South Africa v Ireland 2nd Test 18/6/16 SS1 4pm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa v Ireland 2nd Test 18/6/16 SS1 4pm

We won last week to get a first senior test win ever in South Africa despite being down to 14 for 60 minutes.
    CJ Stander has received a 1 week ban for his clumsy challenge so is out this week.
    There should be a big backlash from the South Africans but can we seal a series victory?
    What changes would people like to 15/23?

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    We won last week to get a first senior test win ever in South Africa despite being down to 14 for 60 minutes.
    CJ Stander has received a 1 week ban for his clumsy challenge so is out this week.
    There should be a big backlash from the South Africans but can we seal a series victory?
    What changes would people like to 15/23?
    On the high veldt I think our best chance of beating them is running around them. Back 3 need to be effective in running ball back from deep. Also 3 x 80 mins is a lot to ask. So some changes for the purposes of resting players

I'd like to see Mcgrath, Cronin, Furlong, Dillane, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, Heaslip, Murray, Jackson, Healy, Olding, Marshell, Earls, TOH

Comment

Originally posted by upandout View Post
      On the high veldt I think our best chance of beating them is running around them. Back 3 need to be effective in running ball back from deep. Also 3 x 80 mins is a lot to ask. So some changes for the purposes of resting players

I'd like to see Mcgrath, Cronin, Furlong, Dillane, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, Heaslip, Murray, Jackson, Healy, Olding, Marshell, Earls, TOH
      I think Schmidt has to go for the jugular, finish off the Boks while they are still off-balance and regrouping, and try to clinch the series. i think he will go for the same team as last week, with just one change for Stander. Who deserves to dropped? If Ireland can nick this one, they can juggle selection all they like for the third game. He will either start Ruddock, in a straight swap fpr Stander, or move Henderson to 6 and bring in Dillane at lock. I favour the latter, but Joes does not seem to reckon Dillane as an 80 min player. The abrasive Ryan could be in with a shout too - don't know how he is doing in training camp. Let's hope it's not Quinn Who in any case.
      Erse end of nowhere

Comment

SA will go back to basics for this game. Steyn likely to play at 10 and they will look to be far more physical in the contact area and really take us on at scrum/maul/lineout so physicality in the forwards required.

McGrath, Best, Ross - need Best/Ross on for first 45-50 mins.
        Ryan, Toner
        Henderson, Ruddock, Heaslip
        Murray, Jackson
        Earls, Marshall, Henshaw, Trimble
        Payne

Bealham, Cronin, Furlong, Dillane, Murphy, Marmian, Madigan, Gilroy

Comment

I reckon Ruddock in for Stander will be only change unless there is an injury enforced one
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

I think this is the one to make a few changes. I think some fresh legs and a bit of unpredictability could help counter the inevitable Bok backlash at altitude.

Healy in for Earls and TOH on the bench. I think we'll see a bit more kicking from them and would like to see us ready to run it back.

Dillane into the row with Toner and Henderson moving to 6 for CJ. Maybe put Ruddock in at 7 for a bit more beef because the Boks will come out fighting.

Start one of Furlong and Bealham with the other on the bench. Really worried about Ross's ability to survive at altitude. He struggles enough as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
              I think this is the one to make a few changes. I think some fresh legs and a bit of unpredictability could help counter the inevitable Bok backlash at altitude.

Healy in for Earls and TOH on the bench. I think we'll see a bit more kicking from them and would like to see us ready to run it back.

Dillane into the row with Toner and Henderson moving to 6 for CJ. Maybe put Ruddock in at 7 for a bit more beef because the Boks will come out fighting.

Start one of Furlong and Bealham with the other on the bench. Really worried about Ross's ability to survive at altitude. He struggles enough as is.
              I would think getting 30-40 mins out of Ross to cope with the Beast is the best use of resources

Comment

No matter what happens this weekend we have made the last day a tour decider, or even better! I think the backlash is going to be swift and severe, Ireland need to weather that storm and then go back at SA, because I dont think (can believe i'm typing this) we should be in any way afraid of their physicality or bulk.

We played a very smart 80 mins of rugby, if we can do that again just once in the next two games then immortality beckons. Let the Boks flash and burn this weekend
                I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                  I would think getting 30-40 mins out of Ross to cope with the Beast is the best use of resources
                  The problem being Ross can't cope with Beast.

Comment

Anyone know who the ref is for game 2?

EDIT

Glen Jackson for G2 and it says we have him for G3 as well? That cant be right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_m...internationals
                    Last edited by Cowboy; 14th-June-2016, 10:49.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      Anyone know who the ref is for game 2?

EDIT

Glen Jackson for G2 and it says we have him for G3 as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_m...internationals
                      From memory I think it's Angus Gardner this weekend, with Jackson and Whitehouse running the line. Third Test, Gardner and Jackson swap places.

Comment

Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                        From memory I think it's Angus Gardner this weekend, with Jackson and Whitehouse running the line. Third Test, Gardner and Jackson swap places.
                        That makes more sense. Stupid Wikipedia!

Wish someone would establish a simple referee appointment website for the internationals, its never shown on the lineups of any of the rugby news sites like.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                          I reckon Furlong and Bealham are more than capable in the scrum and we'll need more than Ross can offer elsewhere.

Besides, it really is time we started moving on at TH. This tour is an opportunity to do it.

Comment

I'd like to see Furlong, Bealham, Dillane, and Healy start. Put out a different side but one that can hold its own.
                            The new selections are needed to keep it fresh. Playing the same 14 players will be what the boks will want to face after the poor display last week.
                            What are our options for giving Henshaw a rest?
                            When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Aboy CJ!

Training today

Click image for larger version

Name:	INPHO_01072225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	2487658

Click image for larger version

Name:	INPHO_01072227.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB