Best and Henderson are not Irish according to the Daily Telrgraph

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best and Henderson are not Irish according to the Daily Telrgraph

The standard of rugby journalism in Ireland and Britain has (as ever ) been very poor in this World Cup - with little or no research or insight into the 'weaker' teams - who have already set the tournament alight - but the Daily Telegraph has surely hit a new journalistic low by claiming that Irish players, Henderson and Best, were not born in the country they represent.

https://bangordub.wordpress.com/2015.../#comment-9882
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

um...Tuilagi for one.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Any link to the actual Telegraph article?
      A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

I'd imagine this was a case of relying too much on an excellent spreadsheet.

You can't base your national sports sides on something totally different to the real life geo-politcal situation and not expect some confusion.
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
          I'd imagine this was a case of relying too much on an excellent spreadsheet.

You can't base your national sports sides on something totally different to the real life geo-politcal situation and not expect some confusion.
          A few points. I think the author might shrink from telling Rory and Ian that they are not Irish. The Geo-political situation has little to do with it. As Ulstermen, they reserve the right to be Irish, British and and Ulster man all rolled into one complex little package of identity.

Comment

Originally posted by LastKnight View Post
            A few points. I think the author might shrink from telling Rory and Ian that they are not Irish. The Geo-political situation has little to do with it. As Ulstermen, they reserve the right to be Irish, British and and Ulster man all rolled into one complex little package of identity.
            I forget which book it was (maybe Axel's?) where he recalled Bestie turning to him during God Save the Queen and said "you don't mind if I sing along, do ya?" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by LastKnight View Post
              If that's the case, would you mind asking them to sing Ireland's Call ? The only reason it's being used is to be inclusive of them....the least they could do is sing the thing !

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                If that's the case, would you mind asking them to sing Ireland's Call ? The only reason it's being used is to be inclusive of them....the least they could do is sing the thing !
                You can't force anyone to sing Ireland's Call. That would have human trghts implications. It's bad enough having to listen to the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                  um...Tuilagi for one.
                  Ironically the Telegraph posted this story about Tuilagi as well
                  www.canvasclubshop.com

Comment

Did anyone watch the tv3 documentary on it? I'd love to know the viewership on that
                    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                      Any link to the actual Telegraph article?
                      As I understand it - the offending piece was only in the print edition.

https://bangordub.files.wordpress.co...andplayers.jpg
                      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux View Post
                        I forget which book it was (maybe Axel's?) where he recalled Bestie turning to him during God Save the Queen and said "you don't mind if I sing along, do ya?" LOL
                        Was it just before Maurice Ignatius Keane's first cap against France in gay Paree in 1974 that he informed big William John MacBride and Cameron Mike Henderson Gibson that they had been included in his prayers to the BVM and that they needn't worry about a thing?
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

As an English republican atheist, I only ever sing God Save the Queen at England v Ireland matches.
                          And then only to wind my brother in law up!
                          english by birth

Comment

Basically, they're just agin EVERYONE.

Except, oddly, Corkonians. It's quare, but in my experience even the staunchest get on famously with hardcore Rebels. Mostly, I think, because we consider them soft on the subject of Dublin rule...
                            Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                              Basically, they're just agin EVERYONE.

Except, oddly, Corkonians. It's quare, but in my experience even the staunchest get on famously with hardcore Rebels. Mostly, I think, because we consider them soft on the subject of Dublin rule...
                              ...proper order.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X