RTE Rugby panel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTE Rugby panel

After leaving it for a few hours to calm down, I just need to let off a bit of steam now, so here goes.
    It was a bad day today for the team and its good that we got that wake up call ahead of the World cup.

We all know what Hook is like, the Dunphy of the rugby panel, but I have to say that he did make some good points today, before and after the match. He was extremely quiet on the panel, but then how can anyone get a word in with motormouth Horgan rabbiting on all the time and constantly interrupting anyone else who wants to express an opinion. Horgans Leinster bias is becoming an issue, especially when he is constantly defending sexton, heaslip and kearney, especially when they are having bad games. When Hook said before the match that the Welsh backs were being underestimated, Horgan indicated the Irish were just as good. Did he really think that Roberts and Davies were on the same level as Henshaw and Payne? When after the match Hook said that our World class number 10 did not run the game as he should have, Horgan nearly went into overdrive and completely changed the subject. If he hasnt got the balls to tell it as it is, then he should be removed. I will certainly switch stations so that I can hear ex players be honest about players and teams performance.

Who do you switch to though? For all its bad points - McGurk and Hook in particular - RTE is far better than the alternatives.

Hook does make the occasional good point (e.g. "bruisers" today), but he's generally not an insightful analyst. The only thing I've learned about the game from him is what it was like to play rugby 50 years ago. His unwarranted negativity is tiresome, but he appears to relish it.

Horgan is clearly not going to antagonize his mates, but he's an improvement on Hook.

Comment

Move to bbc. There are no ads and no Ryle Nugent or George Hook.
      I am the million man.

Comment

Jeremy Guscott, Inverdale, Davies and Wood?

Comment

Originally posted by Vengeful Glutton View Post
          But none of them shouting over each other, and none of them telling us about Genghis Kahn, or Hannibal, or droning on about how superrrrrr sexton is or how much Joe imparted onto the Leinster players.

Plus IMO Gabby Logan is the best looking thing in any of the 6 nations studios.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Guscott is a twat and Inverdale a bias English dope but the rest are fine and they have Woodward who actually has a clue and Brian Moore who can be good when he isnt insufferable about England.
            "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              But none of them shouting over each other, and none of them telling us about Genghis Kahn, or Hannibal, or droning on about how superrrrrr sexton is or how much Joe imparted onto the Leinster players.

Plus IMO Gabby Logan is the best looking thing in any of the 6 nations studios.
              lol.....yes, the history lessons can be amusing!

It is unfortunate that there's an awful lot of talking over one on RTE - it's mostly McGurk and Hook. There are some good panelists, O'Shea, Jackman, ROG, and the guy who presents ATH - Dara something.

Get rid of Hook and McGurk, replace Horgan with Jackman/AN Other, and the analysis/discussion would improve immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bash View Post
                Guscott is a twat and Inverdale a bias English dope but the rest are fine and they have Woodward who actually has a clue and Brian Moore who can be good when he isnt insufferable about England.
                Agree on Lord Bald, and his retainer Sir Cueball. Both are good, but unfortunately the others ruin it for me.

Comment

I haven't watched any RTE "analysis" of games in years. Very easy to put on one of the radio stations covering it instead.
                  "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

lol.....yes, the history lessons can be amusing!

It is unfortunate that there's an awful lot of talking over one on RTE - it's mostly McGurk and Hook. There are some good panelists, O'Shea, Jackman, ROG, and the guy who presents ATH - Dara something.

Get rid of Hook and McGurk, replace Horgan with Jackman/AN Other, and the analysis/discussion would improve immensely.
                    That's the crux of it for me, they just start shouting over each other and nobody gets anything constructive or insightful said.

If i wanted to listen to doddering old opinionated ****ing eejits roaring over each other id just go to the pub.

There's the basis of a good buildup if it wasn't a Montrose love in, where nobody ever gets dropped.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                      That's the crux of it for me, they just start shouting over each other and nobody gets anything constructive or insightful said.

If i wanted to listen to doddering old opinionated ****ing eejits roaring over each other id just go to the pub.

There's the basis of a good buildup if it wasn't a Montrose love in, where nobody ever gets dropped.
                      Yeh, but I know what you mean. It's a curate's egg, and I don't think it'll change. Even when Hook and McGurk are gone, we'll still have to put up with tiresome punditry.

Comment

Agree with most here.
                        I haven't watched a game on RTE in years.

I mightn't like all of the commentators or analysts on BBC but bar Inverdale, At least I can respect most of them.

At one stage today, I flicked over to RTE for the first time this year, listened to 15 seconds of Horgan and flicked back over.
                        They're both HD but I also think the picture seems better on BBC?

Comment

Not sure if Horgan is entirely Leinster centric, he has no problem criticising the likes of Madigan but he certainly has a very strong bias towards certain Leinster players like Sexton, Heaslip, Reddan and SOB.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                            Not sure if Horgan is entirely Leinster centric, he has no problem criticising the likes of Madigan but he certainly has a very strong bias towards certain Leinster players like Sexton, Heaslip, Reddan and SOB.
                            It's definitely not the guys he played with...

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                              Well he's not gone to town on them, like Hook would like to, but he has criticised them.

Since he became a pundit SOB and Reddan have barely played but he has criticised Sexton at times. Certainly when Thornley was making up silly excuses Horgan said he was wrong and that they were basic mistakes

Comment

Working...
                              X