6N) Wales V Ireland - Fri, 10 March, 20:05 - RTE & BBC - FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lad View Post
    The train station in Cardiff is a disaster zone after matches. I would avoid it if possible. Might be easier getting to Newport if it's a different line to the London trains but it's blood grim if you're stuck in the queue with everybody else. Hours of queuing.
    Yes In a queue with lots of drunk people is what I remember of Cardiff after matches.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Lad View Post
      The train station in Cardiff is a disaster zone after matches. I would avoid it if possible. Might be easier getting to Newport if it's a different line to the London trains but it's blood grim if you're stuck in the queue with everybody else. Hours of queuing.
      Yeah it's zombie apocalypse stuff.

Newport is on the London line, so no advantage in going there imho. In fact, I suspect a few trains won't call at Newport as they will be rammed from Cardiff.

I'd assume that you'd have to change at Swindon to go back to Cheltenham - would there be a train running back that late from Swindon?

It's an awful lot of fannying about to have a few pints. If it were me, I would drive.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I hope Wayne Barnes pull a hamstring or something and can't ref, it's hard enough for us to beat Wales away with him there having a chip on his shoulder towards us but it's ALOT harder when you consider that an ENGLISH man is the ref in a game that ENGLAND need Ireland to lose in order to clinch the 6N a week early with a Scottish win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cathalsmart View Post
          I hope Wayne Barnes pull a hamstring or something and can't ref, it's hard enough for us to beat Wales away with him there having a chip on his shoulder towards us but it's ALOT harder when you consider that an ENGLISH man is the ref in a game that ENGLAND need Ireland to lose in order to clinch the 6N a week early with a Scottish win.
          Having met the man on a number of occasions I'd have to say your doing him an injustice.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I hope Wayne Barnes pull a hamstring or something
            I hope you stub your toe on something really sharp and while you're hopping around in agony your other foot lands on a piece of lego, one that the dog chewed and has an extra couple of small and pointy sticking out bits. That'll learn you.
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

I dunno what thread to mention this in so I'll put it here as part of the buildup. Everyone, absolutely everyone should watch 4 Days In November if they can. That team is everyone, all the people of Ireland are in that team as Ultan Dillane said to end it.

There might be sibling rivalry on supporters forums but that group of players are one team and they know it. They show what they'll do to work for each other. It's very patriotic stuff and would make you exceptionally proud of the players and coaches. The bit on Foley, so careful and respectful to him and his legacy.

Go watch it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                Yeah it's zombie apocalypse stuff.

Newport is on the London line, so no advantage in going there imho. In fact, I suspect a few trains won't call at Newport as they will be rammed from Cardiff.

I'd assume that you'd have to change at Swindon to go back to Cheltenham - would there be a train running back that late from Swindon?

It's an awful lot of fannying about to have a few pints. If it were me, I would drive.
                I am driving, the last Cheltenham train leaves before the end of the game. I am going to park up in a street half an hours walk out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  I dunno what thread to mention this in so I'll put it here as part of the buildup. Everyone, absolutely everyone should watch 4 Days In November if they can. That team is everyone, all the people of Ireland are in that team as Ultan Dillane said to end it.

There might be sibling rivalry on supporters forums but that group of players are one team and they know it. They show what they'll do to work for each other. It's very patriotic stuff and would make you exceptionally proud of the players and coaches. The bit on Foley, so careful and respectful to him and his legacy.

Go watch it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
                  I seem to be the only one who was disappointed with it.
                  Thought it was crap to be honest.
                  They could have interviewed more of the squad.
                  Left me underwhelmed.
                  Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                    Having met the man on a number of occasions I'd have to say your doing him an injustice.
                    Jeez I dunno, I don't like the silly sentiment of wishing an injury on any ref (however minor), but his point about Wayne Barnes having issues reffing Ireland is spot on imho. There has been far too many games involving Ireland badly refereed by Wayne Barnes, with multiple inexplicable decisions, blatantly inconsistent interpretations and inexcusable errors (e.g. allowing Wales a,quick throw in of a touched ball leading to an obviously illegal try a few years back in Cardiff for instance) to ignore imho.

Iirc someone on here did a statistical analysis of Wayne's refereeing of Ireland over the years, and afaik he consistently awards more penalties against Ireland than the opposition, even when most other refs don't, and also far more penalties per game against Ireland than any other ref around. He's a stand out statistical outlier when refereeing Ireland. That's fishy in the extreme imho.

(& best avoided if possible I.e. by bringing his record of bias v Ireland to the attention of the relevant authorities in world rugby for instance)
                    Last edited by Daithi; 28th-February-2017, 00:37.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                      Barnes is Ok, but like many other refs these days, he seems to be trying too hard to get matey with the players. I favour an old fashioned type ref who keeps himself at arms length and just does his job without too much comment, or calling players by their christian names, or complimenting them on good play etc....
                      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Eddie O'S XV selection for Wales:

15. Simon Zebo
                        14. Andrew Trimble
                        13. Garry Ringrose
                        12. Robbie Henshaw
                        11. Keith Earls
                        10. Johnny Sexton
                        9. Conor Murray
                        8. Jamie Heaslip
                        7. Peter O'Mahony
                        6. CJ Stander
                        5. Devin Toner
                        4. Donnacha Ryan
                        3. Tadgh Furlong
                        2. Rory Best
                        1. Jack McGrath

Decent analysis here: https://youtu.be/3iFGw_NpOB4

Comment

Originally posted by Giggsy View Post
                          Eddie O'S XV selection for Wales:

15. Simon Zebo
                          14. Andrew Trimble
                          13. Garry Ringrose
                          12. Robbie Henshaw
                          11. Keith Earls
                          10. Johnny Sexton
                          9. Conor Murray
                          8. Jamie Heaslip
                          7. Peter O'Mahony
                          6. CJ Stander
                          5. Devin Toner
                          4. Donnacha Ryan
                          3. Tadgh Furlong
                          2. Rory Best
                          1. Jack McGrath

Decent analysis here: https://youtu.be/3iFGw_NpOB4
                          Touches on the POM/SOB dilemma @ 27:54..
                          forti et fideli nihil difficile

Comment

Great analysis by Eos & interviewing by Kinsella. He's pretty clear on the changes he'd like to see at 15 (no brainer for me at this stage), and more controversially at backrow.

No doubt about it Pom would offer a great lineout option and relieve the pressure from Toner & Ryan, with Wales probably targeting this area hugely. Also one of Ireland's lineout turnovers was an attempted throw to Stander who, along with Heaslip & SOB, is not a natural lineout jumper.

Also there's a case that maybe SOB can have a bigger positive affect with his running game later in the game as an impact sub. That's an interesting one imho. I think I'd go with POM to start, as quality lineout ball and jackaling are going to be key imho, with the lovely prospect of a fighting fresh O`Brien coming on at ~60mins to exploit the tiring Welsh to really good effect hopefully.
                            Last edited by Daithi; 28th-February-2017, 10:20.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Ah here, that's just rugby and bang out of order. You can criticize his approach to the game, it's possible Ireland even rub him up the wrong way for whatever reason but no ref at that level is going to do what you suggest.
                              Sure Andrew Conway who came from LEINSTER came on as full back for Munster last week and knew that if Munster lost then LEINSTER would go top of the table. That's eye of the pyramid conspiracy stuff. The players are professionals committed to the club they play for. The refs are professionals committed to the game they love. To suggest otherwise is to bash refs in a way I thought our sport prides itself on being above.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                                Jeez I dunno, I don't like the silly sentiment of wishing an injury on any ref (however minor), but his point about Wayne Barnes having issues reffing Ireland is spot on imho. There has been far too many games involving Ireland badly refereed by Wayne Barnes, with multiple inexplicable decisions, blatantly inconsistent interpretations and inexcusable errors (e.g. allowing Wales a,quick throw in of a touched ball leading to an obviously illegal try a few years back in Cardiff for instance) to ignore imho.

Iirc someone on here did a statistical analysis of Wayne's refereeing of Ireland over the years, and afaik he consistently awards more penalties against Ireland than the opposition, even when most other refs don't, and also far more penalties per game against Ireland than any other ref around. He's a stand out statistical outlier when refereeing Ireland. That's fishy in the extreme imho.

(& best avoided if possible I.e. by bringing his record of bias v Ireland to the attention of the relevant authorities in world rugby for instance)
                                Not sure why you're blaming Wayne Barnes for a defeat to Wales when that game was reffed by Jonathan Kaplan and the touch judge who missed Sexton slicing the ball into Row Z was Peter Allan of Scotland.

We've a poor record with Barnes in charge (four wins from thirteen) but the only time I can recall him really annoying me was the last time in Cardiff when he blew us off the park in the first half. Even then he was technically correct in his decisions but I don't recall seeing him ref a game in such a manner before or since. Could have a gripe about him not sending off Brad Davies for a spear tackle in 2012 too but Wales were the better team that day IMO.

Our biggest problem with Barnes is that we seem to have got him multiple times when we've been a bit ****. He reffed us against Georgia in RWC 2007, Wales at home the following season and we had him three times in 2012-13 (losing all three), a real ****show of a season for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X