Residency rule changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residency rule changes

I see Ireland and Scotland are predicted to block any changes to the residency rules. Other countries want to make it 5 years before you can qualify. The IRFU need to put an end to this jokeshop 3 year rule.
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Originally posted by sewa View Post
    I see Ireland and Scotland are predicted to block any changes to the residency rules. Other countries want to make it 5 years before you can qualify. The IRFU need to put an end to this jokeshop 3 year rule.
    Why is it jokeshop?

Comment

Because guys are being recruited from other countries with no previous affiliation to Ireland to play so called ''international'' rugby. What does the national part of international even mean anymore?
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Because guys are being recruited from other countries with no previous affiliation to Ireland to play so called ''international'' rugby. What does the national part of international even mean anymore?
        Why would you come to Ireland to play for 5 years when you know you could be test level after 3? It's a waste of 2 years.

A guy like Stander is worth more now in salary terms because he's played and continues to play international rugby.

It's no different to some fella whose great granny was a paddy and moved to kiwiland and now he's eligible to play for us too. He hasn't stepped foot in Ireland or played any rugby for a province but could walk out onto the field and represent us.

This 'issue' seems to be something more actively discouraged in older generations than younger ones imo. The national identity criteria is more fluid than ever before with the advent of cheap travel and better paid qualified people moving countries all the time
        I am the million man.

Comment

What about its knock on effect on the Provinces?

It is one of the few tools the Provinces have to attract good promising players - whether they ever play for Ireland or not.

I think it is important that we have something to compete with the money of our European Competitor Clubs.

Dilution of the purity of International Rugby is an acceptable consequence imo of Munster being able to attract Stander, Kleyn, Marshall etc

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
            What about its knock on effect on the Provinces?

It is one of the few tools the Provinces have to attract good promising players - whether they ever play for Ireland or not.

I think it is important that we have something to compete with the money of our European Competitor Clubs.

Dilution of the purity of International Rugby is an acceptable consequence imo of Munster being able to attract Stander, Kleyn, Marshall etc
            It does work for the provinces. I bet John Ryan though might well shake his head when Finlay Bealham runs out in what should rightfully be his jersey
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

It does work for the provinces. I bet John Ryan though might well shake his head when Finlay Bealham runs out in what should rightfully be his jersey
              Pick another example, Bealham qualifies through his grandmother, not through playing here for 3 years.

Finlay Bealham (born 9 October 1991) is an Australian-born Irish rugby union player. He primarily plays as a prop, and can play at both tighthead and loosehead. Bealham represents Ireland at international level, qualifying to play for them through his grandmother from Enniskillen in Northern Ireland.
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                Pick another example, Bealham qualifies through his grandmother, not through playing here for 3 years.

Finlay Bealham (born 9 October 1991) is an Australian-born Irish rugby union player. He primarily plays as a prop, and can play at both tighthead and loosehead. Bealham represents Ireland at international level, qualifying to play for them through his grandmother from Enniskillen in Northern Ireland.
                Cant get away with much here !!!

Comment

Payne, Strauss, CJ, Bundee Aki (soon), Herbst, Diack, Herring
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Tyler

Comment

You can also add Heenan and Quinn Roux. That's half a bloody side right there
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Sewa back with a bang here!
                        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                          Sewa back with a bang here!
                          If you just ignore the fact he played for Aussie schools.He is as irish as Michael Bent I suppose
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

I think it should be 5 years for everyone but allow a grandfathering provision for those players who are currently working towards residency.

Comment

I very much doubt the lawyers would allow the rules to be changed for players already in the residency process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X