only make enough noise to bring Barne's natural bias fully out with the roof closed �� Can't figure why Ireland would agree to this, it's completely nonsensical, but the stadium is now gonna be a firepit with the roof closed.

Expect a penalty count of 15 - 5 in Wales` favour, just like so many games with this ref. Before Wayne Barnes awards yet another dodgy penalty to Wales in the 79th minute, to huge acclaim from the raucous crowd ,who just love Wb v Ireland &why wouldn't they hey ?! When he practically guarantees a win for them regardless. Then Wales will run at Ireland, only for Rob Kearney to once again wave through one of the Welsh backs (e.g. Williams) under the Irish posts....for a `wonderful ` Welsh win, much unexpected by the Irish rugby intelligentsia for some reasons yet unknown!?!

Okay, a little pessimistic possibly, it may be sunny beforehand!! ;)
              Last edited by Daithi; 9th-March-2017, 18:21.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post
                Wales would love us to have 65% possession and for them to sit back and soak it up like they have done in previous years. Its their defense that seems to determine their confidence levels and they will have massive linespeed tomorrow. We should kick the leather off the ball and dont give them a chance to implement the above.

Yup. The longer they keep Ireland out the more their confidence rises and the crowd gets into it. Ireland should be taking all the 3 points on offer, especially early on.

Why?

I think its a good decision. They're showing confidence in the players to handle the occasion and not putting too much fear into a closed roof.

Comment

Why?
                  No reason to fear a poor team. They're headed for a 5th place finish and a world cup 3rd seed, lets see what sort of feeble resistance their jaded stars from 2011 can turn up with. Steamrolling them won't help us in preparing for England, a closed roof and Wayne Barnes might help them stay in the game.

Comment

Why?
                    Rain is forecast, I presume...
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                      Yep.
                      Also I think a dry ball suits us and shows confidence in our game plan.

Maybe plan is for Murray to get the ball stuck in the roof with world's highest box kick as well and watch Barnes go nuts trying to figure out what to do :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
                      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Why?
                        It seems to be a big confidence thing for the Welsh. No team want to play them with the roof closed. Ireland have taken it out of the equation now.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                          Yes. According to the Indo, Schmidt left the call up to Rory and Sexton. I'd rather see Ireland play with a dry ball.
                          Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post
                            It seems to be a big confidence thing for the Welsh. No team want to play them with the roof closed. Ireland have taken it out of the equation now.
                            Eh?

They love playing with the roof closed so we cunningly allow them to, thus making it less of an advantage? That logic is a little too fuzzy for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                              Yes. According to the Indo, Schmidt left the call up to Rory and Sexton. I'd rather see Ireland play with a dry ball.
                              Thornley said earlier in the week that with the roof closed you tend to get condensation, resulting in a slippery ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                                No reason to fear a poor team. They're headed for a 5th place finish and a world cup 3rd seed, lets see what sort of feeble resistance their jaded stars from 2011 can turn up with. Steamrolling them won't help us in preparing for England, a closed roof and Wayne Barnes might help them stay in the game.
                                Apart from the sheer hubris your approach implies, we could really use a bonus point win. It most certainly would benefit us to steamroll them.

Comment

Working...
                                X