Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6N G2)//KO14:25// Italy V Ireland. Saturday 11th February. Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    It doesn't take care of itself. Two of their tries came from straightforward failures in our defensive alignment and response. Defenders caught adrift and out of position by runners with ball in hand.

Eliminating our knock ons wouldn't have helped that. Particularly given the regularity with which we minced them in the scrum.

I don't read a lot of Thornley's output, so don't really understand your reference. Teams come into the 6N a bit rusty and take a while to get going. If our wide defence had held the way that Munster's did in Glasgow, for instance, we'd be talking about Ireland riding out a tough first half, finding their feet in the second and winning a tough away fixture on the first day of the championship.

The winning and losing of that game was in the inability of our back line to keep out the Scots attack.
    I don't agree at all with your last line . Ireland would have won the game with a functioning lineout regardless of the defence . The defence was a problem but it wasn't the critical failure in my view
    Ireland didn't defend well and our 13 was ruthlessly exposed as Leinster use an entirely different defensive structure and he was all at sea
    But it's the same defensive structure Ireland had in the Autumn
    My concerns about yesterday is that yet again the players failed miserably under the pressure of going for a potential GS.
    Ireland has a very direct and easily defendable game plan with no obvious Plan B
    Again when the leaders are playing badly like yesterday we have no replacements
    The bench were worse in a lot of cases then the players that started !
    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
      I don't agree at all with your last line . Ireland would have won the game with a functioning lineout regardless of the defence . The defence was a problem but it wasn't the critical failure in my view
      Ireland didn't defend well and our 13 was ruthlessly exposed as Leinster use an entirely different defensive structure and he was all at sea
      My concerns about yesterday is that yet again the players failed miserably under the pressure of going for a potential GS.
      Ireland has a very direct and easily defendable game plan with no obvious Plan B
      You would wonder how we score any tries at all if it so easily defended.

Comment

Originally posted by Isa View Post
        You would wonder how we score any tries at all if it so easily defended.
        We do have to work exceptionally hard to convert chances.

We are not a side to rip opposition to shreds from 40 meters. Most of our tries come from a set piece platform then numerous bludgeon phases

It would be nice to be able to be more dangerous using less energy
        Last edited by Cowboy; 5-February-2017, 14:32.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Because of the conservative selections by joe in the last while we have very little options in a lot of positions, the team will be largely unchanged.

Mcgrath and Furlong will, and should start.
          Best shouldn't be on the pitch after 70 minutes.
          Toner needs his hole kicked but can, and will improve
          D Ryan should start - hopefully.
          SOB will be infinitely better for the gametime he has had.
          CJ and James to start
          Murray and Jacko - no other option unless sexton puts in a solid week.
          Henshaw and ringrose - no other option.
          Earls / Zebo / Rob.

I can (hopefully) see a lot more changes on the bench. I can't see Bowe making the bench. The 2 Scannels might make it this time, and will hopefully see the pitch, depending on injury Findlay could come back in, he won't drop Healy either.

JVDF will have to be kept on the bench so if Mr. Angry doesn't start he won't be in the 23, if he does then Hendo won't make the bench.

I would like to see youth on the bench, to carve them open in the last 20, when Italy are at their weakest. We not only need to win this game but in reality not getting a BP against them means our hopes of a championship are over.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            Because of the conservative selections by joe in the last while we have very little options in a lot of positions, the team will be largely unchanged.

Mcgrath and Furlong will, and should start.
            Best shouldn't be on the pitch after 70 minutes.
            Toner needs his hole kicked but can, and will improve
            D Ryan should start - hopefully.
            SOB will be infinitely better for the gametime he has had.
            CJ and James to start
            Murray and Jacko - no other option unless sexton puts in a solid week.
            Henshaw and ringrose - no other option.
            Earls / Zebo / Rob.

I can (hopefully) see a lot more changes on the bench. I can't see Bowe making the bench. The 2 Scannels might make it this time, and will hopefully see the pitch, depending on injury Findlay could come back in, he won't drop Healy either.

JVDF will have to be kept on the bench so if Mr. Angry doesn't start he won't be in the 23, if he does then Hendo won't make the bench.

I would like to see youth on the bench, to carve them open in the last 20, when Italy are at their weakest. We not only need to win this game but in reality not getting a BP against them means our hopes of a championship are over.
            What youth? Who are all these young bucks that should be thrown in?

Comment

Originally posted by Omerta View Post
              What youth? Who are all these young bucks that should be thrown in?
              Gilroy, Byrne, Conway, Adelokun, TOH, McCloskey, Matt Healy, Scannell, Scannell, O'Laughlin, Luke McGrath.

That enough?

Whats the point in having Marmion on the bench if you won't use him? Mcgrath has a good pass give him 10 mins.

Scannell could have come on for Jackson and exploited the tiring Scottish defense.

Best was bate, give the other Scannell 15 mins, he carries well.

Bowe, FFS do I need to say anything about Bowe, he wouldn't be in the Ulster team only for injury, and isn't far off selling shoes full time.

Springing a Matt Healy, a TOH, Adam Byre or Adelokun off the bench could carve open the Italians and get a BP.

If we keep persisting with this selection policy come the world cup we are going to be lighting candles for the young lads that will be in the side.
              Last edited by lawrence; 5-February-2017, 21:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                We do have to work exceptionally hard to convert chances.

We are not a side to rip opposition to shreds from 40 meters. Most of our tries come from a set piece platform then numerous bludgeon phases

It would be nice to be able to be more dangerous using less energy
                We did actually execute one slick backs move. Paddy looped around creating an overlap, but Rob threw the ball about 5 yards forward into touch.

That said, we do seem to struggle to create much. Our backs don't seem to score many tries, and certainly not within the first few phases. We're heavily reliant on the pack to bust holes to get us in behind defences.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                  What I enjoy most about all of this is that you've hardly posted about Ireland for a while and I don't remember you posting while things were going well in the Autumn however the second there's a bad result you're having a field day with the misery and doom and gloom again.

Comment

Disappointed? Yes.
                    Surprised? Not really.
                    Worried? No.

This is a Scotland team on the rise. It was only a matter of when, not if as to them getting their act together. We had an abysmal first half and they played really well. We came back into it and nearly nicked it but their passion, the support from a rabid home crowd and our lack of cool heads meant that we lost.

But so what? All the great teams lose. The All Blacks lost to us. It doesn't make us terrible. We just had a bad day. Let's move on and continue to play.

All this talk of blowing a Grand Slam is nonsense. It was the first game. You've got to earn the right to 'blow' a Grand Slam.

I'd expect pretty much the same to team to take a torch to Italy and then we've got France. Let's see how we are after that match and we might just be in the running for a Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin77 View Post
                      Disappointed? Yes.
                      Surprised? Not really.
                      Worried? No.

This is a Scotland team on the rise. It was only a matter of when, not if as to them getting their act together. We had an abysmal first half and they played really well. We came back into it and nearly nicked it but their passion, the support from a rabid home crowd and our lack of cool heads meant that we lost.

But so what? All the great teams lose. The All Blacks lost to us. It doesn't make us terrible. We just had a bad day. Let's move on and continue to play.

All this talk of blowing a Grand Slam is nonsense. It was the first game. You've got to earn the right to 'blow' a Grand Slam.

I'd expect pretty much the same to team to take a torch to Italy and then we've got France. Let's see how we are after that match and we might just be in the running for a Championship.
                      Agree with this. I think we're still in with a good shout and it could all still come down to the last day at the Aviva. Wales missing out on bonus point today could provide us with an advantage over them if we bonus point the Italians. That's the immediate priority. Don't think anyone will slam this year so we need to stay in the hunt for maximum points.

Comment

3 changes I'd make to kick-start the championship for Ireland

Ryan into second row

VdF for SoB

Marshall for Ringrose with Henshaw moving to 13. Too many little guys in midfield right now

I'd have POM as my supersub but that wont happen
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Reported injury updates for the game:

At this stage nobody is ruled out. Furlong has a bruised shoulder but will train fully, Sexton continues his rehab and is back running, Conway is back in the camp, POM also making progress and is back running.
                          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	INPHO_01161779.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2492353

Name:	INPHO_01161774.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2492354
                            Tommy

Name:	INPHO_01161792.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2492355

Name:	INPHO_01161794.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	2492356

Name:	INPHO_01161786.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2492357
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Heaslip played worst out of the three backrowers, if Joe had balls the backrow would be 6. O'Mahony (if fit) 7. O'Brien 8. Stander.

Kearney simply has to go from the 15 shirt, his cover behind for Hogg's first try was terrible, he was incredibly slow to move across and he then dived at Hogg when the try was already scored.
                              His kick returns are quite poor, always running down blind alleys and has a poor sense of when to kick or run.

If I had my way I'd also have Rory Best dropped to the bench. He needs to be a bit ruthless this week because he can afford to play other guys versus Italy.

If Devin Toner isn't dominating the lineout then he shouldn't be on the pitch. He's an average ball carrier and a bad defender because of his height.

Ringrose seems to be a certain for the 13 shirt after the Autumn which shouldn't be the case because McCloskey has been immense for Ulster in what has been a bad season so far for them.

When the squad can be altered I think Joe should call up one of Rory O'Loughlin/Adam Byrne. Their form cannot go unrewarded.

1. McGrath 2. Scannell 3. Furlong 4. Henderson 5. Ryan 6. O'Mahony (c) 7. O'Brien 8. Stander
                              9. Murray 10. Jackson/Sexton
                              11. Zebo 12. Henshaw 13. McCloskey 14. Earls 15. O'Halloran
                              and my home, my home is there.

Comment

Untillypuhearthatbell, McCloskey has been poor for Ulster this season and is not good enough. Has no chance of playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X