Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Sevens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Semi final and final


    Last edited by rathbaner; 7th-April-2019, 12:39.
    Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

    Comment


      Great to be on world series. We've invitational spot for last 2 rounds of this years world series and then have summer european series ahead of next year.
      Wonder will anything change in how we assess players in development system now we're on world series?

      Comment


        Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
        Semi final and final


        Thanks for link.
        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

        Originally Posted by mr chips
        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

        Comment


          Almost all players from the pale

          But.....Out half from Munster looked good and the star man himself is from Connacht
          ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

          Originally Posted by mr chips
          AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

          Comment


            Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
            Great to be on world series. We've invitational spot for last 2 rounds of this years world series and then have summer european series ahead of next year.
            Wonder will anything change in how we assess players in development system now we're on world series?
            Players will probably be assessed in the same way but with more income from the 7s side of things then the likes of Daly or Nash in future might be more likely to stay with that squad for a couple of years, I.e. The players themselves will chose different development paths. I think that is a good thing personally though I know some have concerns with talent being diverted/spread too thinly.

            Comment


              Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

              Players will probably be assessed in the same way but with more income from the 7s side of things then the likes of Daly or Nash in future might be more likely to stay with that squad for a couple of years, I.e. The players themselves will chose different development paths. I think that is a good thing personally though I know some have concerns with talent being diverted/spread too thinly.
              It's a challenge for us in that 7's tends to utilise players that we don't naturally produce in great numbers - extremely quick broken field runners.

              They're not as rare as they were, but I'd imagine if a player is capable and skilled and has that level of pace he'll be in demand at provincial level. Like, I don't understand the situation with Jordan Conroy at Connacht at all. He's 25, clearly a gifted athlete, and hasn't played higher than B&I.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

              "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


              "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

              Comment


                Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

                It's a challenge for us in that 7's tends to utilise players that we don't naturally produce in great numbers - extremely quick broken field runners.

                They're not as rare as they were, but I'd imagine if a player is capable and skilled and has that level of pace he'll be in demand at provincial level. Like, I don't understand the situation with Jordan Conroy at Connacht at all. He's 25, clearly a gifted athlete, and hasn't played higher than B&I.
                Pro rugby is physically demanding. We can sit on the sidelines and gripe about missed tackles but they are throwing themselves into machines travelling at high speed. Not everyone can physically cope no matter how good an athlete they are. McNulty and Kennedy both look like very useful footballers in the sevens games, at Pro14 they could well make Noel Reid look like Chris Farrell or Stu McCloskey in terms of defense.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

                  Pro rugby is physically demanding. We can sit on the sidelines and gripe about missed tackles but they are throwing themselves into machines travelling at high speed. Not everyone can physically cope no matter how good an athlete they are. McNulty and Kennedy both look like very useful footballers in the sevens games, at Pro14 they could well make Noel Reid look like Chris Farrell or Stu McCloskey in terms of defense.
                  Fair point, sure you see it yourself at amateur level. Flyer on the wing can have their influence on the game nullified. Up the ante for Pro 14.

                  Comment


                    Conroy is seriously quick but I’d say if he bulked up as much as he’d need to to play Pro14/HEC he’d lose some of that pace.

                    Some lads play 7s as they come through and then move on, some find they’re just not suited to 15-a-side and become specialists. Now that Ireland has reached the top level those lads have a career path within the game.

                    Next mission for the IRFU is to bring the World Series to Dublin. Could be a serious money spinner.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

                      It's a challenge for us in that 7's tends to utilise players that we don't naturally produce in great numbers - extremely quick broken field runners.

                      They're not as rare as they were, but I'd imagine if a player is capable and skilled and has that level of pace he'll be in demand at provincial level. Like, I don't understand the situation with Jordan Conroy at Connacht at all. He's 25, clearly a gifted athlete, and hasn't played higher than B&I.
                      Think Conroy was a fairly late convert to rugby, he was a pretty decent soccer player in his youth by all accounts.

                      https://www.the42.ie/ireland-7s-worl...84928-Apr2019/

                      Some interesting figures in that article above charting Ireland's rise from the bottom rung of the 7's ladder. IRFU spent just shy of €500k on the 7's game (mens and womens) in 2017/18. Given that both teams will now be playing in their respective world series next season (women already are this season) one can only imagine that cost will increase.

                      Mens players also only on €18k for 2018/19 and not many in the squad are fully contracted to one of the provinces either.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                        Conroy is seriously quick but I’d say if he bulked up as much as he’d need to to play Pro14/HEC he’d lose some of that pace.

                        Some lads play 7s as they come through and then move on, some find they’re just not suited to 15-a-side and become specialists. Now that Ireland has reached the top level those lads have a career path within the game.

                        Next mission for the IRFU is to bring the World Series to Dublin. Could be a serious money spinner.
                        I dont see IRFU getting world series event in Dublin. Not in world rugby interest with more events in this part of year when they can bring events to new markets/far bigger markets
                        London and Paris only european events.
                        For me. next step for IRFU is getting 7s played by more here to help find new 7s players other than those around pro set up and not able to step up to play pro rugby into medium/long term

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                          I dont see IRFU getting world series event in Dublin. Not in world rugby interest with more events in this part of year when they can bring events to new markets/far bigger markets
                          London and Paris only european events.
                          For me. next step for IRFU is getting 7s played by more here to help find new 7s players other than those around pro set up and not able to step up to play pro rugby into medium/long term
                          If you remember when they first launched the 7s program they held open days for trials. Be great to see a clubs summer league if it were to run for the month of July it would be a great start for preseason.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by LimerickRugbyFan View Post

                            If you remember when they first launched the 7s program they held open days for trials. Be great to see a clubs summer league if it were to run for the month of July it would be a great start for preseason.
                            yes they did but process for finding players in long term from clubs needs to be clarified.
                            a spring/summer league would be great especially with some clubs out of running from early on in season.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

                              Think Conroy was a fairly late convert to rugby, he was a pretty decent soccer player in his youth by all accounts.

                              https://www.the42.ie/ireland-7s-worl...84928-Apr2019/

                              Some interesting figures in that article above charting Ireland's rise from the bottom rung of the 7's ladder. IRFU spent just shy of €500k on the 7's game (mens and womens) in 2017/18. Given that both teams will now be playing in their respective world series next season (women already are this season) one can only imagine that cost will increase.

                              Mens players also only on €18k for 2018/19 and not many in the squad are fully contracted to one of the provinces either.
                              Yeah, Conroy played for Athlone Town a few times but presumably saw he could make a bit of a living out of rugby. That said, 18k would be pretty low by League of Ireland standards.

                              Comment


                                Ex-7s players Baloucoune and Daly both showing their pace and finishing ability last night for Ulster and Munster. Baloucoune’s finish was particularly impressive.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X