No announcement yet.

IRUPA Awards 2014 - Munster’s James Coughlan collected the Unsung Hero Award

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRUPA Awards 2014 - Munster’s James Coughlan collected the Unsung Hero Award

Ulster and Ireland winger Andrew Trimble has been voted the IRUPA Players’ Player of the Year 2014 by his fellow players at the 12th annual awards ceremony.

Trimble started all of Ireland’s RBS 6 Nations games, scoring three tries along the way in a season of impressive performances.

The prestigious award counts as Trimble’s third IRUPA Award overall, having won the Young Player of the Year award in 2006 and Try of the Year accolade in 2010. The award also comes only days after Trimble was recognised as the Ulster Player of the Year.

Connacht and Ireland’s Robbie Henshaw was awarded the Nevin Spence Young Player 2014 accolade for the second year in succession, marking it the first time a player has won back-to-back awards in any category in the 12-year history of the awards.

The Try of the Year went to Rob Kearney for his intercept try against New Zealand during Ireland’s heartbreaking defeat to the Rugby Championship holders in the Autumn International Series.

Trimble was delighted to receive the award saying: “It's an honour to be recognised with this award, especially as it’s voted for by the players.

"It’s been a great season and this really tops it all off”.

Joining Ireland’s heroes in the IRUPA Hall of Fame was Ulster and Ireland prop Simon Best.

Munster’s James Coughlan collected the Unsung Hero Award, voted for by the public.

Devin Toner was presented with the Supporters' Player of the Year award.

Leinster’s Shane Jennings was awarded the Medal for Excellence, which rewards on-field effort combined with off-field commitment to the game.

Nominees were voted for by their peers but were also judged on their contribution to the sport through community involvement, education, work and charitable initiatives.

Three new awards were presented this year. The Contribution to Society award was presented to Donncha O’Callaghan in recognition of the significant impact made to society through his work with Unicef.

The inaugural Women’s Sevens Player of the Year 2014 as voted by members of the sevens squad was presented to Nicole Cronin for her consistent performances during the qualification tournaments for the Olympic Games in Rio in 2016.

In a season of standout performances and memories, members of the public voted Ireland’s Six Nations title win as the Rugby Moment of the Year via Twitter. The award was collected by Gordon D’Arcy and Ireland team manager Michael Kearney

Nice to see Coughlan is appreciated by the wider rugby public. I think the Contribution to Society award is a good idea, should help to promote the notion that there's more to life etc and provide publicity for good causes. Fair play Donners!
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

No offence to Devin Toner with this point.....who I've spoken up for when he was getting (wrongly imo) slated on here....

But that award is a joke. It's the listeners of 1 radio show who voted. Not 'supporters'. I'm very much a Rugby Supporter, I'm not a listener to Newstalk/ Off the Ball.

Anyway, good for Toner.

Comment

Fair point, Corcioch about the people that voted. I do think he deserved some recognition for the season his had.
        Toner and Trimble were the two players I felt that really upped their game this season. Both have been slagged off by many people. And yet they put in some very solid performances.
        Delighted for Trimble.
        Fair play also to Doc, Coughlan and Jennings on their awards.
        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Congrats to Nicole Cronin on getting the inaugural Women’s Sevens Player of the Year 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
            Fair point, Corcioch about the people that voted. I do think he deserved some recognition for the season his had.
            Toner and Trimble were the two players I felt that really upped their game this season. Both have been slagged off by many people. And yet they put in some very solid performances.
            Delighted for Trimble.
            Fair play also to Doc, Coughlan and Jennings on their awards.
            Agree fully.

Comment

The one that really gets me is the Try of the Year. Yes, it was a great moment when he went clear - I was there and I was on my feet screaming my head off with everybody else - but it was not an impressive try in itself. No criticism of Kearney but the ball popped into his arms and all he had to do was run ffs.

Hanrahan's try, one of the other two nominations, was far better. A couple of high-quality offloads and a fantastic step to score a match winner in the dying seconds. Not sure what the other was but I'd say either would have been better than Rob's.

Comment

Spot on munsterboy. JJ's try was a thing of class and beauty
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
                  The one that really gets me is the Try of the Year. Yes, it was a great moment when he went clear - I was there and I was on my feet screaming my head off with everybody else - but it was not an impressive try in itself. No criticism of Kearney but the ball popped into his arms and all he had to do was run ffs.

Hanrahan's try, one of the other two nominations, was far better. A couple of high-quality offloads and a fantastic step to score a match winner in the dying seconds. Not sure what the other was but I'd say either would have been better than Rob's.
                  I'd go as far as to say Kearney's try wasn't even the best try in that game, Murray & Best's tries were much better in my view with some great build up play in each, Kearney's was essentially an unopposed run in from an NZ mistake.

JJ's try was different class though, superb!

Comment

Working...
                  X