Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6N G2)//KO14:25// Italy V Ireland. Saturday 11th February. Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jasper
    replied
    In thinking about today's game it struck me that we fielded a very strong starting team given the weak opposition. Obviously, substitutions were made, but this was basically our starting lineup (with the exception of injured players).

Is this as a result of Schmidt playing players he trusts, or is this something to expect more from the 6 nations now that bonus points have been introduced? Good to see Ireland smashing a team but always considered Italy a good opportunity to blood some players or at least experiment with lineups.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Good team performance but once again Kearney was shown up for the limited player that he is these days. When the best a fanboy like Cummiskey can come up with is 50 metres from 10 carries, a turnover and "unseen work in the backfield" you know there's a problem. Those would be decent stats for back row but they're appalling for a FB against opposition of that quality.

Italy had feck all possession and offered feck all attacking threat so I'm struggling to understand what the "unseen work in the backfield" could have been. Was he knitting scarves for orphans back there or something?

Typical of Joe to put Gilroy on the wing and still avoid moving Zebo to FB. Might have shown us what a genuinely dangerous back three would look like working in concert.

Oh to have seen a footballer like TOH out there from the start. That would have been fun!

Leave a comment:

• Stringer9
    replied
    I don't know how Italy are going to improve but surely it's not by being the whipping boys of the 6 Nations year in year out.
    Every other team are getting better, more professional and more clinical and they're stuck. I don't know what the answer is but they cannot benefit from this.

What positives can they take from today? How do you motivate the players every week? We're not the All Blacks, we have weaknesses and areas that need a lot of work but we looked sensational in comparison. There is very little even Ireland can take away from today.

We played what was in front of us, but they were so poor. We've learned nothing, the performance is nearly irrelevant, we can take away the confidence winning gives you and the experience players gained, but we will have learned very little today.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 12th-February-2017, 01:37.

Leave a comment:

• Grandpasimpson
    replied
    Italy could benefit from a spell playing teams of their own standard. With relegation at least if hammering were to be doled out at least it would only be for one year at a time instead of 16 years straight

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Originally posted by Haddock Thrower View Post
    Georgia barely beat Belgium today. The status quo won't change in that case...
    Fair enough, just think Italy need a good kick up the arse and play some rugby[emoji2][emoji464]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jeepers
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
    Earls try rate is fantastic for Ireland. Id like to see his try rate from wing only when you consider how much he moved around.
    16 tries from 32 starts on the wing.

Leave a comment:

• Phileas Frog
    replied
    Originally posted by neill_m View Post
    Italy have had 16 yrs and are still getting destroyed. I suggest last in Tier 1 6N hosts winners of Tier 2 in a game for spot in the following year 6N...

Georgia barely beat Belgium today. The status quo won't change in that case...

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Originally posted by Haddock Thrower View Post
    Greatest ever loss record would be beaten 5 weekends in a row?
    Italy have had 16 yrs and are still getting destroyed. I suggest last in Tier 1 6N hosts winners of Tier 2 in a game for spot in the following year 6N...

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    So who has a twitter box? I've seen mention of tweets attributing commtfrom Schmidt or something along those lines. Where/how can I see the actual tweets?

Leave a comment:

• Phileas Frog
    replied
    Georgia sellout at 50k v Romania...imagine If they got into the 6N

Greatest ever loss record would be beaten 5 weekends in a row?

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Georgia sellout at 50k v Romania...imagine If they got into the 6N

Leave a comment:

• Grandpasimpson
    replied
    Ireland were professional, but Italy were beyond brutal. The sooner P/R is brought in the better.

Italy 12/87 since 2000 in 6N[emoji848]

Agreed, they'd benefit from a year or two playing Russia/Romania etc and the reverse the same for Georgia to come up for a year or two.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• thoughtless
    replied
    Those comments from Schmidt on Gilroy are unusually straightforwardly dickish. I get trying to keep people's feet on the ground, but couch criticism in praise, not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• neill_m
    replied
    Ireland were professional, but Italy were beyond brutal. The sooner P/R is brought in the better.

Italy 12/87 since 2000 in 6N[emoji848]

Leave a comment:

• Cianostays
    replied
    Wow, some people here really love to over analyze Schmidt's soundbites. I don't believe Gilroy's confidence is as fragile as some would make it out to be.

Italy were muck but it was wonderful to see us be so bloody ruthless. We'll need to box cleverer against France though. I'd imagine they'll be a few big selection calls to make in 2 weeks time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X