Residency rule changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.therugbyblog.com/rfu-seek...residency-rule

The RFU are backing the 5 year proposal, looks likely that Scotland and Ireland will vote against any changes
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

http://www.rugbyworld.com/tournament...t-change-47344

Good article in rugbyworld on this too. When you see Maoris and NZ rugby league internationals switching and playing for England it really does take the biscuit
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
        I think it should be 5 years for everyone but allow a grandfathering provision for those players who are currently working towards residency.
        The best rule would be a version I f the Pre Bosman rule in soccer.

Parent or Grand parent born in the country you want to play for.

Having played for 4yrs or more in the country.

Having moved to the country before the age of 18 (with parents...)

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
          Payne, Strauss, CJ, Bundee Aki (soon), Herbst, Diack, Herring
          I'd have more respect for them doing their time than someone like McBent walking off the plane and into the Irish 23 in a test
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
            I'd have more respect for them doing their time than someone like McBent walking off the plane and into the Irish 23 in a test
            Agreed but why would we block a change to five years.It would be the same rule for everyone so hit us all pretty much equally. Its only because he left that Ben Teo isnt blocking Scannell and Ringrose
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Agreed but why would we block a change to five years.It would be the same rule for everyone so hit us all pretty much equally. Its only because he left that Ben Teo isnt blocking Scannell and Ringrose
              Why would you sign if its going to take nearly twice as long as it did? Short career, get capped, wages inflate nicely.

The biggest issue at the moment is that the NH is scouting and securing proper players off the Boks and Kiwis. South Africa must be up in arms that a guy like Stander was left walk away, his workrate is higher than anyone in that Bok backrow at the moment.

He is one of many examples where they didnt pay attention/nurture young talent and its bitten them in the hole. Jean Kleyn looks like he will be a test level second row what were SARU doing to keep a hold of him? Thats where the bitching and moaning is coming from I think.
              I am the million man.

Comment

I'd be happy with citizenship as a requirement. If you want to represent a country you should be a citizen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
                  I'd be happy with citizenship as a requirement. If you want to represent a country you should be a citizen

That would tie rugby too closely to politics for my liking. It could give some countries an advantage over others based on the strictness of their citizenship laws.

Comment

Maybe, most rugby playing nations have a minimum residency requirement for citizenship I would think?

The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

If you just ignore the fact he played for Aussie schools.He is as irish as Michael Bent I suppose
                      In Bealhams defence, he had at least played rugby on the island of Ireland, both amateur and professional before pulling on the Green Jersey. He navigated his way into professional rugby while playing here which gives him more affinity with the game in Ireland than Bent had when he arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by <BM> View Post
                        In Bealhams defence, he had at least played rugby on the island of Ireland, both amateur and professional before pulling on the Green Jersey. He navigated his way into professional rugby while playing here which gives him more affinity with the game in Ireland than Bent had when he arrived.
                        I get the point but its not really about any one player but rather the sheer number of foreigners we now rely upon, it is blocking good young Irish players from playing for their national side
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                          I think it should be 5 years for everyone but allow a grandfathering provision for those players who are currently working towards residency.
                          I think if you have a grand parent you should be able to play regardless of stay in country. You can have quite significant ties to a country if grand parent(s) are from the country.
                          I don't see it expanding to 5. I think it may go to 4. Those who want a change want it to go to 5 while Ireland and several other countries want the status quo to remain so 4 will be a compromise.

But citizenship can be got for some countries in as short as 3 years and does that really be necessary if you are to play sport for that country?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            Why would you sign if its going to take nearly twice as long as it did? Short career, get capped, wages inflate nicely.

The biggest issue at the moment is that the NH is scouting and securing proper players off the Boks and Kiwis. South Africa must be up in arms that a guy like Stander was left walk away, his workrate is higher than anyone in that Bok backrow at the moment.

He is one of many examples where they didnt pay attention/nurture young talent and its bitten them in the hole. Jean Kleyn looks like he will be a test level second row what were SARU doing to keep a hold of him? Thats where the bitching and moaning is coming from I think.
                            In the RSA they had written CJ off, he didn't have enough body back then. He was told he didnt have a future in the Bokke

Comment

Maybe, most rugby playing nations have a minimum residency requirement for citizenship I would think?

That's true, but the amount of time varies from country to country. It's 1 year in Macedonia for instance, 2 years in Argentina, 3 years in countries like Uruguay and Russia, 4 years in Australia, but 5 years in Ireland and 10 (!!) years in Italy.

Also some countries offer fast tracking to citizenship for peoples of "economic interest" (whatever they define that to be is up to them), some countries have different permutations for spouses of citizens and if you also factor in what effect other mitigating circumstances a person might have, such as refugee status, my initial impression would be that the whole thing becomes too dependent on individual country's laws for my liking anyway

EDIT: Also for the UK "the applicant must intend to continue to live in the UK or work overseas for the UK government or a British corporation or association"
                              Last edited by CP09; 20th-January-2017, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                                In the RSA they had written CJ off, he didn't have enough body back then. He was told he didnt have a future in the Bokke
                                Thats the official spin on it. Quotas did for him and they will continue to ruin South African rugby
                                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                                X