No announcement yet.

World cup 2015, Travel help, advice and warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The organisers in fairness said they hadn't enough transport sorted rail and bus as they didn't think there would be the volume needed. I haven't heard of any other games being as bad as the Canada game which was the first in Cardiff.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
      The organisers in fairness said they hadn't enough transport sorted rail and bus as they didn't think there would be the volume needed. I haven't heard of any other games being as bad as the Canada game which was the first in Cardiff.
      Unfortunately that was and is not good enough. They knew ticket sales for the train, 1000s were booked in advance of the game and they also continued to sell more tickets on the morning of the match and then the issuance of a pathetic, we're sorry, we got it wrong statement. Standing in queues where parents with young children and the elderly were herded into stiles was nothing short of disgraceful not a mind dangerous. Then people packed onto over crowded trains, with no regards to their Health and Safety. I, along with many of our party have made written complaints but there were also issues in London the night before for the English game with overcrowding on trains and the same for the Welsh game the following day. One would hate to think that one of the things that this tournament will be remembered for, is the poor organisation of the transport for the event, which unfortunately is how it will be for our travelling party, who have travelled to other World Cup and rugby tournament games with little or no issues.
      Last edited by oconnora1; 6th-October-2015, 22:23.

Comment

Agree with all that Oconnora
        They were useless . But my question was has it been sorted?
        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Didn't see your question Benji, but from what I've checked out, they're planning to have extra carriages on all trains, but the system to board the trains is the same method, with everyone shunted in the one way until nearer segregated barriers for each main station, but expect delays. Would strongly recommend checking the bus routes for those travelling and if trains are the only option, then be prepared for the long haul. Thankfully there's been plenty of good banter between everyone and plenty of sing songs.

Comment

I was talking to some fans who were at last weeks game and there were two stratford train stations and only one was open. They again had people blocked off into a narrow side street to get in to the train station. The wait was over an hour but once in the station it was fast enough.

I wonder what time is the last train out of cardiff at the weekend to Bristol. For late kick offs they tend to run later but maybe a special for the world cup.

Comment

plan plan plan !!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...ation-10182688

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...5-new-10185343

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                Did anyone go to any of the Irish supporters nights yet at the RWC? I booked 2 tickets for the Quarter Final weekend in Cardiff through MRSC. Just wondering if there are restrictions on wearing jerseys etc
                None at all, Id say 70% of people were in some sort of Irish attire (polo's/t's/jerseys etc)

IRFU have a few clips from London up here:
                https://t.co/vtRpHz4Fqr
                https://t.co/Vj9PGHP05Q
                https://t.co/yrXbeFYNMt

Comment

brilliant clips... thanks for sharing....
                  He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                    I was talking to some fans who were at last weeks game and there were two stratford train stations and only one was open. They again had people blocked off into a narrow side street to get in to the train station. The wait was over an hour but once in the station it was fast enough.
                    The Girl said getting on to the Central Line was mental after the Italy game at Stratford so they got an Overground instead. Unfortunately a points failure at Willesden meant they got turfed off there. They then tried a cab which wanted £55 for the 4.5 mile journey! I went and got them instead. 20 minute journey. It's not just the RWC that are trying to rip us off.
                    english by birth

Comment

Originally posted by MRSC London Branch View Post
                      None at all, Id say 70% of people were in some sort of Irish attire (polo's/t's/jerseys etc)

IRFU have a few clips from London up here:
                      https://t.co/vtRpHz4Fqr
                      https://t.co/Vj9PGHP05Q
                      https://t.co/yrXbeFYNMt
                      Thanks MRSCLB! Any restrictions on teenagers attending with parents?
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Cardiff train station simply can't cope with the numbers of people. It's the same for Six Nations etc. For that reason, I usually drive; have a bite to eat post game, waiting an hour or two to set off.

If you are staying outside Cardiff, you can generally hire a car reasonably cheaply on weekends.

As for last weekend, anyone who uses public transport in London on a regular basis will tell you of far worse horror stories of than waiting for an hour (Northern Line, London Bridge, on a hot summers morning at 8 am = Dante's 5th circle of hell!).
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                          Cardiff train station simply can't cope with the numbers of people. It's the same for Six Nations etc. For that reason, I usually drive; have a bite to eat post game, waiting an hour or two to set off.

If you are staying outside Cardiff, you can generally hire a car reasonably cheaply on weekends.

As for last weekend, anyone who uses public transport in London on a regular basis will tell you of far worse horror stories of than waiting for an hour (Northern Line, London Bridge, on a hot summers morning at 8 am = Dante's 5th circle of hell!).
                          On that last point, it was said afterwards that a transporter would be prosecuted if cattle had been subjected to the same temperatures.

To be honest, the planning is a disgrace. If Ireland or anyone else did it this badly they would be laughing at us. They should run buses to Bristol and Newport for the trains up to Birmingham and get the London passengers on trains at Cardiff with more buses available and advertised I.e to Heathrow.

Comment

Fitzy, What time can you pick us up in Bristol. There a few pints in it for ya

Comment

Hey guys, has anyone gone from the Millennium to Cardiff Airport after a match. If so was the easiest grabbing the T9 shuttle or taxi? We're flying out at 7pm after the second QF on Sunday night. There should be plenty of time but just wanted to check if anyone had any problems getting their already.

Comment

Rugby fans travelling to the Millennium Stadium this weekend are being warned to expect disruption to public transport due to the latest strike by Cardiff Bus drivers.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...uring-10224783

Comment

Working...
                                X