Wales v Ireland Friday Night 10th March 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wales v Ireland Friday Night 10th March 2017

The fixtures for 2016 and 2017 were announced last night and the abomination that I have been fearing has come to pass.

Ireland must play Wales in Cardiff on Friday evening the 10th of Match.

Do the Cardiff Hotelliers realise what will happen?

Only one night gouging the Irish Supporters instead of two.

From the Supporters' viewpoint, if one wants to make it a "two nighter" as previously, two days work must be missed.

If you wanna have your friends round to watch a game on a Friday night you can?

The millions who watch on the TV getting a better end of the stick than the 10s of thousands of travelling over for the game from here?
    I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
      If you wanna have your friends round to watch a game on a Friday night you can?

The millions who watch on the TV getting a better end of the stick than the 10s of thousands of travelling over for the game from here?

"The millions who watch on the TV" will watch it no matter when it's on.

I can't see for whose benefit this change has been made.

The Under 20 matches will now clash with the other senior matches on the Saturday.

This is fine for Wales v England where the English fans can travel relatively easily to Cardiff.

If Friday night matches are wrong for Munster home matches, and they are, then they are equally wrong for Ireland away matches.

Comment

It's the millions who watch it on tv it's being moved to the Friday for though surely? Does the massive tv audience not take precedence over the coupla thousand who actually travel to Cardiff or the few hundred who attend a 20's match
        I am the million man.

Comment

I dunno . . . .my own experience of visiting Cardiff is that I only stayed there one night anyway . . .or didn't stay there at all . . .I've commuted from London and back in one day a few times for Munster and Ireland games. . ..by car and rail.

Do that many actually stay in Cardiff for 2 nights?

Comment

It's the millions who watch it on tv it's being moved to the Friday for though surely? Does the massive tv audience not take precedence over the coupla thousand who actually travel to Cardiff or the few hundred who attend a 20's match
            No, Cowboy, it is being moved to the Friday because the BBC want it moved. They have spared no effort to "big it up" since it was introduced a few years ago.

The "massive TV audience" as you call it would be just as massive on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post

Do that many actually stay in Cardiff for 2 nights?
              You'd hardly make that effort for just the one night.

I have travelled since 1989. Every time, over on the 9:30 from Rosslare on Friday and back on the 14:30 on Sunday. There were two exceptions. 1999 when the Millennium was under construction and 2007(?) when the match was on Sunday and we went on Saturday and back on Monday. (Cardiff was like a Morgue on Sunday night that year.)

Every time the Ferry was jammed. There were a lot of the same faces on each sailing. That would indicate that there were a lot of two-nighters.

In 1999 we went to Edinburgh. We'll probably do the same again in '17 or maybe Rome.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                You'd hardly make that effort for just the one night.

I have travelled since 1989. Every time, over on the 9:30 from Rosslare on Friday and back on the 14:30 on Sunday. There were two exceptions. 1999 when the Millennium was under construction and 2007(?) when the match was on Sunday and we went on Saturday and back on Monday. (Cardiff was like a Morgue on Sunday night that year.)

Every time the Ferry was jammed. There were a lot of the same faces on each sailing. That would indicate that there were a lot of two-nighters.

In 1999 we went to Edinburgh. We'll probably do the same again in '17 or maybe Rome.
                Wouldn't be a mad fan of Cardiff myself so I wouldn't stay but I can see what you are saying.

The upside, if there is one, to the schedule is that Friday nights are rather useless. It will be great to sit back after a nice dinner tomorrow evening, with a tasty beverage, and watch a top level game of Rugby.

Saturday and more particularly Sunday afternoons can put alot of strain on folks to see games . . .family commitments, club games etc etc

I can see your point indeed, but I can see the benefit too.

TV calls the shots due to €€€€€ and Friday does suit a TV audience.

Comment

So it's disappointing you Piquet because you always go, but is it not fair to say that you are in a minuscule minority in the entire rugby fraternity who will watch or attend this game?

Given its two years away is that not enough time to plan arrangements to attend?

Tbh it wouldn't really upset me even if I was going in 2017. Plenty time to prep travel arrangements
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                    Wouldn't be a mad fan of Cardiff myself so I wouldn't stay but I can see what you are saying.

The upside, if there is one, to the schedule is that Friday nights are rather useless. It will be great to sit back after a nice dinner tomorrow evening, with a tasty beverage, and watch a top level game of Rugby.

Saturday and more particularly Sunday afternoons can put alot of strain on folks to see games . . .family commitments, club games etc etc

I can see your point indeed, but I can see the benefit too.

TV calls the shots due to €€€€€ and Friday does suit a TV audience.
                    Precisely. Tomorrow night is the best Friday night tv in months! Weeks work done, sit down and enjoy a great test match.
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Precisely. Tomorrow night is the best Friday night tv in months! Weeks work done, sit down and enjoy a great test match.

It will, its going to be a cracking game!!!

If its even half as good as Irl V Eng last year it will be great . . . . .

Comment

Making the arrangements isn't the problem. A lot of people, myself included, who travel to matches, go the day before the match and come home the day after. With the game on Saturday, one goes on Friday and back on Sunday (or Sat-Mon, if the game is on Sunday) One day off work. Reasonably easily justifiable

If the game is on Friday night, it will be very difficult to justify to one's Boss (as distinct from one's Employer) travelling on Thursday morning. If one travels on Friday, it will be similarly difficult to justify staying over 'till Sunday.

As I said above, out Friday and back Saturday does nowt for me. It'll be Rome or Edinburgh that year for me.

Comment

the locals will have had a few sherbets by kickoff so id say the ground will be bouncing. As a tv viewer, would one prefer this game on a Friday night or a Sunday lunchtime?

no contest imo
                          I am the million man.

Comment

just looked up the Holiday Inn prices for this weekend. Tomorrow night £454 per room, no surprise there. Saturday night, £109 per room, back to their standard rate.

The hostelries in Cardiff will lose a fortune on the paddies only being there for one night.

Comment

Go to Rome Piquet, go to Rome.
                              "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

Working...
                              X