Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this compromise to the rugby season work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Could this compromise to the rugby season work?

    There is a big thread over on Green and Gold rugby about the Aussie player exodus which has morphed into a discussion of a global season etc. I have been arguing against the idea of the NH season running from February to November with a break over December and January. But one of the posters, Quick Hands, has suggested that a workable compromise which would help rationalize the international season, would see the June tours and the November tours moved to September and October. What do posters think of the idea?

    #2
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    There is a big thread over on Green and Gold rugby about the Aussie player exodus which has morphed into a discussion of a global season etc. I have been arguing against the idea of the NH season running from February to November with a break over December and January. But one of the posters, Quick Hands, has suggested that a workable compromise which would help rationalize the international season, would see the June tours and the November tours moved to September and October. What do posters think of the idea?
    Absolutely not for me. The pinnacle of the NH season is the Six Nations. A season starting in February would ruin it. If it ain't broke... Players leaving Australia is their issue not ours.
    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by redherring View Post
      Absolutely not for me. The pinnacle of the NH season is the Six Nations. A season starting in February would ruin it. If it ain't broke... Players leaving Australia is their issue not ours.

      Id have to agree.

      I would also hazard a guess that the exodus of players has to do with many more issues than the season . .

      ( or is he referring to a way to have NH players still able to play for the Wallabies by having joint seasons?? . . . . if so its a strange point as Australian Rugby doesn't select overseas players anyway so . . .)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by redherring View Post
        Absolutely not for me. The pinnacle of the NH season is the Six Nations. A season starting in February would ruin it. If it ain't broke... Players leaving Australia is their issue not ours.
        Don't agree on the "their problem" bit. If the French start strip mining us the way they have the Welsh we'll be first out of the blocks in the calls for controls, international wage caps etc.

        We do ourselves no favours in the long term if we usher the Aussie game over the cliff that it's already struggling to stay away from.
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

        "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


        "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

        Comment


          #5
          Sorry, my OP is not clear. A couple of posters were arguing for the NH season to replicate the SH season with a break in December and January. I agree that is a complete non starter and the six nations should remain where it is in the Feb/ March window.

          But another suggestion was for the six nations to stay where it is but the other international windows, currently played in June in the SH and November in the NH could be moved to be played in September and October. I think it is an idea that has merit. It would reduce the workload on the players, with the internationals playing two or three weeks less club rugby but, they would be available in solid blocks for their clubs as compensation. It would also make for more competitive match ups as the NH teams would not be going south at the end of long seasons, but after a break.

          Comment


            #6
            Kiwis go into kiwi camp for a massive block, during which they hone and perfect their gameplan, whereas Ireland go into camp piecemeal during the domestic season.

            The SH calendar gives them an advantage because when its test window it's nothing but the international team and similar during the club window.
            I am the million man.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              Kiwis go into kiwi camp for a massive block, during which they hone and perfect their gameplan, whereas Ireland go into camp piecemeal during the domestic season.

              The SH calendar gives them an advantage because when its test window it's nothing but the international team and similar during the club window.
              They would do a large part of the pre season in international camp which must improve standards. From an Irish perspective, the provinces would have a really long period when they had first call on the internationals without them swanning off to practise ruck resourcing for St Joe!?! I think it is an idea that has serious merit.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                They would do a large part of the pre season in international camp which must improve standards. From an Irish perspective, the provinces would have a really long period when they had first call on the internationals without them swanning off to practise ruck resourcing for St Joe!?! I think it is an idea that has serious merit.
                Its win win really, plus Acquel would have a full hand to pick from every week and Joe could get a look at the likes of Dave OCallaghan or Jack Conan for an extended period.

                I'd rather see a Munster season uninterrupted and an Irish season uninterrupted.
                I am the million man.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                  Its win win really, plus Acquel would have a full hand to pick from every week and Joe could get a look at the likes of Dave OCallaghan or Jack Conan for an extended period.

                  I'd rather see a Munster season uninterrupted and an Irish season uninterrupted.
                  Doubtless PRL wouldn't go for it, but, if they were to get three weeks worth of player release out of the RFU or three weeks when the England players are being paid by the RFU rather than the clubs then it would be worth their while. The French could be a sticking point because of their giant season I suppose.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    Don't agree on the "their problem" bit. If the French start strip mining us the way they have the Welsh we'll be first out of the blocks in the calls for controls, international wage caps etc.

                    We do ourselves no favours in the long term if we usher the Aussie game over the cliff that it's already struggling to stay away from.
                    Sorry my post was a bit out of context. I meant redressing the seasons because many of their players are over in Europe is something they need to look at not us. I agree on your point about the exodus to France. Personally I feel their salary cap is too high at €35 million and should be halved to bring them in line with the other nations.
                    Last edited by redherring; 6th-February-2015, 14:26.
                    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      To have an international game - which has only 2 handfuls of teams which are any good - split into 2 is a nonsense.

                      When does it matter what time of the year certain competitions take place anyway? It's all totally abstract.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

                      Paul Theroux

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by busby View Post
                        To have an international game - which has only 2 handfuls of teams which are any good - split into 2 is a nonsense.

                        When does it matter what time of the year certain competitions take place anyway? It's all totally abstract.
                        Without an international game split into two so that NH play SH as well as championships in each hemispheres, professional rugby simply wouldn't exist outside of France.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I don't agree with it at all. NH teams would have 6 Nations in Feb/March and then a break until the Sept/Oct games at home and away. Whereas the SH nations would have the continuity of a Rugby Championship in July/August leading straight into the Sept/Oct games. The Aussies want to change it cause they don't like playing in unfavourable NH conditions in November.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                            I don't agree with it at all. NH teams would have 6 Nations in Feb/March and then a break until the Sept/Oct games at home and away. Whereas the SH nations would have the continuity of a Rugby Championship in July/August leading straight into the Sept/Oct games. The Aussies want to change it cause they don't like playing in unfavourable NH conditions in November.
                            But do we want to be playing in the SH in June?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                              But do we want to be playing in the SH in June?
                              I would yes. I'd rather end the season there on a tough 3 match series and have time off after rather than go there in September for 3 tough games and then fly home to play even more internationals.

                              The travel isn't to be underestimated. Whoever travels first will go through the jetlag process twice whereas the other will have to do it once. On top of that the SH sides will have travelled all over from Argentina to SA to Oz to NZ. Players are already being flogged enough.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X