Residency rule changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
    I'm saying I would like the current regs changed to what I described, to apply to all countries. They're pretty simple changes and we already have qualification on residency and family connections so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about it being challenged in court.

The reason for my suggestions is that they would reduce the number of lads seeking to play international rugby under a flag of convenience.

If a player comes to a country and really falls in love with the place and begins to feel a sense of belonging - something that takes a bit of time - he'll be prepared to do the 5 years to become eligible. If he's not and fecks off somewhere else (a la Ben Teo) he can hardly claim to have really integrated and committed to the country. He just wants international rugby wherever he can get it.

If a player who has a single Irish grandparent has been raised supporting Ireland, feeling Irish, and grows up wanting to play for Ireland, he should be happy enough to come and put in three years in the country he thinks of as a home from home (the way many young Exiles like Wootten have over the years). If not, then again I question their commitment to the country in the first place.

Representative rugby's USP is based on limitations around qualification. Without those limitations it's no different to the club game except the teams are named after countries rather than cities, regions or provinces.
    But why should there be a need for 2 grandparents? One is a tie to a country. There isn't any need to have to have a second in order to be eligible. And there wont be any differences in years it takes to qualify for a country as that will just cause issues

I agree with your last paragraph however I disagree with having several categories of qualification in terms of parental/grandparental rule. You either are eligible due to having a grandparent from the country or not. You need one to be eligible for a country.

Comment

Oh the irony of giving out about eligibility rules, while singing a lament to enforced deportation to Botany Bay....

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
        But why should you be able to limit people who qualify through the regs? Selection regulations like what New Zealand do is different. Selection based on residency qualification could quite easily be taken up in court.
        Why should you have to have more than 1 gp to qualify and which countries will ever vote that in/that to change?
        And why would countries want to confuse the issue with different qualification periods for different players?

How can you limit players? And Ruddock isn't a residency qualified player. His mother is Irish.
        Bealham has an Irish granny.
        Also, rather importantly, Ruddock was born in Dublin!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cianostays View Post
          Also, rather importantly, Ruddock was born in Dublin!
          Thought 1 or both brothers had been born in wales. obv wrong...

Comment

TBF, they spent a decent chunk of their formative years in Wales alright but Rhys and CiarĂ¡n were both born here.

Comment

I think Ciaran was born in Wales and Rhys in Ireland.

People comparing individuals who have a long established tie with a country, either through parentage, grandparentage and/or residency in a country over the majority of their life, with individuals who are playing for Ireland purely because that was where they got the best professional rugby contract, are trolling on debates like this.

Comment

Working...
              X