Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ireland only select foreign based players with more than sixty caps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Ireland only select foreign based players with more than sixty caps?

Quite a simple poll really, should Ireland bring in a hard and fast rule that only foreign based players with sixty caps will be considered for Ireland selection.
    yes
    12.50%
    no
    87.50%

With this kind of policy, we would never have brought in Tipoki, Stander or Laulala and would be overlooking genuine talent for overpriced players looking to make money after giving it all to their country.

I agree we should be chasing quality rather than just plugging gaps but setting up a copper fastened policy like that would just serve to restrict squad improvements.
    The problem with this world is there are too many snakes... and not enough Ladders!
    Originally posted by joconnell
    If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by deadlyBuzz View Post
      With this kind of policy, we would never have brought in Tipoki, Stander or Laulala and would be overlooking genuine talent for overpriced players looking to make money after giving it all to their country.

I agree we should be chasing quality rather than just plugging gaps but setting up a copper fastened policy like that would just serve to restrict squad improvements.
      I think the Poll is about selecting players for the National Side.

Comment

I think we just stick with the current informal policy: if you go, you'd better be head and shoulders above the other options available or you won't be picked. Gives us the flexibility to select a lad like Ross, who developed abroad, or the likes of Madigan if we're destroyed with injuries at some point and desperately need him.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
          I think the Poll is about selecting players for the National Side.
          If they've 60 foreign caps, they're ineligible.
          I think it means the Irish Provinces, when looking abroad, should there be a distinct policy to select only players with >=60 caps.
          The problem with this world is there are too many snakes... and not enough Ladders!
          Originally posted by joconnell
          If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by deadlyBuzz View Post
            If they've 60 foreign caps, they're ineligible.
            I think it means the Irish Provinces, when looking abroad, should there be a distinct policy to select only players with >=60 caps.
            No, its a continuation of posts on other threads, should we copy Oz and only select Irish players who have a huge number of caps already before they go abroad. Its nothing to do with foreign or project players
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
              No, its a continuation of posts on other threads, should we copy Oz and only select Irish players who have a huge number of caps already before they go abroad. Its nothing to do with foreign or project players
              I get you now. Basically that they need to earn the right to get selected while playing overseas.

So Paulie would be eligible to be selected but Madigan (next season) would not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                I get you now. Basically that they need to earn the right to get selected while playing overseas.

So Paulie would be eligible to be selected but Madigan (next season) would not.
                Yes, the 60 mentioned above is an arbitrary number Cheika selected for Oz, Ireland could set a different number
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

it's worth bearing in mind that, were the limit set at 60, both Sexton and Murray would be ineligible if they moved abroad. Think it needs to be done on a case by case basis

Comment

If he's IQ and good enough then it should not matter if he has none or 100
                    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the current policy.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                        If he's IQ and good enough then it should not matter if he has none or 100
                        It will be very hard to keep players in Ireland then given the prevailing financial situations in France and England.

Comment

It's a professional Game, money is the elephant in the room, but hypothetically, let's say a young academy player feels it's in his best interest to go abroad to play and develops into a top world class player deserving of a place in the Irish team on his performances, would you prefer if he under the residency rules plays for England et al.
                          psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                            It's a professional Game, money is the elephant in the room, but hypothetically, let's say a young academy player feels it's in his best interest to go abroad to play and develops into a top world class player deserving of a place in the Irish team on his performances, would you prefer if he under the residency rules plays for England et al.
                            Fair enough, maybe any rules shouldn't apply to a certain Kerryman being called up to play for the Wolfhounds!?!?

Comment

There isn't any wolfhounds!
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                              X