Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raeburn Shield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Raeburn Shield

    The first ever Rugby International was played in Raeburn Place in Edinburgh in 1871. Scotland beat England.

    What if the World Championship in Rugby were decided on a Challenge basis like the Ranfurly Shield in New Zealand or the World Titles in Boxing?

    There is such a concept. It's called the Raeburn Shield a mythical trophy that would have been held by Scotland in 1871 would have been won by England in 1872 and swapped between the two until Ireland won it in 1887. All the six nations except Italy, all the Championship sides, Romania, Samoa and Japan have held it.

    Why am I writing this now? Well Ireland won it by beating South Africa and have retained it by beating Georgia. It's up for grabs again on Saturday.

    See here for more details.
    Last edited by Piquet; 17th-November-2014, 20:07.

    #2
    The Raeburn Shield was retained by Ireland today. The next defence will be in Rome on the 7th of February. A win for Italy would win them the Shield for the first time.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      The first ever Rugby International was played in Raeburn Place in Edinburgh in 1871. Scotland beat England.

      What if the World Championship in Rugby were decided on a Challenge basis like the Ranfurly Shield in New Zealand or the World Titles in Boxing?

      There is such a concept. It's called the Raeburn Shield a mythical trophy that would have been held by Scotland in 1871 would have been won by England in 1872 and swapped between the two until Ireland won it in 1887. All the six nations except Italy, all the Championship sides, Romania, Samoa and Japan have held it.

      Why am I writing this now? Well Ireland won it by beating South Africa and have retained it by beating Georgia. It's up for grabs again on Saturday.

      See here for more details.
      The Ranfurly Shield is slightly different in that you can only win it by defeating the current holders on their home patch.

      Comment


        #4
        Strictly speaking yes, but any holder may chose to defend away. When Auckland were the holders between '85 and '93, they took it "on tour" and defended it successfully in a number of away matches.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Piquet View Post
          Strictly speaking yes, but any holder may chose to defend away. When Auckland were the holders between '85 and '93, they took it "on tour" and defended it successfully in a number of away matches.
          Cheers, didn't know that. Been trying to figure out who would currently hold the international version of the Ranfurly Shield (ignoring games played by the Lions). Have got as far as 1997 when South Africa won it off the Italians. Unfortunately there appears to be as many internationals played since the game went open as there were in the previous 124 years so may take a while to wade through the last 17 years.

          Ireland last held it between Summer 1979 (beating Australia in Brisbane) and the 5N in 1981 when we lost to France at home. So far (end of 1997) all the 6N and Rugby Championship teams have held it at one point or another.

          Comment


            #6
            There's a list of all holders here which appears to disagree with what you have written above.

            This site looks at all the games by all the teams.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Piquet View Post
              There's a list of all holders here which appears to disagree with what you have written above.

              This site looks at all the games by all the teams.
              I'm looking at it from a different perspective using the standard Ranfurly Shield rules, so I'm using the "must be won in the defending team's home patch" rule.

              Comment


                #8
                Fair enough.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Ireland retained the Raeburn Shield again on Sunday. They have now held it for 6 matches and 115 days and counting which is a new record for Ireland.

                  It's up for grabs again on Saturday Week in Cardiff.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What's the similarity between the Raeburn Shield, the Emperors new clothes, and the Dodo?
                    Last edited by Miguel Sanchez; 3rd-March-2015, 10:16.
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      That all depends on what an "Emporer" is.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thank you pedantic pete
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Jaysus, JCC If you're not prepared to take it, you shouldn't start dishing it out.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Meanwhile back in the realms of reality.......
                            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                              Meanwhile back in the realms of reality.......
                              Ah come on, mush. If you think what happens on here is reality, there's really no hope for you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X