International unions secondary teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International unions secondary teams

South Africa have now changed their secondary team to their u20s. Anybody who represented them since 2013 can not now represent any other nation http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...682380,00.html

It is surely only a matter of time before New Zealand follow suit if they have any sense. Their current secondary team is the Junior All Blacks (effectively NZ "A") who haven't played since 2009.

As things currently stand I believe the following are the registered secondary teams........

Ireland - Wolfhounds (Ireland A)
    England - Saxons (England A)
    Wales - Wales u20s
    Scotland - Scotland A
    France - France A
    Italy - Italy A
    New Zealand - Junior All Blacks (New Zealand A)
    South Africa - South Africa u20s
    Australia - Australia A
    Argentina - Jaguars (Argentina A)

I think Italy and France both use the u20s as well now. Had the old link to the irb page but of course they are now World Rugby and the link is now dead.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
      South Africa have now changed their secondary team to their u20s. Anybody who represented them since 2013 can not now represent any other nation http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2...682380,00.html
      So CJ is still in line to become IQ in November and Pat Howard is still eligible to come in as a project player but South Africa are potentially drawing a line in the sand after that, they've had enough!

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
        I think Italy and France both use the u20s as well now. Had the old link to the irb page but of course they are now World Rugby and the link is now dead.
        I'm amazed that all the unions don't use their U-20's as their second designated team when you consider the numbers of players that play at that level compared to teams like the Wolfhounds etc.

Comment

The 3 year rule is the problem. A complete nonsense.
          "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by neill_m View Post
            They were the 2 countries I wasn't sure of! I had the same link saved but it's all gone now

Comment

Thats a disaster for us.

I can see RSA's idea and they are right . .from their point of viewing things . .

But the project players were one of the few ways our provinces could target talent to TRY and compete with the rest of Europe.

We were trying to catch them before they became 'big' players . .

Toulon etc just buy them after.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                Thats a disaster for us.

I can see RSA's idea and they are right . .from their point of viewing things . .

But the project players were one of the few ways our provinces could target talent to TRY and compete with the rest of Europe.

We were trying to catch them before they became 'big' players . .

Toulon etc just buy them after.
                Surely we still can, they just won't be able to go on and qualify to play for Ireland. That said, is Herbst still ok?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                  Surely we still can, they just won't be able to go on and qualify to play for Ireland. That said, is Herbst still ok?

But they cannot thus be project players and some wont move as a result.

Would CJ or Strauss or Payne have come here just to remain at club level? The chance to vie for a place on the international side is a carrot for these folks.

I doubt CJ would have for a few reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                    But they cannot thus be project players and some wont move as a result.

Would CJ or Strauss or Payne have come here just to remain at club level? The chance to vie for a place on the international side is a carrot for these folks.

I doubt CJ would have for a few reasons.
                    Plenty of potential for project players still out there without SA u20s.

Doubtful CJ would have made the move. Strauss played u19s but not sure he ever played u21s but I might be wrong (there was no u20s back then). And Payne played u21s (again before the u20s grade was formed) so hard to know which grade they would have called secondary back then. u21s presumably.

Herbst is 2 years older than Stander so well before the 2013 deadline for u20s.

If everyone changed to u20s it would make Gopperth eligible to be project player. I believe van den Heever, Andrew Smith, Tom McCartney, Nathan White, Quinn Roux, Danie Poolman, Bundee Aki never represented their nations u20s sides. It would however rule out Jake Heenan.

Comment

Plenty of potential for project players still out there without SA u20s.

Doubtful CJ would have made the move. Strauss played u19s but not sure he ever played u21s but I might be wrong (there was no u20s back then). And Payne played u21s (again before the u20s grade was formed) so hard to know which grade they would have called secondary back then. u21s presumably.

Herbst is 2 years older than Stander so well before the 2013 deadline for u20s.

If everyone changed to u20s it would make Gopperth eligible to be project player. I believe van den Heever, Andrew Smith, Tom McCartney, Nathan White, Quinn Roux, Danie Poolman, Bundee Aki never represented their nations u20s sides. It would however rule out Jake Heenan.
                      I understand your reply but I was referring to Strauss etc in terms of the fact that they are now Irish qualified players as opposed to their own backgrounds ruling them in or out.

I had no idea when writing the post what under age level they had played at but what I was getting at was the fact that in general the chance to play international rugby for Ireland is an incentive for more than a few players who come to our clubs as project players.

It is indeed only the RSA so far but could easily become NZ and others also.

Our latest signing would be lost to us also along with CJ were that the case.

Comment

Yes Stander, Tyler and possibly Payne/Strauss depending on whether their unions would have gone with u19s or u21s would not have moved here. And yes it does make it harder.

But I was just pointing out that there are still plenty of opportunities out there for project players who haven't played u20s.

Comment

Yes Stander, Tyler and possibly Payne/Strauss depending on whether their unions would have gone with u19s or u21s would not have moved here. And yes it does make it harder.

But I was just pointing out that there are still plenty of opportunities out there for project players who haven't played u20s.
                          Indeed. GVdH I suppose being an example of your point.

Comment

After the SA decision I suspect we will see a lot more 16 year olds Saffers playing for English public/ private schools and then playing for England.

Comment

Working...
                            X