Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rugby 7's Interview, Mafi etc can now switch countries

http://ur7s.com/news/ben-ryan-goes-i...u-need-to-know-

A ripple from this is a window that will also exist next year for players to effectively ‘switch’ countries back to a country they have a passport to.
    Ill try to explain this as simply as possible, so:
    If you haven’t played for 18 months for one of the “capped” teams in the nation you have already played for, AND hold a passport for another country then you can play in next year’s series for that country. Interestingly, once you make the switch, you are then available to be chosen for the nations XV’s test side too. You cannot switch back.
    After this season, the 18 months will go up to 3 years and the switch can only happen in an Olympic qualifying event or the Olympics itself, so if you don’t do it next season then its not again possible until the actual Olympics.
    If it I put this into a practical example, I will use Josh Drauniniu – sure you don’t mind Josh! Gets you some airtime!
    He played for England 7s in 2011 and hasn’t played for any other national England sides since. He holds a Fijian Passport (as well as a UK one) as was born and raised in Fiji so would be eligible for me to select if I wanted to and he wanted to. He could then play for Fiji at national 15’s level. Let me just make clear that this is just an example and not a clever ploy to lure Josh to back to Fiji! I just know the timings in this example in this and it just illustrates the point and also shows you that players do exist out there in this category.
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Someone phone Dougie! Olympic glory awaits!
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Not just Olympics, once they switch and play 7's they are also eligible for 15's
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

So an NIQ is now no longer an NIQ. This could be fun.

Comment

Its to comply with Olympics rules, remember those "Scandanavian" middle distance runners from Kenya
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Firstly no one should be allowed to have 2 passports. It's wide open to abuse.
            Secondly If it's all about passports? England, Wales Scotland or Northern Ireland don't have passports at all, so surely they all should be playing as the UK. While we will have the be the 'Three proud provinces of Ireland'
            www.canvasclubshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by stevetelcom2000 View Post
              Secondly If it's all about passports? England, Wales Scotland or Northern Ireland don't have passports at all, so surely they all should be playing as the UK. While we will have the be the 'Three proud provinces of Ireland'
              That's why it's team GB in d'Olympics, not England, despite what the newspapers and commentators say,
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

To get a Dutch one you must pledge allegiance and give up any other passports you have. Ours is a rather more complicated story though
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

I don't think they do have two passports. You can play for a rugby nation via residency qualification without ever holding their passport. So this would allow Strauss, for instance, to go back to being a South African player if he fancied it or allow some of England's Islanders (who may not hold UK passports) to revert too.

I expect we'll see a fair bit of movement around it in the run up to the window. The Qataris, for instance, have broken out the cheque book to persuade olympic athletes to pick up a Qatari passport and compete for them.

Slip Mafi, Afoa, McAllister, Warwick, or whoever a British/French/Irish passport and it's "Hello Rio!" and tog out for the 6N and World Cup (depending on when the eligibility kicks in).
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                    I don't think they do have two passports.
                    B.B The article states that Josh Drauniniu has both a Fijian and a UK passport.

'He holds a Fijian Passport (as well as a UK one) as was born and raised in Fiji so would be eligible for me to select if I wanted to and he wanted to.'
                    www.canvasclubshop.com

Comment

B.B The article states that Josh Drauniniu has both a Fijian and a UK passport.

'He holds a Fijian Passport (as well as a UK one) as was born and raised in Fiji so would be eligible for me to select if I wanted to and he wanted to.'

Sorry - I meant that they don't have to, and most won't.

Fiji is a bit of an abberation where the UK is concerned, I think, with the bilateral agreements and military recruiting.

Comment

Yes if he plays international 7's first and gets a passport, the first bit is the easy part. Getting a passport is almost impossible as anyone who familiar with the DFA will be aware of
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                          Yes if he plays international 7's first and gets a passport, the first bit is the easy part. Getting a passport is almost impossible as anyone who familiar with the DFA will be aware of
                          how is playing 7s for ireland the easy part ? we don't have a mens 7s squad & I don't think he'd be allowed play for the womens squad.
                          Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by lahinch_lass View Post
                            how is playing 7s for ireland the easy part ? we don't have a mens 7s squad & I don't think he'd be allowed play for the womens squad.
                            At least the 7s team just doesn't exist. To be as bad as Sewa's recent run ins with the DFA, they'd have to be actively employing a large number of people to directly prevent people from playing 7s.

So even in non existence, it remains the easier stage of the challenge

Comment

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/intern...93037-Jul2014/

Ex-All Blacks considering international ‘transfers’ for Rugby World Cup

Former Munster centre Lifeimi Mafi is reported to be among the players hoping to line out for Tonga.

Murray Kinsella

A LOOPHOLE IN the IRB’s international eligibility laws may mean that several former All Blacks and Wallabies line out for Tonga and Samoa in next year’s Rugby World Cup.
                              The loophole has come about due to rugby sevens’ inclusion in the Olympics in 2016, and means that players who have been capped at Test level for one nation can switch allegiance to another nation – as long as they hold a passport for that second country and have not played for the first country for at least 18 months.
                              The process would involve applying to play sevens for the ‘new’ nation in the 2014/15 IRB Sevens World Series, before becoming eligible to play the 15-a-side code thereafter.
                              Speculation has already centred around Steffon Armitage switching allegiance from England to France ahead of the World Cup, and now a number of ex-All Blacks and Wallabies have confirmed their interest around similar moves.
                              According to One News in New Zealand, Anthony Tuitavake, Sam Tuitupou [both Kiwi internationals] and ex-Wallabies Mark Gerrard and Sitaleki Timani will lodge applications to ‘transfer’ to Tonga.
                              Former Munster centre Lifeimi Mafi [who played sevens for New Zealand, but was born in Tonga] is another player One News say is “on board” to play for Tonga.

Other sources have linked Tim Nanai-Williams [NZ Sevens], Isaia Toeava and Lelia Masaga [both All Blacks] with moves to play for Samoa at the World Cup.
                              Under the same loophole, former New Zealand internationals like Joe Rokocoko and Sitiveni Sivivatu could feasibly make applications to represent Fiji.
                              Tonga Rugby Union chairman Epi Taione told One News that the potential for players to change their international allegiance in favour of Tonga was hugely welcome, and that he has formed a ‘hit list’ of players to target – including George Smith and Ben Tameifuna.
                              So far it’s been very positive from every single player, so we’re quite chuffed about the response we’ve had so far. It’s the biggest positive news in my time as a player and now as an administrator for Tonga,” said Taione.
                              “We have been close but rugby is moving and we have to be on our toes and change with the times. These guys being available for us is huge news for Tongan rugby.”

Comment

Working...
                              X