Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G3) Boks V Ireland. 16.00 Saturday June 25th Port Elizabeth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post
    Happy to hear that tbh, Ireland's scrumaging has been excellent on this tour and you can clearly see that t totally derails the saffers when their scrum is beaten, they don't know how to play behind a retreating pack.

    If Ireland can keep their focus, play to their considerable strengths, and play out to the finish I see no reason why we can't win this series, despite what the bookies are saying.
    TBH Daithi, this development will likely strengthen the Boks. Many SA supporters view Trevor as a quota player and as such, he's viewed by some as a bit of a weak link. Of course it depends on who replaces him but I'd be surprised if his replacement is inferior.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Daithi View Post
      Happy to hear that tbh, Ireland's scrumaging has been excellent on this tour and you can clearly see that t totally derails the saffers when their scrum is beaten, they don't know how to play behind a retreating pack.

      If Ireland can keep their focus, play to their considerable strengths, and play out to the finish I see no reason why we can't win this series, despite what the bookies are saying.
      I wouldn't be. he's a serious weak link. Can't prop up a wall
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
        Surely Olding and Marshall are the logical centre pairing.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        would be the smallest 10-12-13 in world rugby among the first tier nations.

        Olding ain't a 12 based on last week's showing. Looked a bit out of his depth . I'd go with Marshall and Payne. Otherwise SA will make hay there
        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
          would be the smallest 10-12-13 in world rugby among the first tier nations.

          Olding ain't a 12 based on last week's showing. Looked a bit out of his depth . I'd go with Marshall and Payne. Otherwise SA will make hay there
          I agree. People seem to forget TOH was the best Irish fullback on display last season. I think people might be surprised at how well his game might dovetail with Payne's eye for an offload in the 13 shirt.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            would be the smallest 10-12-13 in world rugby among the first tier nations.

            Olding ain't a 12 based on last week's showing. Looked a bit out of his depth . I'd go with Marshall and Payne. Otherwise SA will make hay there
            Olding did not have a great game. But I would not judge him on a single outing. If you were to do that for every member of the Ireland team there would be nobody left to pick. He is a talented footballer and will turn out just fine. Cut him a little slack before you write him off completely.
            Erse end of nowhere

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
              would be the smallest 10-12-13 in world rugby among the first tier nations.

              Olding ain't a 12 based on last week's showing. Looked a bit out of his depth . I'd go with Marshall and Payne. Otherwise SA will make hay there
              Olding is an excellent 12. A quality footballer. I wouldn't worry about him if he was playing between Sexton and Henshaw.

              However, fielding him with a 10 of wee Paddy's size against the Boks for the second game in a row is asking a lot. They defended well last weekend but will be targeted all day.

              Comment


                #37
                It's retrospective wisdom now, which is worthless as we know, but it would be nice to be able to slot McCloskey straight into 12 for this test now.

                Tbh, for his first cap v England in Twickenham, I thought he did reasonably well, and of course there were things to improve but then guys with 70+tests like Rory Best also had things to work on after that test. So I'm slightly puzzled why he fell so far down Joe Schmidt's selection list after a good but not perfect test v an excellent England away in a losing side!?
                ____________________________________________
                Munster were great when they were Munster.

                alas they are just north munster now.......
                ____________________________________________

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                  It's retrospective wisdom now, which is worthless as we know, but it would be nice to be able to slot McCloskey straight into 12 for this test now.

                  Tbh, for his first cap v England in Twickenham, I thought he did reasonably well, and of course there were things to improve but then guys with 70+tests like Rory Best also had things to work on after that test. So I'm slightly puzzled why he fell so far down Joe Schmidt's selection list after a good but not perfect test v an excellent England away in a losing side!?
                  The logic being offered before for McCloskey's exclusion was that Schmidt was reluctant to try new players or rotate. At least for this tour, that has been shown to not be a factor. Therefore, one must presume that Schmidt is looking for someone more than a big lump to play at 12, or he just doesn't rate McCloskey's ability or temperament.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
                    The logic being offered before for McCloskey's exclusion was that Schmidt was reluctant to try new players or rotate. At least for this tour, that has been shown to not be a factor. Therefore, one must presume that Schmidt is looking for someone more than a big lump to play at 12, or he just doesn't rate McCloskey's ability or temperament.
                    When it was obvious the Johnny wasn't travelling he should have taken McCloskey as one of the squad changes. 10-12 OF wee paddy and Oldling is only a recipe for trouble against the physical Boks.
                    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Benji View Post
                      When it was obvious the Johnny wasn't travelling he should have taken McCloskey as one of the squad changes. 10-12 OF wee paddy and Oldling is only a recipe for trouble against the physical Boks.
                      That is what has me thinking it could be Marshall at 12 and Payne at 13, or maybe Earls but this being Joe I can see it being Payne.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Payne is a doubt for the game.
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                          Payne is a doubt for the game.
                          That is bad news.


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Joe- 'if we have two injuries in the same position we may have to call someone up...' Henshaw's gone and now Payne looking doubtful, surely McCloskey needs to come in.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                              Joe- 'if we have two injuries in the same position we may have to call someone up...' Henshaw's gone and now Payne looking doubtful, surely McCloskey needs to come in.

                              Paddy Wallace....


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Rabb1tts Jump View Post
                                The logic being offered before for McCloskey's exclusion was that Schmidt was reluctant to try new players or rotate. At least for this tour, that has been shown to not be a factor. Therefore, one must presume that Schmidt is looking for someone more than a big lump to play at 12, or he just doesn't rate McCloskey's ability or temperament.
                                His judgement was Marshall is a better 12 then Mc Closkey . And he was right.
                                It looks like Ireland are going for an Aaron mauger type player at 12. Long overdue

                                In my view it isn't olding though . He's just not a good enough defender for that channel . Lovely player though and I think he could be accommodated elsewhere
                                I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X