Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Law Changes You Would Like To See.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Law Changes You Would Like To See.

    With the WC coming up there is going to be a lot more scrutiny over the next few months regarding the nitty gritty areas of the game. You can be sure as hell that the breakdown, the scrum and issues such as concussion are going to be at the forefront of such scrutiny. What areas do you think need to be looked at or improved upon and do you have any suggestions for amendments to the Laws of the game?

    Personally I would like to see some adjustments to the scrum. These would include:

    1. Penalties awarded at scrum time to be indirect only. This would eliminate the possibility of scrums dictating the outcome of matches and prevent games from being decided by the current lottery system whereby penalties are awarded and kicked often on the basis of which side is stronger (or better at boring in).

    2. Repeated scrum infringements to be considered a collective infringement by the offending pack. As such the referee may use his discretion when sin binning a player. This would allow for the yellow carding of back rows which I believe would seriously curtail skullduggery at the set piece. It would also prevent Rule No.1 from devaluing the scrum too much.

    3. The ball to be used within three seconds once it is at the back of the scrum (excepting 5 metre scrums) regardless of whether the attacking scrum is going forward or not. Teams are often punished for conceding too much ground regardless of whether they have infringed. It would also promote the scrum as an attacking platform and a way of restarting play, which is what the set piece is for at the end of the day.

    #2
    Penalties at scrum time shouldn't be indirect only as it doesn't reward those with the technical superiority enough and doesn't aid the game
    Repeated scrum infringements shouldn't give a referee discretion to sin bin who they like. That doesn't help the game
    Your third idea doesn't reward teams with a dominant scrum.

    Comment


      #3
      Not a law change, but "hooked" line outs. You know the ones - start straight but invariably skew to the attacking team.

      Happens nearly every game nowadays and its so blatant I find myself thinking "why hasn't the ref called that" at every second lineout.

      Personally I think the scrum is OK(ish) at the moment, but we need consistency in how it is reffed. The French refs, in particular, seem to be reading different rules.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

      Comment


        #4
        Scrum is ok as long as Poite isn't the ref.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Viigand View Post
          Scrum is ok as long as Poite isn't the ref.
          Or Barnes, or an Australian
          I am the million man.

          Comment


            #6
            I'd like to see any player asking for a yellow card to be given against an opponent to be sanctioned with at least a free kick against him, maybe even a penalty.
            Tis but a scratch.

            Comment


              #7
              I'm probably alone on this but I reckon Poites officiating has improved a lot this season. Have even seen him pinging scrums on the 'front foot'....a huge step for him.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                Not a law change, but "hooked" line outs. You know the ones - start straight but invariably skew to the attacking team.

                Happens nearly every game nowadays and its so blatant I find myself thinking "why hasn't the ref called that" at every second lineout.

                Personally I think the scrum is OK(ish) at the moment, but we need consistency in how it is reffed. The French refs, in particular, seem to be reading different rules.
                Unless blatantly not straight its easier to let them off as if you went by the book you would be calling most lineouts as not straight and as majority of time the team elects for a scrum and not a lineout as award for a not straight lineout you would have much more scrums.

                Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                I'd like to see any player asking for a yellow card to be given against an opponent to be sanctioned with at least a free kick against him, maybe even a penalty.
                No change required as OP intended its just Up to referees to do it more. Its in the laws book 10.4(m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  I'd like to see any player asking for a yellow card to be given against an opponent to be sanctioned with at least a free kick against him, maybe even a penalty.
                  Not just for yellow card requests. There are too many players in the refs ears these days. The captain should be the one doing the talking/protesting.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ban coloured boots. Black boots only.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      No box kicks, no chip and chase kicks in your own half
                      Stand up and fight

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by sparks View Post
                        No box kicks, no chip and chase kicks in your own half
                        Are these your hoped-for law changes, or your hoped-for tactical changes for Munster?
                        Tis but a scratch.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                          Not just for yellow card requests. There are too many players in the refs ears these days. The captain should be the one doing the talking/protesting.
                          Yep. Toulon may have a problem with that for the next couple of seasons - I'm sure M. Poite is really looking forward to reffing them!
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Yellow card and penalty reversal for any scrum half who taps a penno and runs straight into an opposing player trying to retreat.

                            Yellow card and a penalty reversal for players holding an opponent on the ground so s/he cannot roll away.

                            Automatic yellow card for Richie McCaw every time that he starts a game or comes on as a sub.
                            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                              Yellow card and a penalty reversal for players holding an opponent on the ground so s/he cannot roll away.
                              Ah - I always though Nathan Hines had another year in him, nice of you to give him fair warning.
                              The system is dead! Long live the process!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X