Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World cup 2015, Travel help, advice and warnings

Knackered after the weekend in Cardiff,
    We went in a minibus through Holyhead to Bristol.
    Got into Holyhead around 12 on Friday. It took 6 hours to get to Bristol. We went across past Chester and down the M6 and M5 down to Bristol.
    Driving an old enough Transit with 9 we werent going fast but traffic was slow with a few roadworks.
    Bristol is a nice place with good bars and restaurants. We were able to bring the kids to watch the Fiji game which was great in BSB Sports bar with an ok bar platter of food.

Booked train tickets to Bristol on line a few weeks ago. We werent able to reserve seats at the time.
    We collected the tickets Friday night. Bristol was jammers on Saturday morning around 9.30. The first two trains were packed so we got on an 8 carriage extra train that they had put on. Most people I spoke to had similar problems and delays in getting a train. Grand journey once we had seats. Good craic

Some of our friends had to collect tickets that they had prepaid for at the ticket office. It took 45minutes in a Queue up a stairs. Be warned

After the game the train station was said to be mayhem and very busy. One of the lads was in line for over half an hour and game up and came back to us in the Supporters village.

We finished watching the Japanese game and headed for the station again. We waited half an hour with a few thousand other people in pens like sheep. There was very little movement. People were tire some drunk. Families with Kids were waiting also.
    We scouted for a few Taxi's and we got two to go to Bristol in the end. 20 pounds each in an hour long journey.
    Great to get back to Bristol.
    I regret not driving in to the game on the Saturday but still had a great weekend.
    Im going back to Bristol for two more games so at least Ive done the trip already.

The supporters village was great
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

How was Cardiff on match day Benji? had they much organized for the day for fans outside of the norm on Cardiff match day i.e. the boozer?! Im going to the France game with the young lad and trying to figure out how to put down the day as we will be there v early!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
      How was Cardiff on match day Benji? had they much organized for the day for fans outside of the norm on Cardiff match day i.e. the boozer?! Im going to the France game with the young lad and trying to figure out how to put down the day as we will be there v early!!!
      We arrived in early and went to Wagamamas for lunch and then up to the supporters village in cardiff arms park.
      It had big screens, merchandise a few ball games skills etc for a bit of entertainment. We watched the Japan match there after which was great craic while the two young lads played with their rugby balls. A bit like Heineken cup supporters village.
      I dont know did they have them when Munster were last in a final?

We also went to the Marriott and got to see some of the Irish players after the game. We had been looking for a warm place to watch the French Italy game but all seats were taken. And luckily there were a few players about.
      When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

If anybody has a room in Cardiff for the French game that they arent using I'd take it if doesnt cost an arm and a leg

Comment

We flew to Heathrow and caught the London MRSC organised bus to Cardiff. To book the Heathrow express to Paddington there's a couples discount with the code DUO12. It knocked 20 pounds off a return ticket for the 2 of us. The stipulation is that the same couple make the journey. I still don't know what kind of couple they wanted but we went as a couple of eajits
          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Driving London to Cardiff after 8 am Mass for the France/ Ire game and dreading it. Thought of driving to Didcot and getting train but can't bear queuing on foot. Can you get them to wait k.o.' til I get there?
            PAUL O'CONNELL KNOWS MY NAME, HE NEEDED IT FOR THE RESTRAINING ORDER!

Comment

hi there
              my friend and i are travelling as foot passengers over to the french game on the stena ferry out of rosslare to fishguard at 9am on saturday 10th october. he is an amputee and standing on a crowded train doesnt suit. we are heading to Swansea but Carmarthen or Cardiff will do fine as we can get trains there. wondering if anyone here is travelling over on same ferry with 2 spare seats in car. will gladly contribute to fuel and beer fund. thank you
              Last edited by yellowandblack4ever; 21st-September-2015, 17:58. Reason: bad spelling

Comment

Hi Benji,

Thanks for your informative post. I'm heading with a mate of mine to the Ireland France game.We're flying to Heathrow and are planning to get the train London-Cardiff return that Sunday. Specifically we need to catch a train to London(reading) just 10 minutes after the final whistle! To make our flight at 10.15pm that night from Heathrow!! :-)

Your account of the station and trains is making me very nervous that we'll miss our train time and hence our flight. Any advice?!

Also IF there is anybody driving back to Heathrow that evening, we'd be delighted to share a car, costs, jokes and takeaways etc. Pm me if interested.
                Thanks
                Daithi

P.s. is there a MRSC bus from& back to London that Sunday??

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                  Hi Benji,

Thanks for your informative post. I'm heading with a mate of mine to the Ireland France game.We're flying to Heathrow and are planning to get the train London-Cardiff return that Sunday. Specifically we need to catch a train to London(reading) just 10 minutes after the final whistle! To make our flight at 10.15pm that night from Heathrow!! :-)

Your account of the station and trains is making me very nervous that we'll miss our train time and hence our flight. Any advice?!

Also IF there is anybody driving back to Heathrow that evening, we'd be delighted to share a car, costs, jokes and takeaways etc. Pm me if interested.
                  Thanks
                  Daithi

Daithi, unless you are willing willing leave before end of game you wont be out of stadium in ten mins let alone on train. Also if cutting it that fine have yo allowed for how long games have been lasting. 50 min halves etc.

Might be better start looking at moving flights if that were an option. Id be nervous bout this stuff anyway but I could relax on that kind of tight schedule!!!

Comment

Daithi,
                    The trains were a disaster at the weekend. Ive seen them that bad for ireland Wales games before but i thought with so much away support it would have been better. Maybe some busses to Swansea, Bristol or Newport would have helped.
                    Very tough on those with kids.
                    Getting trains out will be difficult. Does your airline insurance cover an wannabee star TMO?

I think try and get on the Munster bus back to London. Traffic can be busy and was delayed last weekend earlier in the evening sfter crash in the tunnel.

Goodluck . Maybe people can pool together

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                      We flew to Heathrow and caught the London MRSC organised bus to Cardiff. To book the Heathrow express to Paddington there's a couples discount with the code DUO12. It knocked 20 pounds off a return ticket for the 2 of us. The stipulation is that the same couple make the journey. I still don't know what kind of couple they wanted but we went as a couple of eajits
                      I think anything goes just as long as one is bigger than the other.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                        Hi Benji,

Thanks
                        Daithi

Daithi, here fir London MRSC http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/2...52#post1524752

You'll have to move flights. There isn't a hope you'll make it. Bus from Hammersmith to Cardiff on the bus took 4 hours with crashes. We took first London MRSC bus out of Cardiff at 6pm and we walked out of stadium at 4.45pm. we were in hammersmith for 9pm. 20 minutes tube to paddington the Heathrow express from there. the express isnt every 15 minutes at that hour.

Comment

Thanks Benji, Bobbin & Booboo, (are ye guys related by any chance )

I think I'm smoked, as it seems I've overestimated the efficiency of British rail services...I know how could I!?

On the assumption that a car won't be that much quicker than the mrsc bus, I'd say we'll have to try change our flights , which should be fun, in a dentist, root canal surgery kind of way (
                          Last edited by Daithi; 21st-September-2015, 20:14.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

No relation! If it helps or makes budget easier when changing flights, We stayed in the easy(easy jet) hotel in Heathrow. perfect pod room. quiet and 2 mins to airport. 40 quid for the night. Shuttle with national express 5 quid each from H1/H8 bus stand outside terminal 2.

Comment

Benji,
                              depending where your travelling from, I got a room in Stradey Park Hotel Llanelli for £100 b&b. Not too far out from Cardiff and reasonable cost compared with other places I've seen.
                              Mumha Abu

Comment

Working...
                              X