Tom English new column in Limerick Leader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom English new column in Limerick Leader

<DIV =ds-line id=ds-line>Interesting...he agrees with other people on MF that Carney is a World Cup cert...[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]</DIV>
    <DIV =ds-line></DIV>
    <DIV =ds-line></DIV>
    <DIV =ds-line>Too early to speculate, but we're going to do it anyway</DIV>
    <DIV =ds-line></DIV>
    <DIV =ds-line></DIV>
    <DIV =ds-firstpara id=ds-firstpara>THE World Cup still seems a way off, right? Still in the distance somewhere, over the horizon. There's almost five months to go before the cockerel struts in Paris and anything can happen in five months.</DIV>
    <DIV =ds-firstpara></DIV>
    <DIV =va-text>Anything can happen in five minutes not to mind five months. Just ask Geordan Murphy. His last World Cup was destroyed when he was hit in the tackle by two Scotsmen and had his leg broken the day before Eddie O'Sullivan named his squad. From hero to hospital in the blink of an eye. So maybe it's too early to speculate. But we're going to do it anyway. Thirty players will make it on the plane to France in September.</DIV>
    <DIV =va-text>
    Think you can name all 30? Think O'Sullivan is a creature of habit who's not going to stray beyond what he's tried and tested a heap of times before? You might be right. But there's always a surprise or two in there. From Denis Hickie's ommision in 1999 (er, Matt Mostyn was picked ahead of him) to David Wallace initially being left at home in 2003 (not a decision O'Sullivan can look back on with much pride), there is always something that sticks out. The story this time?</DIV>
    <DIV =va-text>Brian Carney. Barring injury, we say he'll be in the party and he won't be there as a bit-part player either. He'll be pushing for a start. On the face of it there isn't a whole lot of evidence to back up this claim. One start against the Ospreys isn't much to hang your hat on, even if Carney turned in a performance of a union veteran rather than a guy who's been in the code a wet week. He was excellent against the Ospreys, but we're not basing our prediction on just one game. We're basing it on a four year pursuit.</DIV>
    <DIV =va-text>
    O'Sullivan wanted Carney for Ireland ages ago and couldn't get him. Carney didn't just fetch-up at Munster by chance. O'Sullivan, and his defence coach Graham Steadman, made it happen. They were working in the background, phoning him, encouraging him, telling him that things would work out if he'd only make the leap.
    It's doubtful that O'Sullivan promised him a spot at the World Cup but if we're reading the coach's mind correctly, he didn't have to. O'Sullivan might well reckon that Carney is perfectly capable of playing his way in all by himself. Early signs are that O'Sullivan's judgment is spot-on.
    Three years ago O'Sullivan spoke about Carney's skill and strength and tactical nous, about his fantastic finishing power and his sharp rugby brain. Apart from the player having now turned 30 years of age not a lot has changed since then. Carney will be on the tour to Argentina and short of him being crocked or trampled underfoot by rampaging Pumas - which, frankly, is unlikely, given some of the hellishly difficult places he's been in during his rugby league years - then the wing will figure in France.
    To broaden it out a little, O'Sullivan will go with a 16/14 or a 17/13 split between forwards and backs. The backs you can predict. Beyond Carney and a possible snub for Geordan Murphy in favour of Gavin Duffy - he likes Duffy and his relationship with Murphy isn't the best so it's not beyond the realms of possibility - then they pretty much pick themselves.
    We're including Barry Murphy in the 13/14 regardless of Declan Kidney leaving him on the bench for the Llanelli game. We can only conclude that Kidney lost his mind momentarily when he took that decision.
    Up front is where O'Sullivan has issues. The props situation is a mess, an area of massive vulnerability. John Hayes and Marc

"We're including Barry Murphy in the 13/14 regardless of Declan Kidney leaving him on the bench for the Llanelli game. We can only conclude that Kidney lost his mind momentarily when he took that decision."

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Sixpennyside
      <div> Asked whether he preferred scrummaging or sex, he replied: "what's the difference?"
      </div>

Hmmmm....and what prison did you play for ? [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

Was at thegame thought BM must have been injured not to start not doubting DK but a fit BM would have given us "that something "that we did not showthat night.
        Carney is a bit special lived in Wigan on and off for 18 months and have many friends fromfrom wigancarney is a legend there, talking to a warirors friend tonight they still think isbest winger they have had, Wigan would love him back.
        At 30 or whatever we have signed a class act who i believe will deliver for us.

Comment

Wigan would love him back.
          At 30 or whatever we have signed a class act who i believe will deliver
          for us.

My gut is telling me that Carney will be a huge force for us and Ireland
          for the next three/four years.
          If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

EOS is a spanner[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img], trust me he'll feck it up, or he'll be found out on the world stage for the tactical clown he is.

Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry

EOS is a spastic, trust me he'll feck it up, or he'll be found out on the world stage for the tactical clown he is.

Jesus, H. The season is over. Only the RWC to think about now. Don't start pourin cold water all over it before it even starts. Believe!!
              for now anyway.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Just imagine the headlines:

Carney crowned king of the world.......

Ireland and Carney topple kiwis......

Carney leads Ireland to world cup glory....

CarneyVal!

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Gavin Duffy being picked ahead of Murphy. Somehow, barring injury I think that is very unlikely. Kearney and Fitz are both well ahead in the pecking order right now. Particularly Kearney.

I'd also come close to ruling out Wilson ahead of Heaslip and O'Connor making the squad ahead of Ferris, Gleeson or Jennings.

Comment

Duffy might get a chance, EOS does rate him and if he has a good
                    showing over the summer, his versatility will bring him the RWC.

How long has Tom English been writing for the Leader?
                    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by cud_

Gavin Duffy being picked ahead of Murphy. Somehow, barring injury I think that is very unlikely. Kearney and Fitz are both well ahead in the pecking order right now. Particularly Kearney.

I'd also come close to ruling out Wilson ahead of Heaslip and O'Connor making the squad ahead of Ferris, Gleeson or Jennings.

Yeah, I'd say that name was a waste of a word in that article. He's not even getting his game in the GP since he's been back from those injuries. Forget about him.
                      You have to dare to lose to win, you have to dare to lose to win, you have to dare to lose to win. A winner hates to lose, but the winner is not afraid of losing. That\'s the difference, that\'s the difference.

- Prof. Willi Railo (sports psychologist)

Comment

And so it begins... good article though prob belongs in the international section mods? Anyways, thoughDuffy clearly has talent I'm not sure how he can be included in the world cup squad without any form to speak of. He didn't really feature at Quins in his last six months there - how has he been doing with connaught since his move?? If it's versatility that is required then surely Kieran Lewiswould have to be ahead of him in the queue and I'm fairly sure not many people would have Lewis in their thirty.

14 Backs: Stringer, Boss, Reddan - O Gara, Wallace - D'arcy, O Driscoll, Trimble - Hickie, Horgan, Carney, Dempsey, Kearney, Murphy

I'd be more inclined to agree with his thinking on Ferris - O' Sullivan is a fan but unlike the Duffy admiration, therewould bemore substance to his inclusion, and the versatility issue would come into play as well. The final back row spotcould well be decided in Argentina but for me it'd be Leamy, Wallace, Best, Easterby, Jennings, Heaslip on the plane to France in the Autumn.

Comment

I'm going to enjoy reading his columns. A good writer, and well informed too.

Comment

Does he still go to Ted's?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                            The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Good old fashioned nepotism

Comment

Working...
                              X