Ireland To Play Barbarians In Thomond Park - 28th May 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diarm View Post
    Any chance Joe will take a serious look at R.Kearney after last night?
    I know it wasn't a full international but remember Marmion played himself out of Ireland contention against the Saxons.

I honestly believe Payne, Jones or Zebo (in that order) would be a better option at this stage.

The thing in Rob's defence is that he is very good at certain things. Not amazing at others and he has a weak point also then . . .like most or any player to be fair. Some of the things Rob is good at are key Fullback skills.

There is far more sense to his continued selection than there will be to Dave Kearney making the RWC squad.

I know Joe really rates him and has quoted his stats before . . ..they are even more puzzling to me . . . .player to break most tackles was one I recall.

How come a winger, who has the greatest rate of breaking tackles . .cannot score a try when the others wingers can.

Gilroy may not be the worlds greatest defender but he sure can bring a spark and his feet will gain you ground. He scores tries, Bowe scores tries, Zebo scores tries, Earls etc

One question, a serious one, not a "wum". What is the story with Rob and pasing/ offloading??

We all know that when he counter attacks he will never pass/ offload . .but even when he came into the line last night running with the backs the ball dies with him . .what is the story. Does he ever pass?

Comment

I wonder will Dingo cite youtube hits for McGrath?
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
        The thing in Rob's defence is that he is very good at certain things. Not amazing at others and he has a weak point also then . . .like most or any player to be fair. Some of the things Rob is good at are key Fullback skills.

There is far more sense to his continued selection than there will be to Dave Kearney making the RWC squad.

I know Joe really rates him and has quoted his stats before . . ..they are even more puzzling to me . . . .player to break most tackles was one I recall.

How come a winger, who has the greatest rate of breaking tackles . .cannot score a try when the others wingers can.

Gilroy may not be the worlds greatest defender but he sure can bring a spark and his feet will gain you ground. He scores tries, Bowe scores tries, Zebo scores tries, Earls etc

One question, a serious one, not a "wum". What is the story with Rob and pasing/ offloading??

We all know that when he counter attacks he will never pass/ offload . .but even when he came into the line last night running with the backs the ball dies with him . .what is the story. Does he ever pass?
        You couldn't trust Gilroy against a top class team with his defence. Top class Test matches are won in defence. Sad state of affairs for rugby but that's the way it is.
        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Sure, Fionn Carr had great wheels to score trys but defence was poor and that was his achilles heal.
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            You couldn't trust Gilroy against a top class team with his defence. Top class Test matches are won in defence. Sad state of affairs for rugby but that's the way it is.

I would agree, its an area he need to work on . . .but at least he succeeds in attack . . . .the other fella however!!

Comment

Kearney is good at fielding, kicking, his reading & positioning isnt bad and the odd time he passes he can do it fine. His weaknesses are he misses tackles, his famous courage under the high ball isnt the same when tackling, he rarely breaks the line, lacks top pace and is an average counter attacker ie he rarely beats someone or puts a man into space, he usually hits the deck before contact.

Why he is nailed on is beyond me, I dont rate Jones either, how Joe had him on the bench is an even worse call than Kearney starting. Payne or Zebo for me would make far better FB options than either of them. Add a fit Bowe Earls Trimble Fitz to the mix and well...
              \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Gilroy's defence is usually fairly sound but like most wings if a player is coming at pace with space inside and out bet on the attacking player to break any tackle being made head on .

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post
                  Kearney is good at fielding, kicking, his reading & positioning isnt bad and the odd time he passes he can do it fine. His weaknesses are he misses tackles, his famous courage under the high ball isnt the same when tackling, he rarely breaks the line, lacks top pace and is an average counter attacker ie he rarely beats someone or puts a man into space, he usually hits the deck before contact.

Why he is nailed on is beyond me, I dont rate Jones either, how Joe had him on the bench is an even worse call than Kearney starting. Payne or Zebo for me would make far better FB options than either of them. Add a fit Bowe Earls Trimble Fitz to the mix and well...
                  Id agree with all that.

I'm not a Jones advocate either. Zebo can do everything Jones does at FB but he is a far better kicker.

Comment

Id agree with all that.

I'm not a Jones advocate either. Zebo can do everything Jones does at FB but he is a far better kicker.
                    Cheers, ya for me it was Sarries away that I noticed how bad Jones kicking game is. Added to the fact this season that hes been missing tackles weekly and hes not offering much in attack, I don't see what the fuss is about. Id love to see Zebo given a run of games there for Munster and Ireland, he looks so dangerous entering the line from 15.
                    \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                      Sure, Fionn Carr had great wheels to score trys but defence was poor and that was his achilles heal.
                      It's Matt Healy's too but he's improving on it.

Fionn decided early on he didn't do defence, never worked on it and as a result is a modern day Niall Woods on the wing.
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Full game video here for people like me who haven't seen it: https://vid.me/ChaV

Lead-up to Cuthbert's first try, ref inexplicably gives a penalty against Strauss after he rips the ball in contact.

Comment

Good game overall, I think. Was played more at a HEC pool game pace than test-level, but there was a certain leeway from the ref and both teams kept the ball in hand and tapped penalties when normally they'd have played for territory. Thought Ireland played well and it was only when George Smith came on that Ireland got really pummelled at the breakdown, while Collie O'Shea did well in the first half in particular. We lost but no real negatives to take from it, and that was without most of our best players.

Comment

Working...
                          X