No announcement yet.

Ireland Vs All Blacks Chicago Nov 5th 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're going to kick the absolute leather off the ball and blitz them on the narrow pitch all day long, with the forward subs in particular clearly primed for impact in the last 20. In that context, I can just about see the rationale for Kearney and Murphy; Kearney at 15 and Payne at 13 allows for an entire back-line that's extremely capable in the air, while Murphy will rack up a big tackle and ruck count for 50-60 minutes before VDF comes on in an attempt to allow us to cover more ground toward the end of the match. The fact that they have Naholo and Savea rather than Dagg on the wings means we could have some joy in the air; certainly Savea was dominated in that aspect of the game in Christchurch in 2012 by no less a player than Fergus McFadden, so I'd fancy Trimble to give him a tough time notwithstanding his improvement over the intervening four and a half years.

As a selection, it's clearly very limiting in terms of our ability to cut them open, but if we can hit the same tempo in possession as November 2013 we can probably build some scores. Unfortunately, I don't think our pack is as good as it was then, so I doubt that'll be enough. Really looking forward to seeing our bench impact though; the idea of a rejuvenated Healy, Cronin, Dillane, and VDF all coming on in a short window of time is exciting. I'd say the same about the backs but Marmion and Carbery might not even make it on.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
      No, no you couldn't. You'd have nothing of international class at second row, hooker, nine or centres. Every team has injuries, look at the All Blacks second rows, no excuses from them though
      Richardt Strauss
      Iain Henderson
      Luke Marshall
      Stuart McCloskey
      Keith Earls

They dont have to be world beaters to make the Irish 23 for Chicago a bit stronger than it is.
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        Richardt Strauss
        Iain Henderson
        Luke Marshall
        Stuart McCloskey
        Keith Earls

They dont have to be world beaters to make the Irish 23 for Chicago a bit stronger than it is.
        Is Marshall injured?
        He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
          We're going to kick the absolute leather off the ball and blitz them on the narrow pitch all day long, with the forward subs in particular clearly primed for impact in the last 20. In that context, I can just about see the rationale for Kearney and Murphy; Kearney at 15 and Payne at 13 allows for an entire back-line that's extremely capable in the air, while Murphy will rack up a big tackle and ruck count for 50-60 minutes before VDF comes on in an attempt to allow us to cover more ground toward the end of the match. The fact that they have Naholo and Savea rather than Dagg on the wings means we could have some joy in the air; certainly Savea was dominated in that aspect of the game in Christchurch in 2012 by no less a player than Fergus McFadden, so I'd fancy Trimble to give him a tough time notwithstanding his improvement over the intervening four and a half years.

As a selection, it's clearly very limiting in terms of our ability to cut them open, but if we can hit the same tempo in possession as November 2013 we can probably build some scores. Unfortunately, I don't think our pack is as good as it was then, so I doubt that'll be enough. Really looking forward to seeing our bench impact though; the idea of a rejuvenated Healy, Cronin, Dillane, and VDF all coming on in a short window of time is exciting. I'd say the same about the backs but Marmion and Carbery might not even make it on.
          They will have analysed the SA games and will fully expect us to boot it into the corners. While playing five fullbacks is an interesting way to carry out the strategy, I don't think it will be enough.

I'll eat my shoes if Marmion plays, Carbery will only play in the event of a Sexton injury.... so fairly certain then....

Comment

Richardt Strauss
            Iain Henderson
            Luke Marshall
            Stuart McCloskey
            Keith Earls

Strauss is nowhere near where he was few years ago. Third choice at Leinster at best. Henderson is the most over rated player in world rugby. Not quite a second row, not quite a back row. Those two centres have potential, I won't pre-judge them but they are hardly established at top level. Earlsie is a fine player even if doubts persist if he is a top class 13, probably better deployed on wing. In short your team might be able to beat Canada but none of the tier one nations
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

We will win this game. We will dominate in the scrum and lineout. Our rolling Maul will make huge gains and the narrower pitch will stare the bastards of any space. Their 10 who is a flaky kicker out of hand will fluff his clearance kicks under massive pressure from our chasers.

There i said it.

Comment

Henderson is the most over rated player in world rugby

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Lad View Post
                  They will have analysed the SA games and will fully expect us to boot it into the corners. While playing five fullbacks is an interesting way to carry out the strategy, I don't think it will be enough.
                  I don't think we played that way against South Africa at all really. Maybe in the first Test after CJ was sent off. But certainly they'll look at our line-up and know what's coming.

Comment

Strauss is nowhere near where he was few years ago. Third choice at Leinster at best. Henderson is the most over rated player in world rugby. Not quite a second row, not quite a back row. Those two centres have potential, I won't pre-judge them but they are hardly established at top level. Earlsie is a fine player even if doubts persist if he is a top class 13, probably better deployed on wing. In short your team might be able to beat Canada but none of the tier one nations
                    Like any half decent team should, which is what I said. I didnt say there was a whole team available to Joe that could beat a tier one nation which he'd overlooked, there are a fair few lads that could have made the 23 for tomorrow stronger and are unavailable.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

We are told Kearney is picked for "experience" & its a conservative selection to try & keep the score down. How exactly is picking a FB who repeatedly has proven that he's a liability in defence going to help keep the score down???

Also it has been pointed out several times in the media how shrewd Joe is & in his video analysis he spots little small things that have resulted in players being dropped. Zebo's ball presentation against Wales in 2015 was given as the reason for losing his place against Scotland, similarly we heard the same re TOD being dropped after Wales 2014. How in the name of God is Kearney coming through these video sessions when Mr Magoo can see all the mistakes he's making game after game?

Comment

Originally posted by sykes View Post
                        Agreed
                        Somebody once described Francesco Totti as a player who always plays well in games you don't watch. There's a bit of that going on with Iain Henderson, whenever I sit down to watch him play he never really delivers what I expect. The Italy match was the last time I saw him play up close, though it was a poor day all round to be fair. Still a great prospect at international level in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lad View Post
                          Somebody once described Francesco Totti as a player who always plays well in games you don't watch. There's a bit of that going on with Iain Henderson, whenever I sit down to watch him play he never really delivers what I expect. The Italy match was the last time I saw him play up close, though it was a poor day all round to be fair. Still a great prospect at international level in my opinion.
                          Would he make your 23 for tomorrow over VdF?
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by thoughtless View Post
                            I don't think we played that way against South Africa at all really. Maybe in the first Test after CJ was sent off. But certainly they'll look at our line-up and know what's coming.
                            Second test in Jo'burg bringing on Combrinck was the winning and losing of that game. He was able to deal with the high ball after we had exploited Mvovo for 40 minutes. Combrinck was well able for it, scored a try and SA won the match because our gameplan stopped working. If you don't agree then I must have been watching a different match.

Comment

Like any half decent team should, which is what I said. I didnt say there was a whole team available to Joe that could beat a tier one nation which he'd overlooked, there are a fair few lads that could have made the 23 for tomorrow stronger and are unavailable.
                              You listed five lads, at least two of whom are fit and available (Marshall and Strauss). Earlsie is banned and McCloskey is probably unable to gain a visa. Only the hype machine is out injured and he'd bench anyway so cut the excuses
                              My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Would he make your 23 for tomorrow over VdF?
                                I would definitely have him in the squad if he were fit. Though I think it would be between him and Ultan as I see him as a second row who can cover backrow if necessary. Henderson is a fantastic sub but hasn't met my (very high) expectations when he starts at international level. I think we should be alternating one of Toner and Ryan with one of Dillane and Henderson in every international when possible. Backrow is too stacked with quality and we have a need in second row.

Comment

Working...
                                X