Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autumn int. squad/team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Autumn int. squad/team

    How does the Leinster v Munster beating in the aviva impact on joes selections for the autumn?


    Ive always felt Dave foley is more dynamic that toner and would like to see him get some decent game time in this series.

    Cronin easily handled ross, who is past it, he has probably put himself ahead of killer, but most impressively he seems to have removed the ill. Discipline from his game, another player who should see pitch time

    With Dave Kearney not having played much will joe realise that Zebo is the messiah?

    robin copeland? Next best number 8 after (CJ and) Heaslip? Surely they will want to have him into the extended squad.

    TOD and Dominick ryan should by capped

    the sub dub hooker Byrne looks a good prospect but may ye there is just to much ahead of him, best, cronin, varley


    I hope he has the sense to realize that the only quality SH's are Murray and marmion.

    #2
    Munster's backrow looks to be stronger than Ireland's at the moment, with Stander, Copeland, POM and TOD as the best panel since Quinny, Leamy, Wally and Foley. For Ireland, it's almost certainly going to be POM, Henry and Heaslip, with Ruddock on the bench. TOD has a lot of ground to make up and Copeland is still getting up to speed.

    Toner is living off the glories of previous adequate performances. Since he wandered around Stade de France like a tourist, he's been generally poor, and you'd wonder what the Leinster S&C were at, adding 3 Kg to a fella who struggles with athleticism and agility. Without Paulie to school him and direct him around the pitch, he's looked a bit lost. That said, every tall man in Ulster is injured and Dave Foley has a lot of homework to do after missing three terms under Joe. Unless there are grinds available to catch him up, he's unlikely to start the big November fixtures.

    The loosehead position should be up for grabs, but incumbency will probably win out again, with McGrath improving as a player by being absent on Saturday. Ross looks finished, but none of his potential replacements have been outstanding. Could be the time to take a punt on Furlong for the World Cup, as there's not too much more to be dragged out of Ross anyway.

    Half-backs will be the same. No-one really challenging. Centres will be interesting. Henshaw has been the outstanding 13 in the country, but the Payne project seems to have an inevitability about it. Whatever happens, it'll be D'Arcy at 12. No coach would want to put together a completely new unit in a few weeks. The midfield will be more exciting against Georgia.

    Back three is going to be Bowe, Kearney and Trimble. Zebo might make the bench because of McFadden's injury.

    Can't see too many changes to that, no matter how the European games go.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
      Munster's backrow looks to be stronger than Ireland's at the moment, with Stander, Copeland, POM and TOD as the best panel since Quinny, Leamy, Wally and Foley. For Ireland, it's almost certainly going to be POM, Henry and Heaslip, with Ruddock on the bench. TOD has a lot of ground to make up and Copeland is still getting up to speed.

      Toner is living off the glories of previous adequate performances. Since he wandered around Stade de France like a tourist, he's been generally poor, and you'd wonder what the Leinster S&C were at, adding 3 Kg to a fella who struggles with athleticism and agility. Without Paulie to school him and direct him around the pitch, he's looked a bit lost. That said, every tall man in Ulster is injured and Dave Foley has a lot of homework to do after missing three terms under Joe. Unless there are grinds available to catch him up, he's unlikely to start the big November fixtures.

      The loosehead position should be up for grabs, but incumbency will probably win out again, with McGrath improving as a player by being absent on Saturday. Ross looks finished, but none of his potential replacements have been outstanding. Could be the time to take a punt on Furlong for the World Cup, as there's not too much more to be dragged out of Ross anyway.

      Half-backs will be the same. No-one really challenging. Centres will be interesting. Henshaw has been the outstanding 13 in the country, but the Payne project seems to have an inevitability about it. Whatever happens, it'll be D'Arcy at 12. No coach would want to put together a completely new unit in a few weeks. The midfield will be more exciting against Georgia.

      Back three is going to be Bowe, Kearney and Trimble. Zebo might make the bench because of McFadden's injury.

      Can't see too many changes to that, no matter how the European games go.
      Munster's backrow isn't stronger than Irelands though is by far best for us since the four you named were at their best.
      Problem with taking a punt on Furlong is him getting enough big games and with Ross and Moore in Blue ahead of him will he get enough games?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

        The loosehead position should be up for grabs, but incumbency will probably win out again, with McGrath improving as a player by being absent on Saturday.

        :p
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
          Munster's backrow isn't stronger than Irelands though is by far best for us since the four you named were at their best.
          Problem with taking a punt on Furlong is him getting enough big games and with Ross and Moore in Blue ahead of him will he get enough games?
          I am not sure Moore is ahead of Furlong. Selections so far have been inconclusive.
          Last edited by HenryFitz; 6th-October-2014, 12:00.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
            Back three is going to be Bowe, Kearney and Trimble. Zebo might make the bench because of McFadden's injury.
            Apart from Tommy Bowe's form not being great, Zebo played 2 x 80 min games against Argentina and even Schmidt said he was good.

            Comment


              #7
              Hopefully KingJoe will keep his blue blinkers and leave Munster alone
              clowns

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                Apart from Tommy Bowe's form not being great, Zebo played 2 x 80 min games against Argentina and even Schmidt said he was good.
                Yes but Trimble has been very good and Bowe will always play unless he breaks a leg.
                I think Zebo will get a start versus Australia and be on the bench for SA. It's 2 from 3 with the choice being between Trimble and Zebo.

                Kearney will be full back - hasn't really got a challenger unless JS decides that Payne is his centre and Henshaw is allowed put the wind up Kearney or vice versa.

                Out-halves pick themselves.
                Marmion should be ahead of Reddan. Murray picks himself.

                Furlong is definitely better the Moore- absolutely convinced after Saturday night. So he should be 3rd choice at worst. Archer on form should be the tight-head. Nathan in th mix but probably not close enough.

                Loose-head could be anyone from Cronin,Kiilcoyne, Mc Grath.

                POC and Toner with Foley benching. Foley just isn't going to be thrown into a game versus SA on his debut.

                Backrow- Mine would be POM, TOD and Heaslip. Likely to be POM, Henry, Heaslip with TOD benching. I've never been a huge fan of Ruddock.
                I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                  Apart from Tommy Bowe's form not being great, Zebo played 2 x 80 min games against Argentina and even Schmidt said he was good.
                  I thought Bowe was in excellent nick on Friday night. Might not be running in tons of tries but he creates a lot for everyone else.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by barleys chinos View Post
                    Hopefully KingJoe will keep his blue blinkers and leave Munster alone
                    Yeah, I hope so too. We have competitions with like trophies and stuff to focus on
                    My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Last years Superblue 6N squad, few injuries and retirements have opened up slots for some Leinster A players. What changes do we expect? Daverage, Healy, Hendo, SOB, BOD, Soft J, Earls, Fitzy all out of contention I assume. Boss should be dropped but won't be.

                      Rodney Ah You
                      Stephen Archer
                      Rory Best
                      Robin Copeland
                      Sean Cronin
                      Robbie Diack
                      Cian Healy
                      Jamie Heaslip
                      Iain Henderson
                      Chris Henry
                      Rob Herring
                      David Kilcoyne
                      Mike McCarthy
                      Jack McGrath
                      Martin Moore
                      Jordi Murphy
                      Paul O'Connell
                      Tommy O'Donnell
                      Peter O'Mahony
                      Mike Ross
                      Rhys Ruddock
                      Devin Toner
                      Dan Tuohy
                      Damian Varley
                      Backs (20)
                      Isaac Boss
                      Darren Cave
                      Gordon D'Arcy
                      Keith Earls
                      Luke Fitzgerald
                      Robbie Henshaw
                      Paddy Jackson
                      Felix Jones
                      David Kearney
                      Rob Kearney
                      Ian Keatley
                      Ian Madigan
                      Kieran Marmion
                      Luke Marshall
                      Fergus McFadden
                      Conor Murray
                      Brian O'Driscoll
                      Eoin Reddan
                      Jonathan Sexton
                      Andrew Trimble
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Might young Olding feature?
                        Gwan Joe!!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by sewa View Post
                          Last years Superblue 6N squad, few injuries and retirements have opened up slots for some Leinster A players. What changes do we expect? Daverage, Healy, Hendo, SOB, BOD, Soft J, Earls, Fitzy all out of contention I assume. Boss should be dropped but won't be.

                          Rodney Ah You
                          Stephen Archer
                          Rory Best
                          Robin Copeland
                          Sean Cronin
                          Robbie Diack
                          Cian Healy
                          Jamie Heaslip
                          Iain Henderson
                          Chris Henry
                          Rob Herring
                          David Kilcoyne
                          Mike McCarthy
                          Jack McGrath
                          Martin Moore
                          Jordi Murphy
                          Paul O'Connell
                          Tommy O'Donnell
                          Peter O'Mahony
                          Mike Ross
                          Rhys Ruddock
                          Devin Toner
                          Dan Tuohy
                          Damian Varley
                          Backs (20)
                          Isaac Boss
                          Darren Cave
                          Gordon D'Arcy
                          Keith Earls
                          Luke Fitzgerald
                          Robbie Henshaw
                          Paddy Jackson
                          Felix Jones
                          David Kearney
                          Rob Kearney
                          Ian Keatley
                          Ian Madigan
                          Kieran Marmion
                          Luke Marshall
                          Fergus McFadden
                          Conor Murray
                          Brian O'Driscoll
                          Eoin Reddan
                          Jonathan Sexton
                          Andrew Trimble
                          Not enough Kearneys in there. Would also expect to see Malcolm O'Kelly, Denis Hickie and Leo Cullen in place of the injured Leinster players.
                          Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by ustix View Post
                            Might young Olding feature?
                            Can't see him not being in the initial squad. Won't make the 23 IMO. It all comes down to Payne really that one.
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              Can't see him not being in the initial squad. Won't make the 23 IMO. It all comes down to Payne really that one.
                              I would love it if he makes it to the RWC, he's the future of our midfield methinks, with Henny.
                              Hanny, Stewy and Henny.
                              Gwan Joe!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X