The Irish can't Offload?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish can't Offload?

I was watching the Munster vs Toulouse game again (from 2000) -- what a game -- I officially call shenanigans to any accusation that the Irish can't offload.

Exhibit A (from 15 years ago):

I am Flsghujslkuo, and I approved this message.

O Gara's pass on 8 seconds was very nice indeed.

Comment

My ball handling (hur) 15:

Healy
      Best / strauss
      Moore
      Henderson
      Toner
      SOB
      POM
      Heaslip
      Murray
      Sexton / madigan
      Earls
      Henshaw
      Payne
      Fitz
      Zebo

I reckon all of those players can or have thrown a nice pass over the season - it's mainly the tight five where we fall down.
      The system is dead! Long live the process!

Comment

Its not as simple as just offloading.

The vast majority of players who took a pass in that passage of play were all moving forward and many were running good lines towards space.

Even when the likes of Foley took the ball static he immediately got go forward and made ground to keep the momentum and the opposition on the back foot.

Off loading is only half the battle . . .you need the guy taking the ball to be going somewhere with purpose and not static to keep the whole thing going.

It would be very hard at Test level against quality opposition to continually beat defenders the way we were there.

It doesn't look at all far removed from the way Munster are playing at the moment either tbh.

Comment

Random tangent: looking at how the northern hemisphere sides performed at the WC -- I wonder how much the poor form of the international sides is influenced by the influx of Southern Hemisphere stars. This is probably more of a concern in France.
          I am Flsghujslkuo, and I approved this message.

Comment

Originally posted by flsghujslkuo View Post
            Random tangent: looking at how the northern hemisphere sides performed at the WC -- I wonder how much the poor form of the international sides is influenced by the influx of Southern Hemisphere stars. This is probably more of a concern in France.
            Yeah I'm sure theres a direct relationship. Its not so much the foreign stars, but the foreign mediocre players who are the issue IMHO

Comment

I had a glance at a few Pro12 matches involving Irish sides. Theres no shortage of offloading from the provinces this season. Interesting to see who is doing it though. In general it seems to be foreigners and young Irish players (26 or under). They seem to have different habits and a willingness to keep the ball alive rather than put the head down and set up the next ruck.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                I had a glance at a few Pro12 matches involving Irish sides. Theres no shortage of offloading from the provinces this season. Interesting to see who is doing it though. In general it seems to be foreigners and young Irish players (26 or under). They seem to have different habits and a willingness to keep the ball alive rather than put the head down and set up the next ruck.
                To be fair, that only leaves the senior players who aren't good enough to be at the World Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                  To be fair, that only leaves the senior players who aren't good enough to be at the World Cup.

Or maybe it just means the younger players are better coached. That would be expected anyway given the investment thats been put into coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                    Or maybe it just means the younger players are better coached. That would be expected anyway given the investment thats been put into coaching.
                    Well that's true from what I can see, I just meant it's a bit misleading when the majority of the best players aren't back yet.

Comment

Originally posted by flsghujslkuo View Post
                      I was watching the Munster vs Toulouse game again (from 2000) -- what a game -- I officially call shenanigans to any accusation that the Irish can't offload.

Exhibit A (from 15 years ago
                      Clearly it was the warm, dry weather that caused it. [emoji295]️
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Nope none of the NH sides can off load like the SH who play to keep the ball alive.
                        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj_MCzzkvZ8

Two lovely offloads at 20sec and 1min 50sec there leading directly to tries

Comment

?

Comment

In the Ireland Argentina game Arg made 5 offloads and Ireland made 4 offloads so it's hardly indicative of offloading being the biggest issues. In the RWC final Aus only made 2 offloads. In the Arg v's Aus semi-final Arg made 7 offloads to 6.

Comment

Working...
                              X