Gordon D'Arcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon D'Arcy

Has this great servant of Irish rugby now slipped quietly into retirement? If so I feel sad that he was given no farewell worthy of his contributions to Irish and Leinster rugby. Although time waits not, and it had its effect on Gordon over the last few years, he is and always will be one of the Greats of Irish Rugby. An unassuming and incredibly talented man, seemingly modest but by no means a shrinking violet, I hope he gets some recognition and gratitude for what he did and accomplished.
    As a Munsterman I take this opportunity to salute you Gordon D'Arcy, and as an Irishman I thank you.

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
    Has this great servant of Irish rugby now slipped quietly into retirement? If so I feel sad that he was given no farewell worthy of his contributions to Irish and Leinster rugby. Although time waits not, and it had its effect on Gordon over the last few years, he is and always will be one of the Greats of Irish Rugby. An unassuming and incredibly talented man, seemingly modest but by no means a shrinking violet, I hope he gets some recognition and gratitude for what he did and accomplished.
    As a Munsterman I take this opportunity to salute you Gordon D'Arcy, and as an Irishman I thank you.
    Agree 100%. For every player that gets to go out in a blaze of glory and on their terms like Brian O'Driscoll, there are those like D'Arcy and our own Marcus Horan amongst others that slip away relatively quietly.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post
      +1.
      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Afaik, he's available to play for Leinster until Oct., whether he does is another matter, still, a great servant to Irish rugby, longest serving Irish player ever, overtook Mike Gibson earlier this year
        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

He's not in the Leinster 23 this weekend - why not? If he's acting as a standby 12 for Joe you would think he needs games.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Hope he gets a decent send-off at some point in any case
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
              He's not in the Leinster 23 this weekend - why not? If he's acting as a standby 12 for Joe you would think he needs games.
              Still named in their squad for the season http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/res...first_team.php

Comment

Today's Irish Times has written his epitaph.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...tion-1.2340428
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post

For once I'll happily indulge or even enjoy Commiskeys penchant for fawning all over players/ coach.

D'Arcy deserves it and deserves a nice piece written in recognition of his fine career and the excellent player he was. Ireland were lucky to have him.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post

It's a very nice article, poignant. Fair play to Cummiskey

Comment

Seems to say he's played his last game, if so, he's certainly nothing left to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                        Seems to say he's played his last game, if so, he's certainly nothing left to prove.
                        It seems so. Felt quite emotional reading the article - there's something highly admirable yet sad about Darce going hell for leather this summer trying to make the RWC squad but coming up short then retiring. He could have taken the easier route and retired 6 months ago. Have a huge amount of respect for the guy

Comment

Cullen hopes there's one last game for him

http://www.the42.ie/gordon-darcy-ire...omment-4201007

Comment

Column in the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...-cup-1.2344843

Comment

Decent first article. This line stood out for me a bit though:
                              "If we get everything going for us against them and win our pool, we can make the final. If not, then it’s a quarter-final exit."
                              Some might say that's simply being realistic, and for a supporter that's fair enough. But I think the second sentence there is somewhat negative coming from someone who had aspirations of being in the squad for this tournament. I hope it's not reflective of a widespread attitude within the camp.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X