X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Townsend to take over from Cotter as Scotlands head coach

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37107327

Scotland: Gregor Townsend to take over from Vern Cotter as head coach

Townsend was part of Andy Robinson's coaching staff during his stint as Scotland head coachGregor Townsend is to replace Vern Cotter as Scotland head coach in June 2017, Scottish Rugby has announced.
    Glasgow Warriors head coach Townsend, 43, previously worked with Scotland as part of Andy Robinson's backroom staff.
    The former Scotland fly-half, who won 82 caps - plus two for the Lions - led Warriors to the Pro12 title in 2015.
    "I am incredibly proud. It is a real honour to be given the responsibility of coaching the national team," said Townsend.
    "My focus is firmly on the season ahead with Glasgow and I will be doing all I can to help the club continue to progress this year."

'I'm really pleased with the progress made'

Scotland improved in this year's Six Nations under Cotter and won both summer Tests in JapanNew Zealander Cotter, 54, has been in charge of the Scots since 2014 and led them to the World Cup quarter-finals last year.
    Shortly before that tournament, the former Clermont Auvergne head coach had extended his contract until 2017.
    Scotland lost all five Tests in his first Six Nations but they improved this year with wins over Italy and France, scoring a best-ever 11 tries in a single campaign.
    "I believe we have moved forward by working to execute the simple things well," said Cotter, who has now coached in Europe for a decade after an eight-year spell in France with Clermont Auvergne.
    "The focus has been to respect tradition but also perform in the present, be adaptive and innovative. I have been really pleased with the progress that has been made."

Six Nations Highlights: Scotland 29-18 France 'Time is right to take national team forward'

Scottish Rugby chief executive Mark Dodson thanked Cotter for his "considerable impact" but said the time was right to promote "one of the most sought after coaches in the game", two years out from the next World Cup in 2019.
    "The time is right to take the development of the national team forward with Gregor," said Dodson.
    "Gregor's playing record showed he is a man of vision and great professionalism, which he has since successfully transferred into his coaching roles.
    "It is these factors which I feel will enable Scotland to continue its forward momentum, building on the strong foundations laid by Vern, with the current group of players and future Scotland internationals."
    Dodson has now launched a recruitment process to find Townsend's replacement at Glasgow for next season.

Big loss for Glasgow.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Was always going to happen. I wish him luck
      I am the million man.

Comment

#vc4d4?
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
          #vc4d4?
          Rake of jobs going in NZ at the moment. He would get a franchise pretty quickly
          I am the million man.

Comment

Huge loss to Scotland, I'd have thought he and Gregor might have teamed up in tandem on the international stage.
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
              Huge loss to Scotland, I'd have thought he and Gregor might have teamed up in tandem on the international stage.
              How far can that Scottish side progress from here though? There's a very good club side in Glasgow, albeit bolstered at times by Nakawara and the scrumhalf who also left. That doesn't equate into a consistent test team though, Scotland have some very good players but it's hard to see any exceptional players, especially up front where internationals are decided.
              I am the million man.

Comment

In a vaguely related matter, has our Joe let it be known as to when he will or won't further commit to project green machine?
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  How far can that Scottish side progress from here though? There's a very good club side in Glasgow, albeit bolstered at times by Nakawara and the scrumhalf who also left. That doesn't equate into a consistent test team though, Scotland have some very good players but it's hard to see any exceptional players, especially up front where internationals are decided.
                  They do seem even more bound than us to trawling the SH for undervalued nuggets.
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Was always going to happen. I wish him luck
                    Agree. Townsend has done great things with Glasgow and is comitted to playing open, running rugby. Scotland have a few decent backs coming through and could do well under him if they get enough ball. Good luck to him. He was a brilliant attacking back in his day. Always liked him and his attitude to playing rugby.
                    Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Chiefs coach Dave Rennie new Glasgow coach. Has signed a 2 year deal. That's a great signing for them.
                      Last edited by neill_m; 19th-August-2016, 11:26.

Comment

Cotter off to Montpellier next season with Jake White finishing up.

Comment

Working...
                        X