Tiblisi Cup - World Cup prep and new talent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiblisi Cup - World Cup prep and new talent

With Ireland taking part in the Tiblisi Cup should this be all about World Cup 2015 or also about world cup 2019 preparation. With the U20's in their RWC who do you think should go to Tiblisi - I think it should be a mix and match. Guys coming back from injury/lack of gametime who could go to RWC 2015 and then young talent

Dennis Buckley, James Cronin
    Rob Herring, Duncan Casey
    Tadhg Furlong, Rodney Ah You/John Ryan
    Mick Kearney, Dave Foley, Donnacha Ryan, Dan Tuohy
    Rhys Ruddock, Heenan
    Chris Henry, Josh van Flier
    Eoin McKeown, Jack O'Donghue
    Kieran Marmian, JP Cooney
    JJ Hanrahan, Paddy Jackson
    Dave Kearney, Matt Healy
    Stuart McCloskey, Luke Marshall
    Keith Earls, Darren Cave
    Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy

Players like Furlong/Ah You/Ryan fighting for 3rd spot in RWC, Foley/Ryan/Tuohy fighting for 4th spot in RWC, Ruddock/Henry/Trimble/Earls/Kearney/Ryan etc all coming back from injury and playing the Irish system

Would probably leave Earls at home TBH. He's already showing good enough form to be picked for the RWC and he's managing a chronic injury. No point in risking him in this competition.

Keatley and Jackson would be my choices for the 10 spot. Give them both at least one start each. By moving to England, JJ has effectively ruled himself out of selection until he really shines and/or he comes home. That's the policy and rightly so imho.

Comment

How good are the standard of teams in this
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
        How good are the standard of teams in this
        They have been A team from other teams so not the greatest.

In Joe We Trust I imagine you mean John not JP Cooney as cant see JP playing scrumhalf....

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          They have been A team from other teams so not the greatest.

In Joe We Trust I imagine you mean John not JP Cooney as cant see JP playing scrumhalf....
          Hence why I wonder why Ireland bother with it
          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Part of an agreement to help develop the European Nations Cup teams . The test against Georgia in November also part of this . IRFU stepping up , good to see .

Comment

We can look at players just outside test level in an international set up of some kind. We can help the next tier of nations try make step up etc etc

Comment

I assume this doesn't clash with the warm-up games?? If it doesn't then I'd agree with a mix of youth with an eye to the next World Cup and the boys who need game time to be in the running for the upcoming one.

Would agree with a lot of the squad above, likes of Conan, Leader, and tbh I can't think of too many others, I remember Diack on it last time around but I think he's too far off the squad and not young enough for the next World Cup so probably not worth a look, same could be said for Wilson?

Any Munster backs on the fringes worth looking at?

Also, and apologies of this is on another thread, but what's the story with lads playing abroad? If they're performing regularly do they get a look in for this kind of tournament or is it a case that you have to be playing here? I'm thinking lads like Whitten in Exeter other lads in France and the Premiership

Comment

Originally posted by FinnoFC View Post
                  I assume this doesn't clash with the warm-up games?? If it doesn't then I'd agree with a mix of youth with an eye to the next World Cup and the boys who need game time to be in the running for the upcoming one.

Would agree with a lot of the squad above, likes of Conan, Leader, and tbh I can't think of too many others, I remember Diack on it last time around but I think he's too far off the squad and not young enough for the next World Cup so probably not worth a look, same could be said for Wilson?

Any Munster backs on the fringes worth looking at?

Also, and apologies of this is on another thread, but what's the story with lads playing abroad? If they're performing regularly do they get a look in for this kind of tournament or is it a case that you have to be playing here? I'm thinking lads like Whitten in Exeter other lads in France and the Premiership
                  This is in June like previous years when this in on same time as senior sides summer internationals. Some of the guys playing abroad will get a look in. Certainly don't have to be playing here to be picked

Comment

Working...
                  X