Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6N G2)//KO14:25// Italy V Ireland. Saturday 11th February. Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    Bring in Ryan, start VDF, zebo to full back but then who partners earls on the wing? TOH, Bowe, Trimble?
    It probably won't matter as I think we will tear Italy to pieces.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Other wing might well be academic. Big thing for next week is the centre pairing. Or the 10-13 axis if that's the issue. Henshaw and Ringrose yesterday looked like two lads who'd met on the bus on the way to the ground. Hard to believe that they're an established provincial centre combination.

Whether it's the absence of Sexton I don't know, but it needs to be sorted sharpish. We need a bonus point vs Italy, because other teams will get one.

There's still a championship to be played for, but fail to put 4 tries on Italy next week and beating England in Dublin won't be enough.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Hopefully Jackson starts and plays closer to the line from the start of the game next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
        Hopefully Jackson starts and plays closer to the line from the start of the game next weekend.
        That had more to do with the speed of our ball, I think. He came out of the hole as soon as we got on the front foot yesterday and caused all sorts of bother. The depth of the attack in the first half was a symptom of slow messy ball leading to well organised Scots defence with good line speed. Hence the screen runners and the attempts to go wide relatively quickly to get around it.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

What is our best fit back row?

Comment

Originally posted by the last stand View Post
            what is our best fit back row?

pom/vdf/cj.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              That had more to do with the speed of our ball, I think. He came out of the hole as soon as we got on the front foot yesterday and caused all sorts of bother. The depth of the attack in the first half was a symptom of slow messy ball leading to well organised Scots defence with good line speed. Hence the screen runners and the attempts to go wide relatively quickly to get around it.
              He also made no effort to chip over the defensive line or drive the ball long either though.

Comment

He also made no effort to chip over the defensive line or drive the ball long either though.
                Would it be a wise move to kick the ball to that back 3,
                I don't think so,
                clowns

Comment

True, but we (thankfully) seemed to have a commitment to not kicking the ball away. Ultimately, our issue yesterday was in defence. If our defence had held up to the Scots pressure in the first half, then we'd gone through the gears and pulled away we'd be talking about a model victory.

Comment

So after one defeat you want to throw away any chance of winning the 2017 championship? What criteria would you use for deciding if players won't be at 2019 RWC?
                    We aren't going to win it . Are you Philip Browne ?
                    Criteria I'd use would be form

But the reality is the Southern Hemisphere teams review their squads each cycle
                    The likes of Kearney and heaslip woukd have their replacements already ear marked . And then it's a fair fight
                    Currently all our untouchables can dish out any level of performance and expect to start the following week
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

True, but we (thankfully) seemed to have a commitment to not kicking the ball away. Ultimately, our issue yesterday was in defence. If our defence had held up to the Scots pressure in the first half, then we'd gone through the gears and pulled away we'd be talking about a model victory.
                      If you don't knock the ball on , lose balls at the lineout and don't kick badly . The defence looks after itself
                      That was a complete malfunction yesterday in several areas rather then just the "defence"
                      I'd expect that from Gerry Thornley. It was a terrible performance even if we'd a scraped a one point win
                      Poor gameplan and poor execution. Best chance of Slam for Joe blown
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                        If you don't knock the ball on , lose balls at the lineout and don't kick badly . The defence looks after itself
                        That was a complete malfunction yesterday in several areas rather then just the "defence"
                        I'd expect that from Gerry Thornley. It was a terrible performance even if we'd a scraped a one point win
                        Poor gameplan and poor execution. Best chance of Slam for Joe blown

It doesn't take care of itself. Two of their tries came from straightforward failures in our defensive alignment and response. Defenders caught adrift and out of position by runners with ball in hand.

Eliminating our knock ons wouldn't have helped that. Particularly given the regularity with which we minced them in the scrum.

I don't read a lot of Thornley's output, so don't really understand your reference. Teams come into the 6N a bit rusty and take a while to get going. If our wide defence had held the way that Munster's did in Glasgow, for instance, we'd be talking about Ireland riding out a tough first half, finding their feet in the second and winning a tough away fixture on the first day of the championship.

The winning and losing of that game was in the inability of our back line to keep out the Scots attack.

Comment

The Italy game allows Joe to say same again - largely agree with that.

Have been in Edinburgh for a couple of nights - not nearly as busy as I thought it would, Any reliable(ish) estimates of how many Irish fans at the game?
                          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Would like to see the following team next week; Zebo, Earls, Henshaw, Scannell, Byrne, Jackson, Murray, Stander, SOB, POM, Dillane, Ryan, Furlong, Scannell, McGrath

Expect Joe will pick; Kearney, Bowe, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo, Jackson, Murray, Heaslip, SOB, CJ, Henderson, Toner, Furlong, Best, McGrath

Looking forward to tougher tests later in the series; I don't think our lineout is good enough with CJ, SOB, Heaslip as the starting backrow.

Comment

pom/vdf/cj.
                              Thank you... no one else seems to believe me...
                              and the Ringrose chap that the dubs are going on about... are we allowed to troll about Aki?
                              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

If our lineout had worked they wouldn't have been in a position to put our defence under pressure though.

As for kicking the ball the All Blacks do it on a fairly regular basis so as long as you kick it well there is nothing wrong with mixing it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X