So how will Ireland do in the 2015 6N?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how will Ireland do in the 2015 6N?

Has any coach for ireland baffled and amazed in equal measure as much as Joe has? Can we achieve a back to back this spring and will we expand our gameplan away from 'contestables' and ruck resourcing?

What lifted the trophy last season was a very very precise series of abilities performed to perfection. Schmidt appears to be the king of 1%'ers, he wants the parts of game the players can control to be utterly immaculate. Peerless clear out, world class kicking, fearsome scrummaging, immense tackling and non stop workrate. It makes a giant amount of sense because our latent skills and handling wouldn't be in the top5 teams globally. He has been working on the stuff that is achievable every single game, not the aspirational.

The question arises for this campaign though, can we do it again? Are we able to get over the hump in Rome and get key men back into jersies before Eng and Fra? & crucially have qe given the other 5 nations 10 months for their video analysts to break down our game and work out how to stop the irish from getting over the gainline?

If I can dig out the gif, there is one of Trimble scoring a frankly incredible try in paris(I think) last year which was Joe-ball in a nutshell, inside switches, dummy runners and the best clearing out and presentation of quick ball you'll see. Ireland have power plays, they revolve around Murr and Johnny, and keeping the ball fresh and fast. We've looked more NFL than RWC in some clearing beyond the ball.

Even mauls under this regime are clever, such as the try versus South Africa.

How will we do? second season syndrome, or onwards to unprecedented success? and why can't I shake the feeling we may come unstuck this time around? We are the bookies favourites, but only barely.

Deccie managed an ambush in year 1, Schmidt left many other coaches scratching their heads and womdering what had just happened? will it be more of the same?

How will we do?
    I am the million man.

Very hard to say.

If we can overcome Italy with our injuries and we get key players back through the series we can do well.

The scrum needs to hold though and we need an answer for England too this year.

Comment

the beating of Wales and the loss to England were both predicated on the same issue imo: what can you do with the ball?

We belted the ball to Wales back 3 and pressed them inside their own 10m line and made huge gains on the scoreboard. But england did the exact same to us in london! they gave us ball and said see what you can do boys? our D is stronger than your offence.

We will need more offloads and linebreaks I reckon
      I am the million man.

Comment

I think Ireland will go well, tbh. As you say, all of their coaching is based on the achievable goals and maximising what you've got rather than chasing the aspirational. I think the way the draw is Ireland will actually win the GS , or maybe end up 2nd-3rd with one loss. Other favoured sides likely to have better scores and points difference cos of when& where they play Italy (& Scotland). The big games for Ireland are France, England and Wales. Each of those is a 50 50 game in its own right tbh, with Ireland imho likely to beat England & Wales, the French as ever are the enigma wrapped in a mystery for Ireland, they may just turn over Ireland... should be good viewing all the same... looking forward to it now.
        Last edited by Daithi; 3rd-February-2015, 18:56.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Quite tough to pick. In terms of players available to us, we appear to be in the strongest position in a number of years (Sexton notwithstanding). One concern is that we may be putting out a stronger team in terms of reputation but perhaps the players might not be as battle hardened (pending Schmidt picking Sexton, O'Brien, Healy, Murray etc).

What is encouraging is that the Schmidt plan (as already pointed out) is massively pragmatic and about building on foundations. So you would expect that with more time with the squad, the resulting performance might be even better.

What we cannot really predict is what Wales, England, France or even Scotland will turn up. You could make a case for any one of them beating us on their day. As England showed in the early 2000's, you can be the best team, but winning a Slam is very difficult.

Having said all of the above, I believe we will win 4 out of 5 but I just cannot put my finger on which one we will lose…if Wales beat England on friday, they could get on a roll and they may be the potential banana skin

Comment

You never know what teams are going to do what in the year of the world cup. Are they going to look short term to the 6 Nations or long term to the world cup. Hard to predict how we're going to do, based on other teams.

I think England's priority will be looking to the world cup and trying to expand their squad, I think our priority is the 6 Nations.
            I don't think we'll win all the games, I think we'll lose one a long the way, but honest, with the year that's in it, all bets are off.
            The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Don't think we will win both of our home games, and Wales away would be a minor miracle if we won it.

Im looking forward to what Scotland bring this season.

france to win the thing, but not the slam.

Comment

The form of the provinces and that showing by the backup in Cork suggests to me that it may be bleak.
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

if our scrum holds out we could do well. i wouldn't bother too much about what we saw last week. we certainly didn't show our hand in attack!
                  It will probably be 4/5 coming down to points difference again.

England have a lot of significant injuries.
                  Wales & France god only knows.
                  Looking forward to seeing what Scotland are like with Cotter.
                  Hi sham, gimme 2 pints of carling, a bottle of bud, and a vodka and orange for the burd

Comment

I think we will lose 1 game. I think we could lose 2 games.

Just don't ask me which games!
                    I am the million man.

Comment

Fun fact, including the slam in '09 we have lost half our games to date in the six nations between the start of the '09 series and next weekend. Yet we have two titles! when we are hot we are red hot, consistency is not a strong suit
                      I am the million man.

Comment

We need some abraisiveness up front.....SOB and Henderson to supplement POM & POC would help.
                        Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Joe is on a different planet to the rest of them with only England capable of getting anywhere near us and their injuries and playing away from home isn't favourable. Nobody is able to compete with his set phase and selection has been largely irrelevant during his tenure as the main playing requirement is being able to follow instruction. 5/5 Grand Slam.

Provincial form wouldn't worry me as the only teams leaving us behind (Toulon, Clermont) are reliant on world class SH mercenaries to do so. We're still going toe to toe with the best teams in England and the rest of France despite having our three best teams being managed by very poor head coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                            Joe is on a different planet to the rest of them with only England capable of getting anywhere near us and their injuries and playing away from home isn't favourable. Nobody is able to compete with his set phase and selection has been largely irrelevant during his tenure as the main playing requirement is being able to follow instruction. 5/5 Grand Slam.

Provincial form wouldn't worry me as the only teams leaving us behind (Toulon, Clermont) are reliant on world class SH mercenaries to do so. We're still going toe to toe with the best teams in England and the rest of France despite having our three best teams being managed by very poor head coaches.
                            Is that optimistic or pessimistic........I seriously cant tell!

Comment

They'll flay you if we don't slam Dowlinz!
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X