Irish Sevens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neill_m View Post

One side gets an automatic spot. 2nd and 3rd go forward to the final qualifier in 2020 along with 2nd and 3rd from the other regional qualifying events.

Olympic 7s:

Hosts: Japan
    World Series: Fiji, USA, NZ and SA
    South America Qualifying: Argentina (2nd and 3rd Brazil and Chile)
    North America Qualifying: Canada (2nd and 3rd Jamaica and Mexico)
    Europe Qualifying: 1 side TBD
    Oceania Qualifying: 1 side TBD
    Africa Qualifying: 1 side TBD
    Asia Qualifying: 1 side TBD
    Final Qualifying: 1 side TBD
    Japan getting through as hosts to an Olympics makes no sense to me ! . . . to a world cup yes, but not the Olympics where there are so many other sports and only 12 qualifiers. So, I went to compare this to other team sports . . . and yes they have automatically qualified as hosts for both Mens and Womens : Rugby, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball (where they are ranked 48th in the world !), Olympic handball (ranked 40th), Water Polo (at least they're 13th here).

I guess it's just the way it is . . . and I'll be fine with it as long as Ireland qualify too :-)

Comment

Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Japan getting through as hosts to an Olympics makes no sense to me ! . . . to a world cup yes, but not the Olympics where there are so many other sports and only 12 qualifiers. So, I went to compare this to other team sports . . . and yes they have automatically qualified as hosts for both Mens and Womens : Rugby, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball (where they are ranked 48th in the world !), Olympic handball (ranked 40th), Water Polo (at least they're 13th here).

I guess it's just the way it is . . . and I'll be fine with it as long as Ireland qualify too :-)
      Hosts qualifying is no big deal really, and helps to create more buzz around the tournament.

The issue here is only 12 qualifiers. Quite a lot of good sevens teams these days, from all over the world, so it’s a shame so few get to go. Not sure why they can’t include more, when each World Series event manages to include 15 regular participants, plus another invitational side or two, and is played off over a single weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Hosts qualifying is no big deal really, and helps to create more buzz around the tournament.

The issue here is only 12 qualifiers. Quite a lot of good sevens teams these days, from all over the world, so it’s a shame so few get to go. Not sure why they can’t include more, when each World Series event manages to include 15 regular participants, plus another invitational side or two, and is played off over a single weekend.
        Pretty sure there's an agreed maximum number of athletes across all sports that can be accommodated at the Olympics. That's why it's only 12 rather than 16 teams.

Comment

Two very solid results so far against Russia and Ukraine, both c50- small score, Spain have had similar results and as up next.

Comment

Women lost against Spain and play England in the QF tomorrow.

If they win that one they will come up against France in the semi.

Lose against France and they will have to beat Spain or Russia to get to the repecharge.

Comment

17 all draw against Spain. Pretty good comeback after being 17-0 down at the break.
              Has Fineen put Johnny down yet?

Comment

We play Germany in the QF.

Win that and it will be France in the Semis.

Spain and England will be the semi finalists in the other half of the draw.

So need to win 3 games tomorrow to go directly to Tokyo.

Win 2 games tomorrow (be it Germany and France or Germany and the loser of the Spain/England game) and we are in the repechage.

Comment

The game against Spain was sincerely bad. We slept in the first half, were much better and engaged in the second, but once more time, we chose the false direction as we we had the match ball.
                  Anyway, England or France, even at home, in the semi, that's six of one and half a dozen for the other.
                  "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Women out lost to England in the QF

Comment

Spain out, lost 5-14 to Portugal. Very poor result for Spain
                      Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Ireland 21-0 Germany. Next game is France in the semis
                        Good things happen to those who wait, though mostly much too late.

Comment

Originally posted by ephileth View Post
                          Ireland 21-0 Germany. Next game is France in the semis
                          What time is that game on epileth?

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post

What time is that game on epileth?
                            13:59 kick off

The French will have had an extra hours rest as they played in the 1st QF and we were in the last QF

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

19/12 to France, hard luck Ireland.

Comment

Working...
                                X