Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk about Jamie

Quality article like this deserves its own thread
    Ireland’s maverick number eight fails to score with rugby’s clubbable stuffed shirts
    Jamie Heaslip may be unorthodox but he also qualifies as an exceptional backrow forward

Brian O'Connor

Heaslip’s mortal sins supposedly include a tongue stud, cultivating a rather rakish Musketeer moustache during “Movember”, appearing for a captain’s flip of the coin wearing ear phones and flip flops, possessing a mutt called Jay-Z and generally giving an impression that rugby might not be his be all and end all.
    Now it’s true he might overegg the last one a bit. You don’t get to such a level of performance by clocking off at five. But what the hell. Everyone has a face they choose to present to the world and if Heaslip’s press conference face slipped, it betrayed only a straightforwardness that most of his colleagues manage to conceal behind a more consistent layer of bland PR waffle.
    No the real problem rugby-club types have isn’t about what’s in Heaslip’s mouth, on his lip, or the shade of thatch on his head. Bod after all was once forgiven the sort of peroxide mullet that otherwise is only found on hookers tramping the Tallinn docks. No the real problem is that Heaslip gives the impression he doesn’t care what they think about anything, least of all him.
    That’s hardly the whole picture, but it’s enough to convince those who want to be swayed that the Ireland number eight might not be a natural fit in the club lounge – not really one of the lads, a bit too full of himself. Basically green-eyed jealously of the guy in the green shirt who has everything they dream of, but isn’t of them.
    Yours truly actually witnessed a touch of this last winter when Heaslip launched the biography of the hugely popular Ireland kit man, Patrick Rala O’Reilly.
    There was barely breathing room at Terenure rugby club. And when Heaslip appeared most of it was filled by an almost audible purr from the women present, which in turn provoked some are you looking at my bird type male resentment. This might have been even more obvious had it not been we were all straining to see the one on Heaslip’s arm. The bastard!
    None of which really matters at all; except that it would be a shame for this to turn out to be one of those you’ll only appreciate him when he’s gone deals. People who actually know the game tell me that in reality it’s no coincidence Heaslip is the best-paid player in Ireland: he is the best player in Ireland, a rugby phenomenon. He’s also a bit different. Not Frank Zappa different, just different. That may show itself in a too cool for school way sometimes.
    But seriously, is Irish rugby so god-awfully uniform that it can’t allow for a little difference sometimes? And really, who cares about occasional exasperation at having to play the bull**** game. Heaslip should be cherished for being exceptional at the game he’s paid to play
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

I would have gone with "There's Something About Jamie" myself.

A big hello to the lurking Brian O'Connor.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jamie-and-the-magic-torch-4e2ee2c1453ad.png
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	2479644

Comment

I was considering it TWIB but I found it difficult to match the absolute epicness of the article with an appropriate thread title. This is why I dont write for the indo I suppose
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

It's easy to laugh, but it's so difficult to put yourself out there like that in front of so many people and be so open about your feelings.

I hope he texts, Brian.
          Last edited by Jenta; 16th-June-2014, 14:56.
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

I knew knew about the tongue stud.

Oh dear, oh dear.
            Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Like everyone else here, I am probably a little bit jealous of Jamie myself but I try not to let that temper my admiration for the man. To be honest, I've been watching him closely ever since he first burst onto the scene and have built up quite a good photo collection - I'm happy to share just a few of the pics I've taken over the years, all of which I believe capture something of his essence.

Here he is in one of his natural environments, an exclusive nightclub:

Jamie was a little shy about this one, but I felt it was important to get a more intimate portrait showing his more vulnerable side. I think you'll agree it was worth the effort.

In this one, we have a lovely photo of Jamie out effortlessly rowing a boat. There's an almost dreamlike quality to the image, much like Jamie himself:

Here he is taking a friend's dog for a walk. I hope Jay-Z isn't the jealous type!

This is Jamie simply relaxing in a café. Despite the almost sombre tone of the image, he's actually in a great mood here, having just ordered an extra-frothy mochacinno with his own little personal twist - a whole coffee bean carefully placed on top of the foam just prior to serving.

And of course here he is doing what he does best, using his raw physicality to get stuck into the hard graft on a rugby pitch with some heroic defensive efforts. In this photo the expression of gratitude for Jamie's unstinting support can be clearly read on Paul O'Connell's face, while Rory Best looks on in almost disbelieving admiration.
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Jaysus sewa you've outdone yourself. Tripe, and sexist tripe at that, of the highest order. Well done, sir *doffs cap*.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by SecondRowGal View Post
                  Jaysus sewa you've outdone yourself. Tripe, and sexist tripe at that, of the highest order. Well done, sir *doffs cap*.
                  I make it my duty to unearth the hidden gems, the unseen work.
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

Jeebus Chippy your picture montage would bring a tear to a glass eye
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

I don't understand. Was somebody paid to write that? What's the actual point of the article? What section of which paper were you browsing when you came across this Sewa? Or, do you have an automatic alert for any Heaslip related articles?

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Brian O'Connor
                        ...Munsterfans famously like their “liginds” down to earth and seem to have decided Heaslip is the epitome of Leinter up itself. In fact some of the more extreme social media verdicts suggest Cristiano Ronaldo might be a model of decorous restraint compared to the Ireland number eight... http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...1833118?page=1
                        Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                          I don't understand. Was somebody paid to write that? What's the actual point of the article? What section of which paper were you browsing when you came across this Sewa? Or, do you have an automatic alert for any Heaslip related articles?
                          http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/irel...1833118?page=2

Just happened across it in the Irish Times sports section, as to the rest of your questions I will make no comment at this time. I need to discuss it with the clique
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            Jeebus Chippy your picture montage would bring a tear to a glass eye
                            I suspect Brian O'Connor regularly has to wipe his eye after a few minutes of thinking about J'aime.
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
                              I knew knew about the tongue stud.

Oh dear, oh dear.
                              You know what Chris Rock says about guys with tongue rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X