Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRB Player of the year

IRB WORLD RUGBY PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2014 NOMINEES ANNOUNCED
    After a thrilling year of rugby it's now time for the IRB World Rugby Player of the Year 2014 award, and the nominees are:
    Julian Savea (New Zealand)
    Willie le Roux (South Africa)
    Jonathan Sexton (Ireland)
    Brodie Retallick (New Zealand)
    Duane Vermeulen (South Africa)

Well, Savea should win this ?
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

This is picked on international matches only by the way in case people were wondering. Hence no Toulon or Waratahs players!

Mad to think Jonathan Sexton is the oldest of the five nominees.

Savea should be the favourite. I wouldn't begrudge Retallick a win either. Was immense during the Rugby Championship.
    Last edited by garryowen2323; 12th-November-2014, 13:43.

Comment

Firstly, I´d love an Irish player to win it... just reward for Sexton´s single minded committment...
      Secondly I´d love a Second rower to win it... a pity it wasn´t Paulie..
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
        Firstly, I´d love an Irish player to win it... just reward for Sexton´s single minded committment...
        Secondly I´d love a Second rower to win it... a pity it wasn´t Paulie..
        Can't help but feel he's the token Northern Hemisphere entry. Average 6 Nations tournament this year but couldn't pick 5 Southern Hemisphere. The summer tour win against a half second string Argie team doesn't line up against NZ's battles with England unfortunately.

Comment

The SH vote could be split between the 5? . Sexton could do well in France and Ireland .
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
            The SH vote could be split between the 5? . Sexton could do well in France and Ireland .
            Nah social media vote. Savea will win it easily enough I'd say.

Comment

I thought O'Connell might have gotten on this list, but I guess the lack of a quality summer tour, told in the end.

Comment

Mike Brown and Michael Hooper unlucky not to make the list

Comment

Whilst unfair to Savea...imo being a winger for NZ is not the hardest job in world rugby.
                  Zac Guildford ,Joe Rokocoko havent set the world on fire since the left NZ.
                  If not Cash then Retallick
                  "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                    Whilst unfair to Savea...imo being a winger for NZ is not the hardest job in world rugby.
                    Zac Guildford ,Joe Rokocoko havent set the world on fire since the left NZ.
                    If not Cash then Retallick
                    Sure using that rationale second row for NZ must be a walk in the park. Chris Jack did nothing since he left NZ!

Or you could say the likes of Rudi Wulf won the Heineken Cup yet couldn't get a look in the NZ on the wing?

Yes NZ create more chances than your average national team but those chances still have to be converted. I think his workrate and kicking ability have really improved this year too. Popping up off the 10/12's shoulder whereas he used to just hang on the wing. Plus his chip and chase abilities have been more than useful against defences who rush up to try stop him before he builds up a head of steam
                    Last edited by garryowen2323; 12th-November-2014, 14:34.

Comment

Savea has really improved over the last two years. His an unreal finisher and a great man to break a tackle. Probably the best wing in the world at the moment.

Comment

Easy decision

Click image for larger version

Name:	duane.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2484384
                        "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude abides.
                        "Forwards win matches. Backs decide by how much." - DK

Comment

Delighted for Sexton.... Hope he wins.

Outside him....Retallick for me...

Comment

when was the last time there wasn't a McCaw or Carter on the shortlist?
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                              Sure using that rationale second row for NZ must be a walk in the park. Chris Jack did nothing since he left NZ!

Or you could say the likes of Rudi Wulf won the Heineken Cup yet couldn't get a look in the NZ on the wing?

Yes NZ create more chances than your average national team but those chances still have to be converted. I think his workrate and kicking ability have really improved this year too. Popping up off the 10/12's shoulder whereas he used to just hang on the wing. Plus his chip and chase abilities have been more than useful against defences who rush up to try stop him before he builds up a head of steam
                              You are right. Thats why Chris Jack shouldn't be nominated for Player of the year either

Im not saying Savea ain't good...but If tommy bowe was a kiwi he probably get a similar strike rate and be nominated.
                              "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Working...
                              X