Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we be planning for life without Sexton?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we be planning for life without Sexton?

I think Johnny is definitely one of the World's best 10s, but with frequent injuries forcing him to the touch line should Ireland now start trying to integrate Paddy Jackson to the starting role? Johnny unfortunately has been hauled off in massive games recently.

Off the top of my head I think of France in the World Cup, which also led to him being ruled out of the Argentina quarter final during the warmup, he missed the South Africa tour, and has now had to be replaced in both tests against the All Blacks. Madigan has often been left facing the difficult task of coming off the bench in crucial games, and also being thrown into starting lineups just before kickoff when Sexton would've been running the back line all week in training in the lead up.

Carbery/Jackson now seem to be filling the hole left vacant by Madigan, my question is do ye think we should now start prepping for games without Sexton at 10 if he's evermore likely to need replacing? O'Gara used to constantly play full games, but Sexton has taken an astonishing amount of punishment to the body that I haven't seen many others take.
    Last edited by untilyouhearthatbell; 22nd-November-2016, 00:03.
    and my home, my home is there.

Yes (and no). I think we should start benching Carbery behind Sexton at this point and see where we end up in a year.

Jackson can hold his own at this level, but I don't ever see him being the cornerstone of a championship side.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

This chap was going well then "Blam"
      he goes for the jugular
      nearly there then you got try line fever
      clowns

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
        he goes for the jugular
        ??
        and my home, my home is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
          Yes (and no). I think we should start benching Carbery behind Sexton at this point and see where we end up in a year.

Jackson can hold his own at this level, but I don't ever see him being the cornerstone of a championship side.
          I wonder how soon after Tyler qualifies will Joe be looking at him??

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
            Jaysus thats all he needs, international Rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by untilyouhearthatbell View Post
              I think Johnny is definitely one of the World's best 10s, but with frequent injuries forcing him to the touch line should Ireland now start trying to integrate Paddy Jackson to the starting role? Johnny unfortunately has been hauled off in massive games recently. Off the top of my head I think of France in the World Cup, which also led to him being ruled out of the Argentina quarter final during the warmup, he missed the South Africa tour, and has now had to be replaced in both tests against the All Blacks. Madigan has often been left facing the difficult task of coming off the bench in crucial games, and also being thrown into starting lineups just before kickoff when Sexton would've been running the back line all week in training in the lead up. Carbery/Jackson now seem to be filling the hole left vacant by Madigan, my question is do ye think we should now start prepping for games without Sexton at 10 if he's evermore likely to need replacing? O'Gara used to constantly play full games, but Sexton has taken an astonishing amount of punishment to the body that I haven't seen many others take.

A lot of people (me included) have been saying for a while now that he is finished, but he has put in great performances in recent times, and there isn't another 10 in the country that is a patch on him. Its not his fault that only in the last 6 weeks has a decent replacement appeared for him, we are not a million miles from the day that Keats played in Italy, that just shows how badly off we were.

He went off against NZ with a hamstring injury, but for me at the moment he could be at 60-70% of his best and still be the best OH in the country.

Its a pity that we will never see Holland and Carbery battle it out to be his replacement and ultimately successor, that would have been class.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                They'd be taking soundings now I'd imagine :-)

The pipeline doesn't look great. If Sexton can't shake off his injury issues then he appears to have limited time left in him. Jackson is a perfectly decent out half who wouldn't get a start with England, Wales, Scotland or France or any SH team.

Keately has dropped off the running. Madigan seems to have been cut loose. JJ is lost in deepest Northamptonshire.

We're not far off a lost generation of Irish fly halves.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                  he goes for the jugular
                  Ah sit down and have a nice JD and coke for yourself
                  When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Tyler said Test rugby wasnt on his radar on the radio last saturday, just wants to focus on making Munster great again and developing the group down here.

Man Tyler.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      Tyler said Test rugby wasnt on his radar on the radio last saturday, just wants to focus on making Munster great again and developing the group down here.

Man Tyler.

Its gas to think that with single figures of games played we are talking international rugby for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        They'd be taking soundings now I'd imagine :-)

The pipeline doesn't look great. If Sexton can't shake off his injury issues then he appears to have limited time left in him. Jackson is a perfectly decent out half who wouldn't get a start with England, Wales, Scotland or France or any SH team.

Keately has dropped off the running. Madigan seems to have been cut loose. JJ is lost in deepest Northamptonshire.

We're not far off a lost generation of Irish fly halves.
                        Where in God's name is Ross Byrne these days. Still the best rounded out-half I've seen in recent years.

Carberry must have a bit to go yet if JS didn't put him on the bench last week. From what i've heard he's been told his goal-kicking isn't up to scratch yet by JS
                        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

At times in his youth, Sexton's impetuous behaviour was very annoying, but it's very obvious that he's the ultimate competitor. His unbridled hatred of losing, is admirable too. He literally was willing to pull Barret's head off, rather than let him score.....he nearly achieved both objectives. Any other TMO wouldn't have given a try and clearly Peyper had no issue with Sexton's actions.
                          Jonny was sorely missed when he left, we didn't just lose a talented outhalf, we lost a leader.
                          It's always prudent to have a contingency plan in place, but I hope to God he's 3 good seasons left.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                            Where in God's name is Ross Byrne these days. Still the best rounded out-half I've seen in recent years.

Carberry must have a bit to go yet if JS didn't put him on the bench last week. From what i've heard he's been told his goal-kicking isn't up to scratch yet by JS
                            why is the outhalf that has to kick goals?
                            A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post

Good man management would suggest you do not dump your current out half's Sexton and Jackson for a new kid on the block who in fairness has not proved anything yet. It's all about confidence.
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Working...
                              X