Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Young Irish Player Form

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Three wins in the last nine games, losing twice to a crappy team that Japan beat in the RWC, if that's what you think is a good record fair enough
    Bang on the money. Last 15 months of Irish rugby has been pretty horrid.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by sewa View Post
      Three wins in the last nine games, winning in the SH against a team that were semi-finalists at the RWC, if that's what you think is a good record fair enough
      Fixed that for you. Do cheer up.

      Comment


        #63
        I don't think we've seen what Henshaw can do yet. In the Pro 12 final he was superb and showed good variety to his game with some nice offloads. He is a very good athlete but not a bad rugby player either. He is one of the best 15s in Ireland as well as one of the best centers. Still, I can see why people say he hasn't done very much for Ireland yet but that could be down to Joe 'no risks' Schmidt.


        On a positive note, there is a good amount of young players coming through now. One back who I think will win a load of caps is Jacob Stockdale. He is big, fast, got good footwork, a smart player, got an excellent left boot and can play in more than one position.
        Last edited by dropkick; 30th-September-2016, 13:07.

        Comment


          #64
          Had a tough time compiling a list this week as didn't see enough of the matches. Here's a rough go, so if anyone can critique/change that would be great;

          1. McCall (Ulster)
          2. Casey (Munster)
          3. Carey (Connacht)
          4. Nagle (Leinster)
          5. Dillane (Connacht)
          6.Oliver (Munster)
          7. Van Der Flier (Leinster)
          8. Leavy (Leinster)
          9. Marmion (Connacht)
          10. Carty (Connacht)
          11. Wooton (Munster)
          12. Robb (Connacht)
          13. Bohane (Munster)
          14. Gilroy (Ulster)
          15. Sweetnam (Munster)

          As an aside, you can pick a half decent shadow Irish side from players playing overseas;

          1. McAllister (Gloucester)
          2. Annett (Worcester)
          3. Moore (Wasps)
          4. Joyce (Bristol)
          5. O'Callaghan (Worcester)
          6. Brewer (Manawatu)
          7. Butler (Pau)
          8. Coughlan (Pau)
          9. Hart (Racing)
          10. Madigan (Bordeaux)
          11. Whitten (Exeter)
          12. Addison (Sale)
          13. Tovey (Bristol)
          14. Farrell (Grenoble)
          15. Scanlon (Doncaster)

          Comment


            #65
            This was posted on 42.ie, its a list of all Irish overseas players who played last weekend:

            http://www.the42.ie/madigan-bordeaux...07367-Oct2016/

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by PARISHMAN1970 View Post
              This was posted on 42.ie, its a list of all Irish overseas players who played last weekend:

              http://www.the42.ie/madigan-bordeaux...07367-Oct2016/
              Cheers, yeah I pretty much cobbled it together from there. A few decent players that could be brought back as required for provinces with weaknesses in certain areas

              Comment


                #67
                The return of Connacht. Couple of close calls at scrum half and tight head;

                1. Bealham (Connacht)
                2. Heffernan (Connacht)
                3. Carey (Connacht)
                4. Dillane (Connacht)
                5. Molony (Leinster)
                6. Connolly (Connacht)
                7. Murphy (Leinster)
                8. O'Donoghue (Munster)
                9. McGrath (Leinster) - honourable mention to Blade from Connacht.
                10. Carty (Connacht)
                11. Gilroy (Ulster)
                12. Scannell (Munster)
                13. Ringrose (Leinster)
                14. Kelleher (Connacht)
                15. O'Halloran (Connacht)

                Comment


                  #68
                  Couldn't devote any time to this last week. Here's this weeks;

                  1. McCall (Ulster)
                  2. Tracy (Leinster)
                  3. Bealham (Connacht)
                  4. Dillane (Connacht)
                  5. O'Connor (Ulster)
                  6. O'Brien (Connacht)
                  7. Heenan (Connacht)
                  8. O'Donoghue (Munster)
                  9. McGrath (Leinster)
                  10. Carberry (Leinster)
                  11. Adeolukon (Connacht)
                  12. Scannell (Munster)
                  13 Ringrose (Leinster)
                  14. Sweetnam (Munster)
                  15. Kelleher (Connacht)

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Not strictly the same format as previous posts, but I was thinking yesterday evening about which young players are now genuinely knocking on the door for an international debut, and there's quite a few who surely aren't that far away.

                    Hooker: one of James Tracey or Niall Scannell is likely to be involved with Ireland in the medium-term future, although I'm not sold on either as a long-term option just yet.
                    Tighthead: John Ryan has been a revelation this season.
                    Scrum-half: Luke McGrath will debut soon enough; I don't think he's anywhere near as good at the scrum-half basics of pass selection and execution as Marmion is, but he is a much better box kicker and plays inside Sexton, so he has some advantages.
                    Out-half: Carbery will overtake Madigan in short order, mostly because he's a much more gifted player.
                    Centre: Ringrose is the real deal.
                    Wing: Adeolokun and Sweetnam are on the road to caps, especially in light of Trimble and Bowe's age profiles and Luke Fitz's retirement. Sweetnam in particular must have Joe very interested such is his ability under the high ball.

                    I've left out the back-row because there's so much depth there already, but any of Sean O'Brien, Jack O'Donoghue, and/or Dan Leavy could become live options pretty quickly with the right combination of form and injuries.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      The hookers are interesting. Tracy, Scannell, Heffernan and Delahunt are all young hookers but I'm not sure about their throwing yet. Hopefully one or two will emerge as good throwers.


                      There's a lot more back 3 options now available than we had in the world cup. Cian Kelleher looks a super player. Himself, Carbery and Fofana have most defenders beaten so far in the champions cup. Kelleher has most meters. He is another good option and could be a bolter for the Canada match.


                      John Ryan has demolished most scrums this season so he must be close to the squad.


                      Sean O'Brien - the Connacht version - looks like another international prospect. He has a big impact at the rucks and always seems to make ground when carrying. Leavy likewise is another one who looks like he'll get capped sooner or later.


                      I'm not sure about Luke McGrath. I've never been a big fan of 9s who struggle to pass. Marmion is a quality player but can't kick. Blade has looked good for Connacht so we'll see how he goes. Stephen Kerins looks the part but is only in year 1 of Connachts academy.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                        The hookers are interesting. Tracy, Scannell, Heffernan and Delahunt are all young hookers but I'm not sure about their throwing yet. Hopefully one or two will emerge as good throwers.


                        There's a lot more back 3 options now available than we had in the world cup. Cian Kelleher looks a super player. Himself, Carbery and Fofana have most defenders beaten so far in the champions cup. Kelleher has most meters. He is another good option and could be a bolter for the Canada match.


                        John Ryan has demolished most scrums this season so he must be close to the squad.


                        Sean O'Brien - the Connacht version - looks like another international prospect. He has a big impact at the rucks and always seems to make ground when carrying. Leavy likewise is another one who looks like he'll get capped sooner or later.


                        I'm not sure about Luke McGrath. I've never been a big fan of 9s who struggle to pass. Marmion is a quality player but can't kick. Blade has looked good for Connacht so we'll see how he goes. Stephen Kerins looks the part but is only in year 1 of Connachts academy.
                        I have been very impressed with the improvement McGrath has shown with his passing. He has always had that mixture of presence and time that the better scrum halves possess but looks to have tightened up, technically. Murray is the starter but McGrath could be a good man to come on as the game opens up in the second half.




                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                          Not strictly the same format as previous posts, but I was thinking yesterday evening about which young players are now genuinely knocking on the door for an international debut, and there's quite a few who surely aren't that far away.

                          Hooker: one of James Tracey or Niall Scannell is likely to be involved with Ireland in the medium-term future, although I'm not sold on either as a long-term option just yet.
                          Tighthead: John Ryan has been a revelation this season.
                          Scrum-half: Luke McGrath will debut soon enough; I don't think he's anywhere near as good at the scrum-half basics of pass selection and execution as Marmion is, but he is a much better box kicker and plays inside Sexton, so he has some advantages.
                          Out-half: Carbery will overtake Madigan in short order, mostly because he's a much more gifted player.
                          Centre: Ringrose is the real deal.
                          Wing: Adeolokun and Sweetnam are on the road to caps, especially in light of Trimble and Bowe's age profiles and Luke Fitz's retirement. Sweetnam in particular must have Joe very interested such is his ability under the high ball.

                          I've left out the back-row because there's so much depth there already, but any of Sean O'Brien, Jack O'Donoghue, and/or Dan Leavy could become live options pretty quickly with the right combination of form and injuries.
                          Completely agree. I can't remember a time when there's been such a glut of promising players coming up behind the starting XV. We may not (arguably) have the the very top class of player we had when O'Driscoll and O'Connell were at their peak in the 'golden generation' (I hate that term) but we definitely are not relying on one loosehead (as we did with Marcus), one tighthead (Hayes), one out half (O'Gara) and our totems (O'Driscoll and O'Connell). There used to be days we'd go out and if any of them were unavailable we were certain we'd lose. Not really the case anymore (although there is an argument for Murray being relatively irreplacable).

                          Whatever you say about the IRFU, their stance on academies, backing Connacht to be succesful, minimising foreign imports and general vision is definitely showing massive improvements to the number of players of the required standard. Of course we're subject to the usual ebbs and flows of how many will be truly great but that's something we may not be able to control. The other stuff we can...and seem to be doing reasonably well.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                            Not strictly the same format as previous posts, but I was thinking yesterday evening about which young players are now genuinely knocking on the door for an international debut, and there's quite a few who surely aren't that far away.

                            Hooker: one of James Tracey or Niall Scannell is likely to be involved with Ireland in the medium-term future, although I'm not sold on either as a long-term option just yet.
                            Tighthead: John Ryan has been a revelation this season.
                            Scrum-half: Luke McGrath will debut soon enough; I don't think he's anywhere near as good at the scrum-half basics of pass selection and execution as Marmion is, but he is a much better box kicker and plays inside Sexton, so he has some advantages.
                            Out-half: Carbery will overtake Madigan in short order, mostly because he's a much more gifted player.
                            Centre: Ringrose is the real deal.
                            Wing: Adeolokun and Sweetnam are on the road to caps, especially in light of Trimble and Bowe's age profiles and Luke Fitz's retirement. Sweetnam in particular must have Joe very interested such is his ability under the high ball.

                            I've left out the back-row because there's so much depth there already, but any of Sean O'Brien, Jack O'Donoghue, and/or Dan Leavy could become live options pretty quickly with the right combination of form and injuries.
                            I don't think anyone saw Billy Holland coming, tbf.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                              I don't think anyone saw Billy Holland coming, tbf.
                              We'll have to start calling you the oracle! I always hoped Ryan would get a look in but really didn't see Schmidt jettisoning Ross. You'd have to say purely on form alone, Ryan should really start. I think if we were purely going on form Ryan and Ringrose should definitely start against the All Blacks. Would be a bold an exciting selection.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by sewa View Post

                                You don't buy into the golden generation? Five Hec Trophies, a Grand Slam and a bunch of triple crowns. We will be waiting a long time for any of those to happen again imo
                                Bump, from 3 years back when the future was black
                                Gwan Joe!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X