Respect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respect

Interesting, from Nigel Owens there is a piece on RTE website how soccer/footballs lack of respect by players for officials and themselves is getting out of hand.
    I agree totally, too much bullying of refs by players and the games administrators need to take a firm hand to sort it out.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Respect for referees in rugby isn't some inherent thing - it's the power of the sin bin. If that didn't exist, there'd be a much different culture in rugby. Not sure such a thing would be workable in football as temporarily losing a player isn't as debilitating an event.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
      Respect for referees in rugby isn't some inherent thing - it's the power of the sin bin. If that didn't exist, there'd be a much different culture in rugby. Not sure such a thing would be workable in football as temporarily losing a player isn't as debilitating an event.
      cant agree with that. Not sure what age you are but the sin bin hasn't been around forever, the culture of respect has. I think one of the big things from a young age is that the ref actually engages with the teams before KO. Studs are checked, quick chat with captains, instructions to front rows and scrum halves and good luck and enjoy it lads. IMO the ref us preparing for game with you, this breaks ice and helps build a rapport, ref is part of the game not just the watchdog

Comment

Long before the sin bin there were other sanctions that still exist, and I'd like to see used more. You very rarely see a team marched back ten yards for dissent or whatever, and I'm not sure that's because no dissent happens.

But I do think there's more courtesy and respect for refs, as there also is for opponents. It is in the culture of the game, and something rugby people are rightly proud of.

It's also a form of discipline, as you say, enforced by sanction. You're never popular with your team mates if you get a penalty reversed or cough up yards because you can't keep your mouth shut.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Easy, let the goalkeeper take sanctons.
          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

While the piece is good, I am getting quite tired of Nigel being in the media so often. Is it,s not for articles such as this, it,s having a pop at airlines via twitter, or it seems trying to find a witty comment for the cameras in every game, or promoting his speaking engagements/comedy routine. He,s becoming a cartoon character almost.

Comment

Here's the article, from http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/...occer-respect/

Rugby referee Nigel Owens says that soccer must address the lack of respect shown on the field to the officials and between the players themselves. Recent controversies in the English Premier League and Champions League have brought the issue to the fore, with scenes of players surrounding and hounding officials, and incidents of players trying to con referees becoming more commonplace.
                Owens, who refereed the final Six Nations game between England and France, told RTÉ Sport: “I think that’s one issue that soccer needs to address. The respect that the players have for each other on the field and the respect that they show the officials as well.
                “It’s not acceptable really, because football, more than any other sport in the world, has a bigger influence on society and everyday life and young children’s lives, in looking up to their heroes, and it has the duty to show that [respect].
                “Rugby can’t take the moral high-ground because we’ve got things that we need to improve on as well. Certainly the respect in rugby is there and it needs to be maintained and kept, [it’s] an integral part of the whole game. There’s no doubt about that."
                He added: “We’ve seen the odd occasion over the last 18 months where we've seen a few players trying to buy a penalty or take a dive but I think what rugby does is, and all credit to the governing bodies, when these incidents do come along they deal with it firmly and fairly and we stamp it out and that’s one of the important things.
                “We can’t lose the respect for each other. “Society today is lacking one important thing, respect, and the same goes for sport as well.
                “Rugby is the type of sport where you can’t continue with the physical game, [with] how hard it is out there if you don’t have mutual respect for each other.
                “The players on the field, the fans as well are mixed in the stadiums, that respect has to be there and the respect for the officials as well.
                “Rugby has that core value and it’s important that rugby maintains that.”
                Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                  Interesting, from Nigel Owens there is a piece on RTE website how soccer/footballs lack of respect by players for officials and themselves is getting out of hand.
                  I agree totally, too much bullying of refs by players and the games administrators need to take a firm hand to sort it out.
                  It's creeping into rugby too. Nowhere near the same extent as football yet but it needs to be stamped down pretty quickly. The amount of shouting at the ref for decisions that gets picked up on the ref mic is definitely increasing, some of our own players the worst culprits.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post
                    It's creeping into rugby too. Nowhere near the same extent as football yet but it needs to be stamped down pretty quickly. The amount of shouting at the ref for decisions that gets picked up on the ref mic is definitely increasing, some of our own players the worst culprits.
                    GAA football? American football? Aussie football? Or do you mean soccer? (Association football)
                    Here I was thinking Rugby IS football too ;-)
                    Last edited by No. 16; 24th-March-2015, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post
                      While the piece is good, I am getting quite tired of Nigel being in the media so often. Is it,s not for articles such as this, it,s having a pop at airlines via twitter, or it seems trying to find a witty comment for the cameras in every game, or promoting his speaking engagements/comedy routine. He,s becoming a cartoon character almost.
                      He's still performing very very well as a ref so I don't care what else he gets up to in his spare time. He's a good ambassador for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
                        cant agree with that. Not sure what age you are but the sin bin hasn't been around forever, the culture of respect has. I think one of the big things from a young age is that the ref actually engages with the teams before KO. Studs are checked, quick chat with captains, instructions to front rows and scrum halves and good luck and enjoy it lads. IMO the ref us preparing for game with you, this breaks ice and helps build a rapport, ref is part of the game not just the watchdog
                        The culture of respect was around in the same sports that now lack respect before those sports became massive. You didn't see soccer players surrounding referees 50 years ago. All of the things you mention happen in most sports.

Comment

he had a terrible game last, but i think hes a top lad and i want to hear more from him. However if referees behave like Hodges then the respect that we were all indoctrinated with from an early age will soon disappear from some. Hartley is a bad example and calling Barnes a cheat got him a sanction....i doubt that thought has only ever been in Hartleys head though. Refs need to improve. Nige too. He was awful in our Clermont semi and when the best ref in the world has consistent "off days" you do wonder if we're watching referreing or facilitation
                          So I walked as day was dawning
                          Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
                          Where we once watched the row boats landing
                          By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

The culture of respect was around in the same sports that now lack respect before those sports became massive. You didn't see soccer players surrounding referees 50 years ago. All of the things you mention happen in most sports.
                            I played GAA for 20 years and do not recall a referee ever once engaging with us prior to a game. Not once.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
                              I played GAA for 20 years and do not recall a referee ever once engaging with us prior to a game. Not once.
                              Must be a GAA thing then.

Comment

Working...
                              X