6 Nations 2016 Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Nations 2016 Thread

A month out is about time to start this. Many changes apparent, big names slipped away from the test level, new coaches in place. A new cycle begins culminating in a RWC in Japan, hopefully Ireland can remain competitive up to and beyond that.

Will be extremely interesting to see where the 6N trophy ends up, England are the bookies favourites at the moment with us second and Wales third.
    I am the million man.

Anything less than a GS and Eddie Jones will be under pressure, well, they'll need to beat Wales. Have a handy start to gain momentum, while both away, Scot then Italy, they should have 2 wins before they face us in Twickenham, while we could conceivably be down 2 by losses to Wales (H) and France in Paris. All set up for a final day's showdown with a rejuvenated France. Certainly Eng justify the favorites tag if only because they're biggest of a bad lot.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I genuinely reckon we will finish 4th.

I'm looking forward to the tournament though. Hope i'm wrong.

Comment

I was goin to start another thread but I cant be arsed. Can anyone see Ireland winning any of the next 3/4 6N's? Its going to take a big step up in leadership because the loss of BOD and POC were successional. In those two we genuinely had two of the greatest players on the planet to turn to in a quagmire. We've some top class players at the moment, but are any of them truly world class? top 3 in their position internationally?

Have a slightly sinking feeling that we may be facing a slight downward curve rather than an upward one.
        I am the million man.

Comment

On top form, Healy, O'Brien, Murray, and Sexton are all in the conversation as "world class" players, or at least players who are capable of producing world-class performances. Unfortunately I suspect Healy and Sexton won't ever return to that top form, and whether O'Brien will is an open question. Some tough times ahead potentially, but things could turn our way if some of the young players keep getting better: McGrath, Henderson, and Henshaw are the ones that spring to mind in that respect. And there's another battery of potentially high quality international players coming up behind, with McCloskey, Ringrose, and O'Donoghue the real gems imo. I think we can stay competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
            I was goin to start another thread but I cant be arsed. Can anyone see Ireland winning any of the next 3/4 6N's? Its going to take a big step up in leadership because the loss of BOD and POC were successional. In those two we genuinely had two of the greatest players on the planet to turn to in a quagmire. We've some top class players at the moment, but are any of them truly world class? top 3 in their position internationally?

Have a slightly sinking feeling that we may be facing a slight downward curve rather than an upward one.
            Yes!!

None of the other sides are particularly good either
            "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

No Henderson, no POM, out of sorts halfbacks, we have to beat Wales first up otherwise we're wooden spoon contenders
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by lactose intolerant View Post
                Yes!!

None of the other sides are particularly good either
                Wales are bloody handy!

England and France might be disregarded by some but I reckon they are two sleeping giants, when you've twice as many players to pick from you've twice as many chances to overcome injuries. Plus they can bosh till the cows come home and draft in fresh boshers when needed.

What happens if Sexton or Murr get injured? we are in bother?
                What happens if Farrell oy Youngs get injured? Care, Wigglesworth, Ford, Cips.
                I am the million man.

Comment

I wouldnt be having that negative an outlook at all with it. We have always punched above our weight and produced a few new players every year.
                  At the moment Jack McGrath is a great loose head and in my mind should be 1st choice. He has the capacity to be one of the best loose heads around. Buckley Cronin and Kilcoyne with Healy needing a big rest before judgement.
                  Moore and Furlong have shown great potential and with a bit of luck one of them could be the rock we build a scrum around.
                  Secondrow - Toner will be around for a few years. While not in the top 5 in the World he does all the basics very well. And continues to improve. Henderson has the potential to be an Irish great.
                  Sob, In the top 5 in the World in the last few years. Looks rejuvenated after his break.
                  Stander, How many great performances has he had for Munster. What will he be like when he plays international quality players and will he improve by being surrounded by better players. I'd hope so.
                  Stander needs a break in the next few weeks as his been playing non-stop if we are to see the best side of him.

9. Murray I think his game has got back to his best since he had the few head knocks last year. His got to work on his break and worry defences a bit more. His been a great scrum half before so he only needs to find form. Marmion for me needs to be given a chance. Weve seen what a narky quick breaking 9 Ben Young could do against sides.
                  I think Marmion if he improves his kicking game he will be no 2.
                  Luke McGrath hopefully will drive on in Leinster. More gametime needed for him and thats hard to get in big games with Reddan still hanging in there.

10. Sexton at his best would be the solution but his struggling and will need to adapt his game to survive the physical battles. Madigan isnt the answer but at least his place kicking is class. Jackson attacks the gainline like a blindside winger but he needs to add great place kicking to his game.

Centres. Henshaw with improvement could be World class at 12/13. I hope we resist the urge to play him at 15 as it would be too far away from the action. McCloskey ? We wont know about him until we see how he deals with the better defenders and the speed of international rugby. He looks a beast to tackle and is always looking for the offload which helps. Ringrose = will his obvious class stand up to the physical nature of internationals. Gametime and patience needed.
                  Wings, Par Earls we have a fair few lads who havent proven to be good enough yet or are in bad form/injured.
                  15. A leap of faith needed here to allow someone else a chance to step up.

I think we will finish second this year.
                  When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Wales are bloody handy!

England and France might be disregarded by some but I reckon they are two sleeping giants, when you've twice as many players to pick from you've twice as many chances to overcome injuries. Plus they can bosh till the cows come home and draft in fresh boshers when needed.

What happens if Sexton or Murr get injured? we are in bother?
                    What happens if Farrell oy Youngs get injured? Care, Wigglesworth, Ford, Cips.
                    I just don't think it's outlandish to say we could win one in the next 3/4 years

The World Cup showed that none of the 6 Nations sides are particularly good, I don't see it as impossible that Ireland will be the cream of the mediocre at least once in this World Cup cycle
                    "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

Comment

I'll be baldly blunt so.

We have been regressing for 12 months or more, becoming more and more risk averse.
                      We've arguably lost our greatest ever forward and skipper. A totem of Irish rugby
                      We don't pick on form, we pick on familiarity
                      We rely on the ability not to fluck up, not on the ability to create.
                      We don't back youth in many positions, Marmion and Jackson immediately spring to mind
                      We've smaller playing resources than 2 of our 5 opponents, over reliance on the same 25 lads ended our RWC campaign.
                      We've won 2 titles on points difference, so as Larry says the margins are tiny.
                      We've one outhalf, who has been broken more than once at this level, then we've a lad who has left the Irish playing pool, and a dirt tracker who is rarely, if ever, picked.
                      We've stopped scoring tries against better opposition.

EDIT, and there are one or two jerseys that are welded to the same blokes irrespective of their form.

Anyone envisage Ireland starting a game without 2 of KearneyR-Heaslip-Toner under Schmidt without injury forcing his hand?

(this is not me getting the axe out for Joe, but I think Ireland have a lot of improving to do with the same players and coaches, more emphasis needed on spreading the playing load and backing the players to play the game positively)
                      Last edited by Cowboy; 7th-January-2016, 12:15.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Jebus, The negative outlook at Munster has already spread to the Irish. Were doomed I tell ya Doomed.
                        Not really but it makes it more exciting
                        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                          Jebus, The negative outlook at Munster has already spread to the Irish. Were doomed I tell ya Doomed.
                          Have a look at Irelands last nine or ten results and then come back to us
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            Have a look at Irelands last nine or ten results and then come back to us
                            I have and with an open mind and understanding of the resources available to us. But sure Mystic Meg I'm sure you can predict the next 5-6 games anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                              From this:

To this:

With many of the same players
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X